Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker and valance paint gloss level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Getting ready to have a set of rockers and valances shot and need to tell painter thel evel of gross (or matt). We have ability to matt down the paint so need to know percentage. 150 % results in "satin" but that may not be flate enough. Help please !!
Terry
jmill
Krylon satin black looks good, lasts long time. With spray can paint you can do touch up work yourself. Hopefully Scotty or Rick will chime in with mixed paint.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 13 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Getting ready to have a set of rockers and valances shot and need to tell painter thel evel of gross (or matt). We have ability to matt down the paint so need to know percentage. 150 % results in "satin" but that may not be flate enough. Help please !!
Terry

you must use satin trim paint because it has a little flex in it just like the original factory finish. Important because if you paint them with regular paint they will chip right away and look like hell. Also the finish with regular paint will look too smooth
Mark Henry
Mine are way too glossy and it doesn't look right, I'm going the rattle can route to tone them down a bit. You want them to almost match the bumper tops.
Ian Stott
I used Rustoleum Satin Black on my front and rear valences and it looks really good plus it is a good quality paint that is standing up well with no rock chipping or peeling. Taking my rocker panels off this week and will use the same paint so it matches.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
sixaddict
George
When you say satin trim paint....that must be a specific brand and not spray can stuff ....right ??
Terry
tod914
Terry, George was refering to the Wurth brand paint.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2010, 06:37 PM) *

Mine are way too glossy and it doesn't look right, I'm going the rattle can route to tone them down a bit. You want them to almost match the bumper tops.

I can only guess that your 914 is a pre-75 version. If not, pay no attention to this post. If so, listen......

914 front & rear pans, as well as the rocker covers were sprayed with a compound known as Body Shutz(3M) prior to painting. "Shutz" is a protective, rubberized coating that takes paint well and absorbs road rash with little damage.

If you simply use "paint" on the primed surface (you DID prime it, right?), it will take every rock chip seriously & void itself of the paint AND primer. That's why the Factory used "Shutz" prior to satin black paint.

You can still buy Body Schutz, in rattle cans (forget it - wrong finish), or in bulk (quart & up). But you need the low pressure gun to apply it, and an air compressor. The gun operates at about 35 psi for the proper application, after priming the metal. Not a totally expensive proposition - IF you want your 914 to have properly finished panels. Flat painted panel are incorrect.

George, you should have known this!!!!!!
Pat
Mark Henry
That's how I did it rolleyes.gif but the paint I used was too glossy.
sixaddict
Thanks all....Pat ...you saved me butt ! That is what I was looking for and I knew AA response was partial hence my question......May slow the process but prefer to have it right even for a conversion....BTW it is a 74. Pics posted when it is buttoned up on exterior.
This forum brings it home once again
Terry
IronHillRestorations
What I've done in the past is to mix Dutch Standard Gloss Enamel and the same brand of flat, (two parts flat to one part gloss IIRC) with a small amount of some flex additive and it was very close.

I tried using DuPont Imron and Centari with the DuPont flattning agent, and that was a total PITA. I'd use a rattle can before I do that again.
sixaddict
After all the work to perfect rockers we shot 3M body shutz on tonight. Looked pretty rough and not sure this was the right approach but it may be correct ???? After we shoot tomorrow with satin I will know but feels wierd after all that work. WIl lreport back ...we were wondering if ther ewere more than one type of Body Shutz...hoping not!
Ciao and many thanks !
sixaddict
Well ....back to the proverbial drawing board......Finsihed and they suck...Body shutz looks like the moon....Probably have to sand down and start over. Can say never seen anything worse ! Kid that did them should have stopped but I was not there and he did rockers and front valance ....so weekend plans for installation is off .
sad.gif
rfuerst911sc
My 75 roller came with metal rocker covers and front and rear valences that are NOT covered with body shutz. Don't know if previous owners sanded them smooth or what. I'm going to sand them by hand to clean them up and spray them with rattle can truck bed liner. Then I will spray them with rattle can satin spray paint. I am not concerned about matching a OEM finish I just want them to look good and look the same.
tod914
My 75 had no shutz. The texture was from the paint when it was applied. Was suttle. My 74 and 73 seem to have the same finish as the 75, although without removing it can't be 100% certian.
sixaddict
Can anyonr tell me easiest way to removed body schutz...CAn it be sanded....Ill over this error.
Terry
tod914
Aircraft stripper should get the bulk of the old paint and shutz off.
Mark Henry
it's lacquer based so thinners will wipe it off, heck of a mess though
sixaddict
Thanks guys...Mark like your idea ....while messy it will no eat bondo used to perfect rockers...Thanks
Terry
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 16 2010, 02:21 AM) *

Well ....back to the proverbial drawing board......Finsihed and they suck...Body shutz looks like the moon....Probably have to sand down and start over. Can say never seen anything worse ! Kid that did them should have stopped but I was not there and he did rockers and front valance ....so weekend plans for installation is off .
sad.gif

Hey Sixer, I know your atettion to detail is high not only on appearnace but quality and longevity. I have a '74 as well and had all the Valances powdercoated semi gloss black. They worked out great , not "paint stlye glossy at all" and not flat either. Super Durable and keeps looking good after months (daily driver too rain or shine not on a shelf.). Lost most of the little glossy effect they had when freshly powder coated, for more a factory patina.. I am really pleased with.. Cost was only $85 that also included the engine grill 3 section and wiper nuts and all 4 valances.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.