Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 musings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
Feel free to share your own ideas that don't rightly fit into any other topic.

1. One of the signs of a truly classic automobile is that they make body kits to make something else look like it. We'll know our 914s have hit truly classic status when somebody manufactures a body kit to make something (maybe a late-gen MR2) look like a 914.

2. Of all the crazy mods out there (like the limo), I'm surprised nobody has done a 914-in-reverse yet. One of the jokes about this car is that you can't tell if it's coming or going. Somebody should replace the front turn signals with red lenses, the taillights with headlights, and turn the cockpit around. I can't decide if the engine should stay where it is and become FWD, or whether the whole drivetrain should move to the other end.

Have a beer3.gif or a smoke.gif and come clean... what are the crazy ideas you've thought of doing?
ClayPerrine
I want to someday make a 914-12.

I would use a VW W-12 motor and a boxster trans. Install the Boxster rear suspension and the RSR front suspension with coil overs.

I have also toyed with the idea lately of a turbine powered 914. Use the APU from an aircraft, and wheel mounted brushless DC motors. The APU runs constant speed all the time, and large capacitors provide the extra oomph when starting. Install regenerative braking to recharge the caps when braking hard, and it would get some really good mileage.......

Ok.. I am insane, I know.
Sleepin
Turbine anything is fun Clay....hell, even a turbine powered blender would rock.

I thought the 914 truck idea was a great one and very fitting to the body style.

I really want to back half a 914 for a BBQ trailer to take to events. One day I will do that.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 15 2010, 09:14 AM) *

I thought the 914 truck idea was a great one and very fitting to the body style.

Almost everyone has seen a photo of the 914 pick up. Going a step beyond that, imagine a crew cab duellie with rear wheels residing beneath GT fenders!
70Sixter
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 15 2010, 12:14 PM) *

It has been done. I saw it at the Pomona sale back in the late 70s or early 80s.

I'm kind of amazed that the reverse has not happened. You know, a fiberglass 914 replica body to stick on your own engine/chassis.

Make your Miura look like a 914?
SirAndy
A while ago somebody posted pics of a FG 914 kit, i believe for a old beetle (?) ...

The thread is here somewhere ...
wacko.gif Andy
Rav914
Here's what I would like to do:

A narrow-bodied light weight 914 using carbon fiber body panels.

Stick a 2.4S motor in it (2.2S pistons). 6" Minilite wheels.

Expensive, but fun.
flipb
Had another random idea:

Has anyone ever attempted a mechanism to lower the rear window? It would have to tilt inward at the bottom to retract on the cockpit side of the firewall.

Certainly not necessary - pulling off the targa top is plenty fun - but it would be a little closer to a true ragtop-style roadster.

And of course, there's the redneck version... putting in a sliding section like a pickup truck.

Anybody seen/done it?
bandjoey
Clay be sure to add the sign. 'Stay back 200 ft from car. Not responsible for burned paint or 914 envy'
blowtorch.gif
sean_v8_914
914 aero is such that fumes enter cabin with rear window removed
it's been done but I want a baja off road 914
kenshapiro2002
I do it every day...going backwards down my driveway. At that point it is FWD. Though tough on the neck it is a LOT easier than turning the cockpit around, replacing turn signals, etc.

QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 15 2010, 12:13 PM) *

Feel free to share your own ideas that don't rightly fit into any other topic.

1. One of the signs of a truly classic automobile is that they make body kits to make something else look like it. We'll know our 914s have hit truly classic status when somebody manufactures a body kit to make something (maybe a late-gen MR2) look like a 914.

2. Of all the crazy mods out there (like the limo), I'm surprised nobody has done a 914-in-reverse yet. One of the jokes about this car is that you can't tell if it's coming or going. Somebody should replace the front turn signals with red lenses, the taillights with headlights, and turn the cockpit around. I can't decide if the engine should stay where it is and become FWD, or whether the whole drivetrain should move to the other end.

Have a beer3.gif or a smoke.gif and come clean... what are the crazy ideas you've thought of doing?

jaxdream
The Fiero got bajaed , why not the 914 ?? Go for it !!!! aktion035.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
zymurgist
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 15 2010, 12:13 PM) *

Of all the crazy mods out there (like the limo), I'm surprised nobody has done a 914-in-reverse yet. One of the jokes about this car is that you can't tell if it's coming or going. Somebody should replace the front turn signals with red lenses, the taillights with headlights, and turn the cockpit around. I can't decide if the engine should stay where it is and become FWD, or whether the whole drivetrain should move to the other end.

As a variation, how about one with headlights at both ends? It's been done with a Beetle.

IPB Image
underthetire
All wheel drive, like out of a Suby or something. Imagine the 360's you pull off with that. It would be like a RC car. Spin right on it's own axis.
70_914
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 25 2010, 12:56 PM) *

All wheel drive, like out of a Suby or something. Imagine the 360's you pull off with that. It would be like a RC car. Spin right on it's own axis.

Been toying with this idea. VW bus syncro parts are spendy though....
Jettin2Class
You mean like this?

IPB Image
bandjoey
Oh get me to dream some more. yellowsleep[1].gif A NEW Rustproof body under $10k. lol2.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 6 2010, 10:05 PM) *

Oh get me to dream some more. yellowsleep[1].gif A NEW Rustproof body under $10k. lol2.gif

How about all carbon fiber, and flared from the get go???

drooley.gif

EdwardBlume
A 914 space shuttle...

Two trunks for space junk and moon rocks... think of the possibilities!

Root_Werks
I would like to see an AWD 914 street car. It's gotta be done. Grab some AWD subby running gear and just do it!

driving.gif
FourBlades
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2010, 10:47 AM) *

drooley.gif

With a tube frame that mounts the stock suspension, engine, tranny...

Like a LOTUS 7 architecture but using a rusted out 914 as a donor...

With upgraded suspension geometry as an option...

Hmm...I just may have to do that.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jun 7 2010, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 7 2010, 10:47 AM) *

drooley.gif

With a tube frame that mounts the stock suspension, engine, tranny...

Like a LOTUS 7 architecture but using a rusted out 914 as a donor...

With upgraded suspension geometry as an option...

Hmm...I just may have to do that.

Naaa.. no tube frame. Just duplicate a 914 tub in Carbon Fiber. Make all the stock suspension components bolt on with no mods. Wiring harness would have to be modified to add grounds to the engine, trans, or battery negative terminal.

As for the 4 wheel drive idea..... how about a Turbine APU from a jet aircraft, and 4 50 to 60 horse DC brushless motors mounted behind each wheel??? No drive train to break, and you would get better mileage on Diesel, Jet-a or even kerosene because the APU would run at a constant speed. Add a bunch of large capacitors to the mix and setup regenerative braking to charge them. So the exit from a corner is powered by how hard you brake into the corner.

Most of this would not be new... It is already been done in a Mini..

640HP All Wheel Drive Mini!
Gary
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 15 2010, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 15 2010, 09:14 AM) *

Almost everyone has seen a photo of the 914 pick up. Going a step beyond that, imagine a crew cab duellie with rear wheels residing beneath GT fenders!

Like this?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.