Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troubleshooting a 76 2.0- Died & will start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I got a call from a fellow 914 guy. His son broke down at school in Corvallis. I live here so I gladly go to take a look. His son was driving & shifted from first to second & it stalled while doing it. It wouldn't start back up at first. Then did & he was barely able to limp it the 5 blocks home. This was with it dying I don't know how many times.
They thought maybe the fuel pump is going out or a pinched fuel line. While he started it for me it died just as he described. I pulled the plate off the fuel pump in the front trunk. I had him start it again. Fuel pump comes on then turns off right about the time it dies. It is so close I amnot sure if it goes off before or after the car dies. I would assume before as that would make sense. The fuel pump only comes one for about 2 seconds if you just turn the key on but don't start it.

Does this sound like the fuel pump is going out?
Or does this sound like the fuel pressure regulater isn't giving the right signal?
Am I asking the totally wrong question?

76-914
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 10 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Okay so I got a call from a fellow 914 guy. His son broke down at school in Corvallis. I live here so I gladly go to take a look. His son was driving & shifted from first to second & it stalled while doing it. It wouldn't start back up at first. Then did & he was barely able to limp it the 5 blocks home. This was with it dying I don't know how many times.
They thought maybe the fuel pump is going out or a pinched fuel line. While he started it for me it died just as he described. I pulled the plate off the fuel pump in the front trunk. I had him start it again. Fuel pump comes on then turns off right about the time it dies. It is so close I amnot sure if it goes off before or after the car dies. I would assume before as that would make sense. The fuel pump only comes one for about 2 seconds if you just turn the key on but don't start it.

Or does this sound like the fuel pressure regulater isn't giving the right signal?

The pump will start and run appx 1.5 sec's when energized by switch.
ws91420
FP will only come on for 2 sec unless the engine starts. Check the fuel filter prior to the pump and make sure it is full. I could never get the filter on mine to fill because of restiction of flow from the tank. If too much air gets in there it can capitate the pump.
jsayre914
use a fuel pressure guage from the driver side fuel rail nipple. watch it, you will know if the pump was the culprit.
Jakeodoule
JR,
I have every part in the fuel injection, including the computer. Your welcome to borrow everything to figure it out. Then I'll just sell you what you need.
Let me know.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 10 2010, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 10 2010, 04:10 PM) *

The pump will start and run appx 1.5 sec's when energized buy switch.

underthetire
I agree with the gauge. The pressure regulator is just that, has no control over anything else on a Djet.
gasman
Remember that the initial "key on" has the pump on for about 1 1/2 sec....The pump will come back on when the trigger points detect the distributer turning. Make sure that the wires to the trigger points are connected and have a good connection.....next check the relay in the engine bay that it clicks on when cranking....or swap out with the headlight relays....it works this way so in an accident, the engine stops and the pump wont keep on pumping.....which is a good thing.
Mikey914
Thanks Jamie,
This is actually my car that I let my boy (the real mikey 914) borrow. Unfortunately, I've been traveling and haven't been able to get down to help out.

If it helps the ignition switch is new, there was a problem with it not energizing the pump as it was worn out. Replaced it about a month ago.

I apreciate the help Jamie.

-Mark
detoxcowboy
This may be a "stupid" input but it happened to me with same symptoms, drive 5 blocks on throttle and then die, start right up drive some more then die, seemed like if I kept the throttle high it would run farther.. solution? Loose Battery Cable.. Just putting it out there...
JRust
I will go switch the relays first. That is easy & I should of thought of doing that while I was there headbang.gif . I didn't pop the distributor cap. I thought trigger points might be a possibility. It's been a while sinc eI have triend to troubleshoot. I can't claim to have ever been to good at it to begin with. So after looking I came home to read my Clymer manual. Of course posting a thread always get's better results. I did both so I will have a better idea when I go back out. Hopefully tommorow smile.gif .

That is a nice looking green Marc. Is it Delphi green? Oh yeah I noticed the 5-lug conversion done. I had a good laugh when I pulled out the 4-lug spare lol-2.gif . Which was flat by the way poke.gif
tod914
JR, you can rule out the pump by running wires to it directly from the battery. Not sure if that will help, but a suggestion anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.