Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zundfolge
My teener has 4 Yokohama AVS Intermediates in 205/50-15.

The rear tires really need to be replaced, but the front ones still have somewhere around half their life left.

So what I wanted to do was just replace the rear tires with new ones and rotate the older tires from the front to the rear.

Problem is Yokohama doesn't make the AVS Intermediate any more ... according to the guy at Discount Tire, Yokohama has replaced the AVS with a new model called the "S.Drive".

Naturally the tire dealer wants me to buy 4 new tires (apparently mixing models of tires will cause the car to explode or something) ... well I just don't have the cash for 4 tires, so I'm wondering if moving the good AVS's to the rear and putting new 205/50-15 S.Drives on the front would be just fine? Is there really some problem with mixing and matching models of tires or is that all just tire salesman hype?
Mike Bellis
I've replaced only two tires on various cars with no problem. The only time it will be a problem is when you have two radial tires and two bias ply tires. Most tires today are radial. The difference is the direction of the threads. Radial goes around the tire. Bias goes from bead, over the tire back to the opposite bead. Replacing with two different tires may make the car feel different on the road to to improved side wall stability. Drive it careful until you get the feel.
ws91420
Putting the old on the rear would make you more prone to fishhtail or have the rear end walk out on you. It is recommended by the tire industry to put new tires on the rear if you are only replacing two. Yes I work in tire and parts sales.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jan 10 2010, 04:33 PM) *
It is recommended by the tire industry to put new tires on the rear if you are only replacing two.

Really? So you don't want to put the newer rubber on the wheels that do the steering?
campbellcj
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jan 10 2010, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jan 10 2010, 04:33 PM) *
It is recommended by the tire industry to put new tires on the rear if you are only replacing two.

Really? So you don't want to put the newer rubber on the wheels that do the steering?

I do not work in the industry, but as I recall the 'rule of thumb' is to put newer rubber on the front for FWD or potentially AWD cars and on the rear for RWD cars.

That being said I believe it's best to have the same model and vintage tires all around.
ws91420
The idea is you can control an understeer problem (push easier than an oversteer (loose).

If you are only buying two new tires, they should ALWAYS go on the rear of the vehicle, and almost any tire shop will insist up on this.

The reason is that new tires are far less prone to skidding in adverse conditions than partially-worn tires.

Generally, it is far easier to regain control of a car when the front end slips (understeer). Most drivers instinctively slow down/brake, which shifts weight on to the front tires, helping them regain traction.

In contrast, if the rear tires slip first (oversteer), the car tends to swing sideways and most people have trouble regaining control. The car is also far more likely to flip if this happens.
Zundfolge
See here I thought I was asking a kinda dumb question smile.gif

This makes it easier anyway as I won't have to rotate the tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.