Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JMKnight
unsure.gif Would like to know if anyone would give the name of an outlet for fiberglass bumpers, front and rear, for a 914-GT?? I have found a few places that sell these parts, but I know that quality can vary and I would not to end up with thin, wavy bumpers..JKt
DBCooper
Quality... you mean like in a collision? biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jan 12 2010, 10:59 AM) *

unsure.gif Would like to know if anyone would give the name of an outlet for fiberglass bumpers, front and rear, for a 914-GT?? I have found a few places that sell these parts, but I know that quality can vary and I would not to end up with thin, wavy bumpers..JKt

The stuff is all ill fitting junk if you want the oil cooler cutout. We had one of our non oil cooler bumpers fitted to the "last six" that fit great but sold it anticipating to install the original style with the front oil cooler cutout: Well we tried but air and gt racing and absolute junk in composition and fit.....and we sell them!!!!!!!!!!!! If you buy one with the cutout expect to work on it awhile before getting a satisfactory fit (even to the extent of cut and chop!)
SirAndy
I have to agree with the Dr. ...

Expect to do some fitting work, no matter where you buy. dry.gif

George, how about a GOOD(!) replica of the 916 front bumper? poke.gif

I know you have a fairly straight sample to make a mold from.
biggrin.gif Andy
porschecb
QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jan 12 2010, 09:59 AM) *

I bought front & rear non gt glass bumpers from ZERO-KEWL914 on e-bay and they fit perfect. He has them on there now.

Michael
pete-stevers
I have a set for GT racing...had a fair bit of fitting , you will need plenty of fibre glass kitty hair, bondo,thick primer and elbo grease to make em straight.
but it can be done,
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(porschecb @ Jan 12 2010, 11:57 AM) *

I bought front & rear non gt glass bumpers from ZERO-KEWL914 on e-bay and they fit perfect. He has them on there now.

Michael

yes our front non gt stock bumper fits like a glove (so to speak!)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 12 2010, 11:30 AM) *

I have to agree with the Dr. ...

Expect to do some fitting work, no matter where you buy. dry.gif

biggrin.gif Andy

Yes SIR!!! You and I should be photographed lathering up that front bumper from which to make a mold. It would make NATIONAL 914 news!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 12 2010, 12:30 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 12 2010, 11:30 AM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

Yes SIR!!! You and I should be photographed lathering up that front bumper from which to make a mold. It would make NATIONAL 914 news!

thumb3d.gif

Time for a roadtrip!
driving.gif Andy
porschecb
QUOTE(porschecb @ Jan 12 2010, 10:57 AM) *

Michael

He has the GT bumpers on E-Bay also and I would think they would fit as well as the ones I use but who knows. He has sold quite a few sets.

Michael
JMKnight
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 12 2010, 10:08 AM) *

Quality... you mean like in a collision? biggrin.gif

No 914 bumper car, I just want to change the bumpers. No collision adjusted parts. I hate the chrome bumpers and would like an oil cooler installed.
JMKnight
This sounds like fun!
campbellcj
I have an older set from GT Racing - 2004 or so - and they are very nice. Hank told me at the time that he had new molds and these are thin and straight. Nonetheless some fitting is needed but nothing too wild.

Now recently I just got another rear as a replacement/spare and it is a whole different animal - not nearly as nice - thicker and heavier although reasonable straight and smooth. I suspect it has way more resin or filler in it to smooth out the imperfections from tired old molds, or sumthin'
koozy
From what I have experienced, Getty Design makes good products. I have several of their items and the fit is always very good.
campbellcj
QUOTE(koozy @ Jan 12 2010, 11:58 PM) *

From what I have experienced, Getty Design makes good products. I have several of their items and the fit is always very good.

+1 Getty's stuff is extremely good in my experience (I have their lids) plus everything I have heard over the years. If they make bumpers I would explore that option although I'm not sure they do the typical 914 bumpers and spoilers. I believe numerous vendors are selling the bumpers and spoilers made by the same supplier, probably GT Racing although I have no inside info on that.
Rand
Check their 914 catalog link here:
http://www.gettydesign.com/catalog.html

Scott S
I just installed an amber fan shroud from Getty. I was expecting lots of fitment time, but it went on as easy as an origial part.

As well, there was an issue with one of the block off plates, and they had a new one to me pronto. I wouldnt' even think twice about ordering from them - very good folks.
JMKnight
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 13 2010, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(koozy @ Jan 12 2010, 11:58 PM) *

+1 Getty's stuff is extremely good in my experience (I have their lids) plus everything I have heard over the years. If they make bumpers I would explore that option although I'm not sure they do the typical 914 bumpers and spoilers. I believe numerous vendors are selling the bumpers and spoilers made by the same supplier, probably GT Racing although I have no inside info on that.

Thanks, I have checked out their site. There is a very informational article about finishing fiberglass products and they have the GT bumpers I was looking for.
jmill
+3 on the Getty stuff. I have both lids also. Fit and finish were great. If they have what your looking for go for it. I'm surprised that the FG bumpers out there fit badly. It doesn't get much easier than pulling a mold from a bumper.
andys
I bought a Rennspeed fiberglass replica front bumper and was surprised at how well it matched up; nice quality. By comparison, I bought the 916 rear bumper/valence (made from the Mitcom mold) and it fits horrible.

Andys
JMKnight
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 13 2010, 12:58 PM) *

I bought a Rennspeed fiberglass replica front bumper and was surprised at how well it matched up; nice quality. By comparison, I bought the 916 rear bumper/valence (made from the Mitcom mold) and it fits horrible.

Andys

Right ON Andy!! I bought a Mitcom IMSA air dam and I really don't want to use it. That was why I posted the question, because of the that fitting part from 1979.
campbellcj
My "skin" targa top is from Rennspeed and is a nice part as well, although admittedly it does not look too tough to make compared to other parts (like fan shrouds).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.