Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding Saftey around Gasoline?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Ignornat questions but..

When welding in the front trunk A.C. hole is it safe not to pull the gas tank? Full tank gas better?

When welding in the engine compartment (shelf below battery where fuel lines have to be disconnected as they pass through that shelf) what do you do with open fuel lines, cap them? wet towel? Engine will be pulled so I could not just leave them connected unitl I finished??

I have no problem smoking around gas just welding is a little hot spark??
messix
BOOM! welder.gif
rick 918-S
Pull the tank. It's not that hard. It only takes one mouse nest under the tank to open a can of whoopass you will regret. Move the rear lines over and you should be fine.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 12 2010, 09:12 PM) *

BOOM! welder.gif

drunk.gif smoke.gif welder.gif Ba boooom!! Thanks Rick!! Just move the lines over but plug them correct? the engine is going to be out so there will be nothting just move them over connected..

Mouse Nest?? Do you mean seapage? There ain't no mice up front they all working the flywheel.. Seriously though under my tank is clean clean.. been in under there a few times this year, nothing but what the p.o. dropped golf tees and washers//.
messix
throw a big wet towel over the lines and keep them away from where your gonna weld and you'll be fine.
Rand
Echo Troy. Simple, no worries. Throw some wet towels over what scares you.

Keep ventilation open!

You wanna talk about real freaking out, my dad used to weld on gas tanks. He would hook a tube from the exhaust of a running car into the intake of a tank, let that flow a bit, and weld away.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 12 2010, 10:12 PM) *

You wanna talk about real freaking out, my dad used to weld on gas tanks. He would hook a tube from the exhaust of a running car into the intake of a tank, let that flow a bit, and weld away.

You do the same thing with aircraft. They call it gas-freeing the tanks. Blow enough air through a tank for a given period of time (depending on tank size) and fuel used. Viola! It's safe to weld on.

I knew a guy who would let a tank basically dry out for a 1/2 day, then, with a lit torch at arms length, go to the filler neck. A flame would shoot out for a second (read that: explode out). No more vapors. Safe for welding. THAT was a little foolish for my taste.
Scott S
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 12 2010, 10:53 PM) *

throw a big wet towel over the lines and keep them away from where your gonna weld and you'll be fine.

I will be installing the Rick Johnson mount for my -6 conversion - is ot ok to go this route when dealing with the exposed ends of the center tunnel fuel lines?
Thanks!
sww914
I've done all the stuff they say to not do and I'm still equipped with enough fingers to type. Gas doesn't really light all that easily, IMO. But if it does light and there's a lot of it it gets loud.
ericread
There's always the idea of submerging the entire car in water, and welding under water. Much safer... rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
I have heard of dry ice being used. Just drop a few chunks in the empty tank and it cools the tank as well as filling it with fire retardant CO2.
messix
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 13 2010, 09:30 AM) *

I will be installing the Rick Johnson mount for my -6 conversion - is ot ok to go this route when dealing with the exposed ends of the center tunnel fuel lines?
Thanks!

liquid gasoline is not all that dangerous.... but the vapor is!
just protect anything that you don't want splattered with welding sparks and that should have some flammable vapor, liquid or material. if yer gonna weld on the fire wall ya might wanna take the back pad out of the passeger compartment. slap.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 13 2010, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 13 2010, 09:30 AM) *

Thanks!

liquid gasoline is not all that dangerous.... but the vapor is!
just protect anything that you don't want splattered with welding sparks and that should have some flammable vapor, liquid or material. if yer gonna weld on the fire wall ya might wanna take the back pad out of the passeger compartment. slap.gif

Thanks Meesix for the tip, ..
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...Lots of mostly good Ideas , have been submitted. Consider this approach...!. REMOVE GAS TANK...blow out the disconnected fuel lines, shop air.....allow to air dry a day or two....2. move front and rear fuel lines , out of the way as far as possable. cover and wrap them with large soaking wet towels....3. have a FIRE EXTINGUISHER close by, and a hose with nozzle preadjusted for a spray pattern.(to cool , burning materials,and smother flames). popcorn[1].gif
Geezer914
Pull the tank and plug the lines, why take a chance of ending up in a burn unit. Gas and sparks don't mix. Just ask the guy who tried to look in his gas tank to see how much gas was left and used a match.
Rand
It's not necessary to pull the tank and plug/flush the lines. Leave it connected and it's plugged/sealed by default. How is a welding spark going to get to the gas? If you have a leak? You could bounce sparks off your gas tank all day.

If you have wet gas puddling around, it will burn. If you have contained fumes it will explode!! Obviously make sure you don't have either. If you make sure you don't have leaks, you do have good ventilation, and throw a wet towel over anything that could leak fumes or be vulnerable to melting under a spark, it's just not a big deal!

The original question was about welding a front trunk AC hole. It's not like he's using a cutting torch to cut 1/2" plate right above the gas tank spout. But whatever. Do what makes you feel safe. I just don't like doing a bunch of unnecessary work for no valid reason.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 14 2010, 06:50 PM) *

It's not necessary to pull the tank and plug/flush the lines. Leave it connected and it's plugged/sealed by default. How is a welding spark going to get to the gas? If you have a leak? You could bounce sparks off your gas tank all day.

If you have wet gas puddling around, it will burn. If you have contained fumes it will explode!! Obviously make sure you don't have either. If you make sure you don't have leaks, you do have good ventilation, and throw a wet towel over anything that could leak fumes or be vulnerable to melting under a spark, it's just not a big deal!

The original question was about welding a front trunk AC hole. It's not like he's using a cutting torch to cut 1/2" plate right above the gas tank spout. But whatever. Do what makes you feel safe. I just don't like doing a bunch of unnecessary work for no valid reason.

Rand, I could not agree with you more; The input was varied quit a bit. I can see that I would not be in danger on the front or even engine comp, fumes or something extra I coud not see/understand which is one reason I asked to fill the tank first. If I created enough heat to penetrate that far I would not have a front trunk at all. The chance that I have a leak or even a small pool of gas under the tank is minimal as I have changed everything down there and have been under there a couple times this year. and the spark going the one in a million jump to down the opening around the tank to underneath and staying hot enough long enough to spark, it is crazy odds. I just asked in the begining to check prior as I do not think I know everyting. Wet towel ect. to be certain is good enough. I have spilled gas all over me and on the driveway before and I lighted cigs all through the ordeal.. Fumes have to be concentrated and i am bascially outside no garage.

All the input confirmed my original thoughts, thank you everyone.

There is another reason I ask about around gas safety. I loss 90% of my smell sometimes it is better than others but it can be dangerous, I have accidently inhlaed flooring stripper all day and did not realize how much unitl I got sick headache./.
Joe Bob
JB weld or pull the tank, fill with water...or have a pro do it. Unless you LIKE having no eyebrows and a dent in yer forehead.....
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Rico Suave @ Jan 15 2010, 12:50 AM) *

JB weld or pull the tank, fill with water...or have a pro do it. Unless you LIKE having no eyebrows and a dent in yer forehead.....

The OP isn't asking about welding a leak in the tank. rolleyes.gif

Rand's advice is best. The chance of explosion is minimal working near the tank or lines unless confined vapors are sparked. At this time of year the only place where significant vapor concentration might exist is inside the tank itself.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Rico Suave @ Jan 14 2010, 09:50 PM) *

I already have a dent and a mono brow!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 15 2010, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Rico Suave @ Jan 14 2010, 09:50 PM) *

I already have a dent and a mono brow!

lol-2.gif unsure.gif shades.gif
J P Stein
I knew a fella years back that had his face permanently rearranged by a gas tank explosion casued by his welding on it. This is somewhere where I don't screw around with half measures. All the "tricks" to make it safe might work, but you only have to get it wrong once.
I've got enuff explosive/inflammable shittage in my shop that if something ever set it off, half the neighborhood might go up.....and I like my neighbors.

Liquid gasoline has a mass of vapors coming off it......to think otherwise will get you in deep shit.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 16 2010, 07:56 AM) *

.....and I like my neighbors.

Liquid gasoline has a mass of vapors coming off it......to think otherwise will get you in deep shit.

I agree.....even though he's NOT welding on the actual tank as Chris so lightly pointed out in my comment....

BTW, do the neighbors LIKE YOU?
Rand
Personally, I wouldn't weld on a gas tank, even taking the proper precautions. Welding a trunk floor with a gas tank nearby though, no problem with the proper precautions. Big difference.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 16 2010, 08:06 AM) *

Personally, I wouldn't weld on a gas tank, even taking the proper precautions. Welding a trunk floor with a gas tank nearby though, no problem with the proper precautions. Big difference.

I was referring to how I approach the problem. You are welcome to do it any way you like...as often as possible. I know guys that say, regarding fumes, "if you can breathe in it you can smoke in it". Darwin will always be standing by to help should things go awry. biggrin.gif I've been dancing with Darwin for nearly 65 years , but I try to keep the embrace loose enuff to shake free.

Mike:
My neighors put up with me cause the wife bakes them cookies & stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.