Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track-Day: Streets of Willow Springs 06-07 Feb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
stewteral
Hey Racers:

I'm shouting-out to see how many 914s will show up for the next Speed Trial USA week-end at the Streets of Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA for 06-07 Feb 2010.

I'll be out on Saturday with my V8 car, hoping to finally get the handling dialed in,
and would enjoy having some more 914s show up. On a past outing there were 2 others and we had a great time lapping together. One car was 411 powered and the other had a 911 engine.

My only caveat is the weather: if it rains, I can't get there due to my Hoosier "DOT" slicks. At this point, the weather is forcasted (SWAG) to be dry and not too cool. However, if you have Street Tires, you can have a REALLY FUN time learning to go fast in the RAIN.....it takes Real Skill.

I just checked and there is lots of room in every class, so:
-If you have run track days before COME ON OUT!!

-If you have NEVER been ON-TRACK, COME ON OUT!: Speed Trial USA is THE BEST place to start. They are great friendly people and have a Beginner group with FREE driving school and will teach you how to drive a race track. There are run groups for every level: Beginner, 2 intermediate and Advanced.

There are only a couple cars that are trailered out in full-race prep. All the rest of us drive out with our street-legal cars, have fun and drive home. The track is ENTIRELY safe as it is LOW SPEED (I can only top out in 3rd gear), there is run-off everywhere and NOTHING to hit!

Check out: www.speedtrialusa.com for cost, application, schedule & tech inspection. Yes, stock street cars may run as long as they are safe.

Don't forget that driving on a Race Track is THE most fun one can have, with his clothes on!!

I hope to see you there,

Terry
andys
Terry,

I'll try to remember to bring both video and still cameras, though it gets kind of busy observing your car with binoculars, operating the stop watch, and taking photos and film while riding the pit bike, then be in the pits in time to do the tire temp profiles (but hey, that's all the fun of it!) :-)
You gonna provide the hot coffee/chocolate for your pit grunts?
I noticed the low average is 33 degrees for Feb. 6th. That would make it a pretty brisk morning, and if we get some wind that would be down right frigid! Guess I'd better bring my snow gear.

Andys
stewteral
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 13 2010, 02:25 PM) *

Terry,

I'll try to remember to bring both video and still cameras, though it gets kind of busy observing your car with binoculars, operating the stop watch, and taking photos and film while riding the pit bike, then be in the pits in time to do the tire temp profiles (but hey, that's all the fun of it!) :-)
You gonna provide the hot coffee/chocolate for your pit grunts?
I noticed the low average is 33 degrees for Feb. 6th. That would make it a pretty brisk morning, and if we get some wind that would be down right frigid! Guess I'd better bring my snow gear.

Andys

Hey andys,

You are the Best!! I was going to ask you if you could shoot some video this time.
Any chance one of your daughters would like to come along, shoot video for us?

Hot drinks are a small price to pay for your expertise! How about a coffee/chocolate brew?

Thank God, my racing suit comes with LONG JOHNS! I'll dress in snow-prep too.

See you then,
Terry
Heeltoe914
Andy its down right cold at Willow with wind. Are your girls on punishment?
andys
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jan 13 2010, 05:28 PM) *

Andy its down right cold at Willow with wind. Are your girls on punishment?

Yeah, it's not the temperature of the day; it's the wind that makes it miserable. Did a corner worker day at T9 years ago; what an unforgetable experience that was. Cold, windy, couldn't wait for the day to end! Been going to Willow since the late '60's and it's always the same this time of year. You gonna be there on th 6th?

Andys
campbellcj
Bummer, I am scheduled to be back east at that time. Would love to meet and drive with you guys. Terry - I believe I bought some parts from you years ago when you were just getting started on your car. Sounds like it is a sweet piece of work.

FWIW not sure I would call SOW "low speed" although that is relative of course (compared to Big Willow it is low speed). But it is definitely a safe and very fun track esp. for 914's and similar light/agile cars.

My car is essentially set up for SOW with short gears so I get into 5th and 100 or a tad over on the front straight.
campbellcj
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 13 2010, 06:53 PM) *

Yeah, it's not the temperature of the day; it's the wind that makes it miserable. Did a corner worker day at T9 years ago; what an unforgetable experience that was. Cold, windy, couldn't wait for the day to end! Been going to Willow since the late '60's and it's always the same this time of year. You gonna be there on th 6th?

Andys

For sure -- that place can be dead-still and 25 degrees at the crack of dawn and 75-80 and windy as hell by mid-afternoon this time of year. It beats July though when it's 115 and windy as hell. wacko.gif
stewteral
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 13 2010, 09:50 PM) *

Bummer, I am scheduled to be back east at that time. Would love to meet and drive with you guys. Terry - I believe I bought some parts from you years ago when you were just getting started on your car. Sounds like it is a sweet piece of work.

FWIW not sure I would call SOW "low speed" although that is relative of course (compared to Big Willow it is low speed). But it is definitely a safe and very fun track esp. for 914's and similar light/agile cars.

My car is essentially set up for SOW with short gears so I get into 5th and 100 or a tad over on the front straight.

Hey Chris,

Since I sold just about everything in the original 914 drive train, you may be right.

Hey, if I can't get out of 3rd gear.....wouldn't you call that a SLOW course? Maybe I should have added that it was 3rd gear in a 930 box and it was 105 MPH, but compared to Big Willow and the old Riverside, that's pretty slow.

Come on out and play when you can...It's WARMER in the car when you are driving!! smile.gif

Terry
andys
Since it was raining on Saturday, Terry opted to go out on Sunday. The weather was surprisingly nice considering it rained the day before; Sunny with only a very slight breeze. I did bring all my cold weather gear just in case, but luckily I didn't need it.

Our day was unfortunately shortened due to what are likely bad valve seals, as the exhaust was billowing blue smoke. The car looked the best I've ever witnessed from the addition of a rear sway bar after a previous ATB install resulted in a pretty severe push. Now, he can really get the power to the ground while looking quite well behaved. Too bad we couldn't do any real chassis tuning; Terry was pleased after we softed the rear sway bar, but a black flag sent us home early.

NASA was having an event at the Big Track. I stopped by for a quick walk through the pits, but saw no one I knew so I high-tailed it out of there in order to get home in time for the Super Bowl. There were quite a few 944's.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.