Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone use recing harness for seat belts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
First Im not going to autox the 914, more of just a feel and looks standpiont, what harness have been used before how do you attach them I'm not looking for some high dollar race one's,just something to give a different feel when getting into the car, I rember a customer had some in his boxter and it gave more of a sporty look and feel to the car... that is what got me thinking of this ... Thanks
underthetire
I had Diest lap belts on a car once. What a PIA for DD.

But, if you really want something
http://www.safecraft.com/product_page.asp?...ductSubCatID=14

Probably going there friday for a extinguisher mock up, I can check them out.
jhadler
The thing about racing harnesses, is that they are decidedly uncomfortable for daily driver use. Why? The only way they're effective is if they're cinched down tight. This gives you no flexibility to turn your body to look around etc. Loose racing harnesses are NOT SAFE.

Racing harnesses are designed to keep you IN YOUR SEAT. They only work if they are tight. There is no inertia reel, no pretensioner etc..

However...

You want a racer look, but OEM usefulness and comfort right? I would take a look at the Schroth Rallye harnessbelts. They include an inertia reel, which allows the torso freer movement, and they include the ASM design to protect against submarining under the lap belt (a significant problem with 4-point harnesses).

I can't say that any of their designs can go into a 914 without some modifications, but they would be the only ones I'd use if I were to use a harness on the street.

Too many people put a racing harness in their car 'casue they look cool, but then drive around with loose fitting and poorly installed belts. These can cause HARM in the event of a collision.

OEM 3-point belts are VERY effective at protecting the passengers in the event of a collision.

If you really want the harness look, without the harness hassle, the Schroth Rallye harnessbelts are a pretty nice option. But again, they may not work in a 914...

-Josh2

Cap'n Krusty
As with many aftermarket components (especially brake parts), it's always wise to stick with DOT approved products. In this case, if you were to be injured in an accident while using a non-DOT approved seat belt, your insurance company could easily tell you "goodbye and thanks for all the dough". Might not be a good thing, financewise.

The Cap'n
underthetire
Oh, crap, he's looking for a recing harness. My bad. poke.gif

Just buy these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-Seat-belt-Co...0112223001r5425
and call it a day.
ConeDodger
I have SafeQuip 5 point installed in the car for EVENTS ONLY. On the street, I use the factory installed seat belts. You can probably get a ticket if you were to be pulled over on some other Probable Cause if the officer finds you are belted with something other than the DOT belts.
jhadler
I have 5-pt harnesses in my car. But they are for autox and track events only. On the street, I use the OEM 3-point belts.

-Josh2
wayne1234
my oem ones are shot.. that is another reason I was looking for something else... I will have to look at the partsd car andd see what kind of condition they are in,, it sounds like more a pain than I first though t
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:35 AM) *

First Im not going to autox the 914, more of just a feel and looks standpiont, what harness have been used before how do you attach them I'm not looking for some high dollar race one's,just something to give a different feel when getting into the car, I rember a customer had some in his boxter and it gave more of a sporty look and feel to the car... that is what got me thinking of this ... Thanks

drunk.gif Chicks will dig it for sure Sport!! I make my "Co Pilots"/"First Dates" where helmets when I strap them in !!
70Sixter
My stock belts might as well be harnesses. Strap in tight and don't try to change the radio settings once in. sad.gif
whatabout1
I remember (1980's) a 4 point system that had an inertia wheel on the shoulder straps.
There was even an upgrade to add a switch to lock the inertia wheel.
It was cool because you had freedom to reach for the radio ...

Can't remember who made them and a Google search turned up nothing.

whatabout1
I remembered

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/...autocontrol-II

They were in a Audi I had a chance to rally.

I may have to see if they will fit 914. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.