Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Johnson lifters, any info?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
I found these and want to know if anyone knows what they are. says Johnson on the tag. Anyone have any info?
flipb
Those don't do anything for me.

The hot chicks thread, on the other hand...

shades.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 15 2010, 06:25 PM) *

Those don't do anything for me.

The hot chicks thread, on the other hand...

shades.gif

av-943.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif

I wrote it and didn't get it at first.
Mark Henry
I believe that's a good score, as I think Johnson was one of the brands that was good cam pre-lobe issues.

But they almost look like hydraulics and although someone will buy them they would be scrap to me. Look down the PR end see if it has a circlip, if it does with a push rod push hard to see if its spring loaded. hydraulic if it is.
jasons
I have a set of lifters I am 99% sure are Johnsons. I bought them in like 1998 from European Motorworks. Back then, they were selling Johnsons with their cams. Here are some pics of mine for comparison. And the last one is a pic I found on the internets somewhere.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
maf914
I can't say exactly when it occurred, but a few years ago there were a number of cam-lifter failures which I believe included Johnson lifters and Web cams. I think this prompted Jake Raby to begin a series of lifter/cam tests to try to figure out the problem. That is when the only safe solution seemed to be ceramic lifters $$$. I would do a bit of checking to make sure the lifters you have are okay and compatible with the cam you plan to use.

I have a set of lifters, which I assume are Johnson, from Web Cam, along with a cam, that I bought in around 94-95 for a project. I assume they are okay as they were well before the crisis took place, but I wonder.
bam914
Johnson lifters have a narrow square groove in them like the second picture shows. I have run Johnson lifters on two different cams in my engine and have had no problem with them. They are getting ready to see their third cam.
Jake Raby
Post #5 illustrates solid lift Johnson lifters. The OP does not illustrate any solid lift Johnson I've ever seen, they look like 2002 era lifters made by Engine Power to me and thats probably why they have the EP in their description label.

They could be Hydro Johnsons as someone else posted, but its been so long since I built a hydro engine that I forgot what they look like. :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.