Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Throttle Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
I need to replace the throttle cable. Haynes doesn't discuss this work. I need step by step instructions. Please help. Also what is average time it should take to do the job?

Thanks
Bill Shaffer
Kirmizi
It's pretty basic.
Pretty much the same steps as replacing the clutch cable, except for the fact you're replacing the throttle cable. Look at Chapter 4/Clutch in your Haynes manual. It takes as long as it takes. Take your time and make sure when you install the new cable it's not wrapped around anything, like the clutch cable.
Mike
VaccaRabite
this is not a hard job, but usually requires some cussing and a bit of contortion.

This is how I do it.
1) Remove the pedal board. You don't HAVE to do this, but it sure makes life easier. There is an inspection plate in the tunnel up near the pedal under the carpet, remove that too. Again, if you have tiny hands, you might not need to do this. I have big hands, and need all the space I can get.

2) The throttle cable is attached to the pedal by a ball joint that can be removed. Snap the joint off the gas pedal, and then unscrew the brass cup from the cable. Some contortion and cussing may be involved.

3) from the engine bay, unhook the throttle cable from the motor and push it down below the engine so that it is hanging under the car.

4) put the ass end of the car high enough in the air for you to work and support it with jackstands!

5) from under the car, pull out the old cable.

6) from under the car push in the new cable. DO NOT use a leader line. DO NOT tape, tie, or attach anything to the throttle cable to pull it through the tunnel. JUST PUSH IT THROUGH from the back. The cable has to go trough a skinny tube and any lead line will cause a bind and really ruin your day, week, and maybe month.

7) go forward and dig around the front of the tunnel near the pedals with your fingers until you find the end of the throttle cable. Attach the brass cup to the end. MAKE SURE you are not wrapped around the clutch cable. This is usually where I get all potty mouth, as I have big hands, there is just not a comfortable position to work in, and you have to do this kinda blind.

8) snap the ball cup back onto the gas pedal. Do not yet replace the pedal board, carpet or inspection plate. Lower the car back to the ground and attach the engine side back together.

9) Sit in the car, and work both the gas and throttle cables. Do you feel ANY dragging, or hear what may be a wrap or three? The gas pedal should go down smooth and come back up smooth. Any hesitation means you have a wrap.

10) (no wrap) hey, nothings wrapped! You rock harder then Gene Simmons in face paint. Put back the pedal board, inspection plate and carpet. Have a beer and get laid. You earned it!

10) (wrap) aren't you glad you did not replace the pedal board and inspection port cover?

11) unhook the ball joint again.

12) go back to step 7. Repeat all further steps, as many times as needed.

Zach
azbill
Thanks Zach. That is just what I needed - YOU BE THE MAN!

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.