Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: p/s/r drive train clunk,OR RUST
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phoenixred
IS this how one gets the idea to replace all the c/v joints?

I have been driving the wheels off the car this past year after getting things sorted.
Way back when I cleaned and repacked/rebooted the c/vs and then went on to sort out other areas of car and not drive so much.

This is different now. While today is very cold, this low frequency clunk when rolling off seems to be a harbinger of new parts to come.

any thoughts?
thanks
Eric

IT seems cv'sclunking and longs crunching have some sonic similarities.
anyway I've confused the two here!
nomore9one4
Sounds like a CV joint to me.
campbellcj
Hard to say via long distance, but it might also be transmission mounts. When they're shot you can feel the whole drivetrain rocking up and down, sometimes with a 'thunk', when you start moving in 1st gear. If that's it then they're easy and cheap to replace yourself.
brp986s
The 2 times I've had cv's go out there was no warning at all. No sound, before, during, or after. Next thing you know, you're walking home. In both cases the cage snapped and the balls went all over the place. It doesn't take much force to snap the cage so it's not surprising you wouldn't be able to hear it over the din of the engine. The times I've heard odd noises that I attributed to cv's ended up being other things like trans mounts, loose muffler, engine mounts, etc.
phoenixred
QUOTE(brp986s @ Jan 10 2010, 04:07 PM) *

The 2 times I've had cv's go out there was no warning at all. No sound, before, during, or after. Next thing you know, you're walking home. In both cases the cage snapped and the balls went all over the place. It doesn't take much force to snap the cage so it's not surprising you wouldn't be able to hear it over the din of the engine. The times I've heard odd noises that I attributed to cv's ended up being other things like trans mounts, loose muffler, engine mounts, etc.

I admire the amount of restraint in diagnosing long distance from the responses.
I'm apologizing for posting without inspecting, going on a faulty premise.
I guess that is another thing I like about 914eening. I can always can improve trouble shooting skills.

I forgot I had a standing mental note to remove engine and repair long/inner/engine tray in 2009. THE clunk was the last bits of the bottom of the long crumpling where it turns to go up to susp.console. About two months off schedule!

I investigated with an air chisel. This car had f/glass hellhole repair,and little sheet metal layers added to obscure condit of long down by floor jack tray. Spot repair of rocker jack point...all this is now in a bag. Restoration pcs quickly add up to 750$. For the time being i've patched the outer side of the long. The full repair entails fender snipping, and engine removing. Engine is working well, and I'm still not done loving my new 911 Sport trans Mounts.
The scope expands also. I've not mentioned outer firewall problems, and rear edge of floorpans. So for today I patch...
Any More thoughts?Besides changing the title of the thread?Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
r_towle
Clunk when rolling? or a hum or whine when rolling?
Whine or clunk in reverse?
Whine or clunk when turning one way or the other at speed?
A clackity clack sound when turning tight at slow speed?

All are CV joints.

Clunk when starting off from a stand still
First thing I check is all motor mounts, front a rear.
The inner rubbers tends to break over time...those allow the engine to rise up and it clunks.
Rear motor/trans mounts clunk and its hard to see them as bad...you need to pull them out to see a crack...

If no motor mounting issues, its a CV joint.

Also, make sure there is not some thing rolling around in the trunks...BTDT

Rich
phoenixred
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 17 2010, 12:14 PM) *

Clunk when rolling? or a hum or whine when rolling?
Whine or clunk in reverse?
Whine or clunk when turning one way or the other at speed?
A clackity clack sound when turning tight at slow speed?

All are CV joints.

Clunk when starting off from a stand still
First thing I check is all motor mounts, front a rear.
The inner rubbers tends to break over time...those allow the engine to rise up and it clunks.
Rear motor/trans mounts clunk and its hard to see them as bad...you need to pull them out to see a crack...

If no motor mounting issues, its a CV joint.

Also, make sure there is not some thing rolling around in the trunks...BTDT

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I remember seeing your quote about "usenet" before.

Somehow my clunk was caused by Corrosion Cavern decay.

Motor mount was input point for clunk sound -dunno where it was clunking from.

Long inside & out up to suspension console have big decay. I knew this but forgot I was supposed to take a look here in the fall. Meanwhile the previous owners patches disguised and held moisture. Giving rust a big head start!

T air chiseled obvious rot out. I put a patch on it. It clunks no more-for the moment. Now I think to do the proper repair of this area when it gets warmer.
Parts are probably 750, plus paint/materials.

I probably have only 1500 in this particular car, excepting perishables-tires fuel lines,pads,filters. Its a 75 with a very stock rebearinged-not a word apparently-1.8.-23/29 mpg Daily driver.
So maybe a 1000$ in job cost, will still put car at relative tipping point .
thanks
Eric
Gint
I'd edit the first post also. You'll continue to get cv advice. And... welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.