Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I officially finished putting my engine back in!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
Well i took the engine out around 4-5 months ago to clean it up and fix a couple oil leaks. A couple weeks later i ran out of work and money and had been searching for a job since. I recieved a decent amount of money during Christmas and New Years and used most of it to finish my car. I get it all hooked up and about 95% road worthy and it doesn't start. headbang.gif The starter spins and the engine gets gas but it doesn't even seem to try to start. I redid almost 100% of the ignition system about a year ago so most of the parts are newish. I checked the coil for a spark and it has one, but when i get to the cap I only get a spark on 1 out of 4 or sometimes no spark at all. So i checked to see if the points were working properly and noticed that the wire that goes from the points to the condenser was fried. I don't know how that happened because i'm 100% sure everything is hooked up right. I quadruple checked to make sure. Any ideas guys?

P.S. I need this car going before Friday so quick help would me much appreciated. Thanks!
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif Do you have the original coil? before installing the new points check the dizzy lead with a volt meter. confused24.gif
rnellums
I'd say it looks like a problem in your dist. maybe the rotor isn't in the correct position when the points open? so it doesn't actually contact the cables. have you tried rotating the distributor around as you turn over the engine?
Cap'n Krusty
That wire fried because you had the wires at the coil mixed up. The point wire and the tach wire go to (-), the thick black wire goes to (+). The Cap'n
underthetire
agree.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 13 2010, 09:51 AM) *

That wire fried because you had the wires at the coil mixed up. The point wire and the tach wire go to (-), the thick black wire goes to (+). The Cap'n

agree.gif

And make sure that you didn't break the center contact off the cap when installing it.

buhs914
Yeah i noticed that i had mixed up the connections for the point wire but everything else was right. I'll install some new points today and go from there.
buhs914
Ok so i put new points in and i moved the weber progressive choke wire to the correct side and now i get a good all around spark.. BUT the battery is too low to spin the starter anymore hahaha
buhs914
Ok so i jumped the car and it started and took A LOT to get it to run. When it did run it ran for a short amount of time and stalled. It does this continually. It runs very sluggishly at first and then once it starts idling it dies.. almost like it's not getting gas but i'm almost positive it is. I also noticed that the carb was spitting quite a bit.. Help please!!

p.s. I've checked the ignition system and it's fine
rnellums
It sounds to me like maybe the timing is off or a vaccum leak, I had the manifold gaskets on my single carb setup blow out when I ran that, made it really hard to get the right amount of fuel to the cylinders. Also my single carb tended to only give gas to two cylinders. Of course Dual carbs tend to be $$ but it made a huge difference for me. No chance of excess fuel pressure I suppose?
buhs914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 14 2010, 10:47 PM) *

It sounds to me like maybe the timing is off or a vaccum leak, I had the manifold gaskets on my single carb setup blow out when I ran that, made it really hard to get the right amount of fuel to the cylinders. Also my single carb tended to only give gas to two cylinders. Of course Dual carbs tend to be $$ but it made a huge difference for me. No chance of excess fuel pressure I suppose?

my manifold gaskets are fairly new. I think it might be the timing as well. I'll adjust it tomorrow and go from there! thanks.
silver74insocal
any chance your gas turned into caca while the car sat? does it run different with starter fluid?
buhs914
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 14 2010, 11:32 PM) *

any chance your gas turned into caca while the car sat? does it run different with starter fluid?

Haha that's a possibility. I'll check that tomorrow too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.