Full Version: 916"s - the REAL ones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
Post it here please.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat,
If you go to the 914 Info page and review the various model year/model/engine configurations, you'll see that there is a 916 section that contains VINs and photos. I'm certain that you would like to expand on this info, but this would be a good starting point.

Paul
smontanaro
Also RoadGlue has 916 threads.
carr914
I think this is the best - Gustls

http://www.oct.at/wos/916/916Liste.htm
tod914
Pat, maybe you can coerce George into documenting/taking shots for you once you decide on your format.
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 12 2010, 06:30 AM) *

wow beautiful picture. Wish I had a copy
914werke
Check out the Paisley! shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 12 2010, 06:36 AM) *

Bill Warner who wrote this R&T article now hosts the Amelia Island Concours.

Isn't it great that we american 914 owners have here in the states the most famous 916? And the only one DOT approved (just look at those side marker assemblies!)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 12 2010, 08:19 AM) *

Pat, maybe you can coerce George into documenting/taking shots for you once you decide on your format.

Tod,
What format?
Admittedly, I was trying to get George to come forward with som pics, but there is no "format".

Just wanted to get some pics onto his forum.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 12 2010, 08:30 AM) *

Hmmm....curious. Was this pic taken at the 1993 PCA Parade concours? I chaired that event & it sure looks live the venue. Unfortunately, I was so busy that I never got to look at the cars! Sure looks like the Cincinnati Convention auditorium.
Pat

Oh, by the way, who's 916? Assuming it's George's due to the side markers.
carr914
Pat, That was at Charlotte Parade 2008, smg914's M-471 is right next to George's 916

T.C.

Click to view attachment
It looks like George & Steve in front of Steve's car.
carr914
Here is a shot of Peter Porsche & Steve - you can just see the rear quarter of the 916 on the left.

Click to view attachment
smg914
Here is a better photo.
Pat Garvey
Let it be known tht am trying to educate myself on non-914-4's. I have no intention of publishing a new book (which would be a disaster).

My intention IS to learn everything about 916's at this point. I will then switch to GT's, after I've been "eddicated" on 916's.
Pat
URY914
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 13 2010, 06:56 PM) *

I am sure that the production 916 models would have had impact polyurethane bumpers with shocks much like the 75 76 models did.
And air conditioning: They would have had to engineer something to not interfere with the firewall. Anyone interested in a 916 that would have cost more than a 911 s would have demanded air conditioning and not a system that intruded into the cockpit behind the drivers seat! (like the 916 of yours truly!)
Gustl
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 13 2010, 12:51 AM) *

Isn't it great that we american 914 owners have here in the states the most famous 916?

why do you think this is the most famous 916 confused24.gif
I'd say they're all famous aktion035.gif

And the only one DOT approved (just look at those side marker assemblies!)

that's not correct - 9142330013 is also DOT approved
it made it in 1975 shades.gif

beerchug.gif

Gustl
ooops - forgot the pic ...

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Funny man. Wolfies car was a grey market import. Mine was officially imported as a new manufactured us spec car with the DOT factory sticker in the door jamb!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 14 2010, 11:46 AM) *

Isn't it great that we american 914 owners have here in the states the most famous 916?

why do you think this is the most famous 916 confused24.gif
I'd say they're all famous aktion035.gif

And the only one DOT approved (just look at those side marker assemblies!)

that's not correct - 9142330013 is also DOT approved
it made it in 1975 shades.gif

beerchug.gif

IronHillRestorations
How about the Jerry Leonard 916? Anyone know if that was a US spec car?
Gustl
definitely not

btw - that'me, next to it smile.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 14 2010, 01:47 PM) *

ooops - forgot the pic ...

So... tell us more about this 916! How could a gap of three years have ocurred between manufacture of the originals to this one?

I'm trying to beeducated here, so please don't send me to other sites. Tell me right here, on this thread. How was this anomoly produced?
Pat
URY914
It's easy. A guy walks in to the factory and says build me a 916.
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2010, 12:57 AM) *

So... tell us more about this 916! How could a gap of three years have ocurred between manufacture of the originals to this one?

little misunderstanding, Pat biggrin.gif

they got produced at the same time - but the DOT approvement was 3 years later, because Georges 916 was delivered to the USA and the black one (which was viper green 1st) was delivered to Germany and came to the States in 1975

beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 16 2010, 01:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2010, 12:57 AM) *

little misunderstanding, Pat biggrin.gif

they got produced at the same time - but the DOT approvement was 3 years later, because Georges 916 was delivered to the USA and the black one (which was viper green 1st) was delivered to Germany and came to the States in 1975

beerchug.gif

Wolfie,
I remain confused!

Why wasn't this 916 imported as a 1972 model? Obviously, it was registered in Germany as a 72 model - or was it?
Pat

screwy.gif
Gustl
the 1st owner of #0012 was Peter Gregg, the car was delivered to the USA
therefore it had the DOT in 1972

the 1st owner of #0013 was a guy from Germany, the car was registered and used in Germany; from my best knowledge it was a 3rd hand car when W. Schulz-Tattenpach bought it and brought it to the USA, where he had a repair shop (in San Francisco, IIRC); this was in 1975 - so the car got the DOT in 1975;
when he retiered, he went back to Germany and took the 916 with him;

beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 17 2010, 04:38 AM) *

the 1st owner of #0012 was Peter Gregg, the car was delivered to the USA
therefore it had the DOT in 1972

the 1st owner of #0013 was a guy from Germany, the car was registered and used in Germany; from my best knowledge it was a 3rd hand car when W. Schulz-Tattenpach bought it and brought it to the USA, where he had a repair shop (in San Francisco, IIRC); this was in 1975 - so the car got the DOT in 1975;
when he retiered, he went back to Germany and took the 916 with him;

beerchug.gif

Thanks for clearing this up for me. Makes sense now.
Pat
Pat Garvey
I don't know what it is about this "914", but it intrigues me to the point an affliction.

I spent the entire weekend research the 916, and cannot understand the secrecy asociated with them! There were only 11 of them, which makes them extremely valuable....yet not in classic Ferrari territory. So, why is it so difficult to come up with any concrete data about anything other than #12?

Oh there's some speculative data about a couple of the cars, which I'm certain that George, Wolfgang, etc already know - but nothing concrete and a little suspect.

For example, from a forgotten euro site it's stated that 9141430195 was equipped with a "2.9 RS motor", yet I'm led to believe it was a simple 190 hp 2.4 S motor.

On carpassion.com, it's stated that #14 was originally black, but repainted to brown metallic.

Also, per carpassion.com, #19 was subsequently upgraded to a 3.2 motor.

And, if #15 was totalled in a crash - when? And why is there no press on such an incident.

These are amongst the most significant Porsches produced (not THE most significant by any means), so why and how do they hide?

I don't mean to sound obsessed, but I hate unanswered questions.
Pat
Pat Garvey
I just noticed that the DOT'd #12 and #13 have totally different placement for the front side marker lights! Guess you could put them anywhere, so long as they were presnt.
Pat
Pat Garvey
Click to view attachmentFound this pic of (I think) #14, after it was reprayed from black to metallic brown.

Told you I was obsesssed!
Pat
davesprinkle
Look at that. The pinnacle of 914 development and it still needs a drip tray.
URY914
I don't know when this list was put together but is not current.
Click to view attachment
smg914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 18 2010, 06:05 PM) *

I just noticed that the DOT'd #12 and #13 have totally different placement for the front side marker lights! Guess you could put them anywhere, so long as they were presnt.
Pat

#12 along with the five 1971 914-6 M471 cars that were originally imported to the USA are probably the only factory flared cars with factory installed front side marker lights. These 6 cars have a unique location for these lights because the factory installed them lower and forward. #13 and most other flared cars that have front side marker lights have them in the standard location because they either began life as a non-USA/DOT car or because the flares were added later to a standard body USA/DOT car.

I also assume that when most people have flares installed on their standard body USA/DOT 914, they either leave the lights where they are or they just have them removed. Most people either aren't aware that the lights were in a different location on the factory flared USA 914s or they don't care or they don't think it's worth the trouble to determine exactly where the factory put them (IMHO).
Gustl
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 19 2010, 02:06 AM) *

For example, from a forgotten euro site it's stated that 9141430195 was equipped with a "2.9 RS motor", yet I'm led to believe it was a simple 190 hp 2.4 S motor.

this was Ferdinand Piech's "toy" - it had a chrome badge on the left corner of the rear trunk that said "Corina 2.9" (Corina is the name of his wife)
car was black with lime green pinstripes and lime green Fuchs

On carpassion.com, it's stated that #14 was originally black, but repainted to brown metallic.

nope - #0014 left factory brown metallic
1st owner Wolfgang Porsche - 2nd owner has it until today (his wife was 2nd owner of #0011)

Also, per carpassion.com, #19 was subsequently upgraded to a 3.2 motor.

correct - but this was done by an owner - not the factory

And, if #15 was totalled in a crash - when? And why is there no press on such an incident.

this seems to be the biggest question concerning the 916 biggrin.gif
no answer till now

These are amongst the most significant Porsches produced (not THE most significant by any means), so why and how do they hide?

Porsche won't share this point of view
and - Porsche once told me, that they won't give any infos about their cars to anybody else but the current owner

I don't mean to sound obsessed, but I hate unanswered questions.
Pat

same here - this made me investigate for a long time
and I got lots of cool infos, but most of it was told to be confident - what I absolutely respect (even when I don't see the reason dry.gif )

bye1.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 19 2010, 04:04 AM) *

I don't know when this list was put together but is not current.
Click to view attachment

pretty old info ... you better go with this info: Gustl's info

bye1.gif
Zimms
Click to view attachment

914 2 33 0013 before the repaint.
carr914
That's bad-ass in Viper Green

T.C.
IronHillRestorations
I'd like to see how they did the MFI system.

How did they get the warm air for the MFI pump, and how did they do the belt drive.
SirAndy
What about the blacked out rear panel between the tail-lights on 914.233.0012?

Did any of the other 916s come with that?
idea.gif Andy
Gustl
nope ... but #0011 got it later (don't know if from the factory or not)

Gustl
btw - I even doubt that #0012 had it from the beginning ...

URY914
I took that picture above in 1983 (iirc) at Daytona.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 18 2010, 09:35 PM) *

Click to view attachmentFound this pic of (I think) #14, after it was reprayed from black to metallic brown.

Told you I was obsesssed!
Pat

SirAndy
More pics of #13 ...

In San Francisco, a long time ago:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In Germany, more recently:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.