Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 TURBO on the bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2469181229

NJ teener
echocanyons
EvillEd did you find a new project to work on?
Mark Henry
Yep, that Evil Ed's car!
Evill Ed
Yeah, wheels are tuning (in my head) for a new project.

If I get what I feel is reasonable for the turbo, it goes.

If not, it stays and will get a six conversion. If that's the case, look for the complete engine, turbo and injection for sale in the future.

Ed
majkos
Awsome! wub.gif How in the heck you get the exhaust plumbing done? huh.gif Need to see some pic.! If it runs as good as that engine looks! rolleyes.gif Look out!
SirAndy
stupid question:

if you go through ALL that trouble to build a turbo-type4 why the heck don't you list the HP/Torque numbers of the engine when you're trying to sell the damm thing???

that would be a deal-braker for me right there ...
Andy
Mueller
if you go through ALL that trouble to build a turbo-type4 why the heck don't you list the HP/Torque numbers of the engine

it's top secret, it's so much higher than stock that no one will believe it or it's only a few more than stock and it's embarrasing to list it????? laugh.gif

you do have a valid point, however, once posted how much HP he has I bet half of the inquires from eBay people will be how did he build it, what the compression is, bla-bla-bla.....

i think it's in the 180hp range.....he mentioned once that he was getting his clutch to slip while in 4th gear and that the general thought was that the stock clutch is good for right around 180hp....
majkos
ohmy.gif GASP! ohmy.gif
Evill Ed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2004, 12:16 PM)
stupid question:

if you go through ALL that trouble to build a turbo-type4 why the heck don't you list the HP/Torque numbers of the engine when you're trying to sell the damm thing???

that would be a deal-braker for me right there ...
Andy

Why? Cause I don't know what it is. I don't want to post a guesstimate and get flamed or mis-lead anyone. To be honest, I never really cared what the actual number was, the think F#ckin' flyes.

It's alot faster than many of the big bore n/a 4's that I have been in, it's just a fast fun 914.

Ed
airsix
QUOTE(Evill Ed @ Mar 23 2004, 01:06 PM)
it's just a fast fun 914.

Ed

You left out "Great looking"

-Ben M.
Evill Ed
QUOTE(airsix @ Mar 23 2004, 01:42 PM)
it's just a fast fun 914.

Ed

You left out "Great looking"

-Ben M.

And the HP and Torque numbers ;^)

Ed
cgnj
Ed,

If I come up to kick the tires, Can I take it for a joy... I mean a test drive?

Hope it goes to the right person.

Carlos
SirAndy
Why? Cause I don't know what it is. I don't want to post a guesstimate and get flamed or mis-lead anyone. To be honest, I never really cared what the actual number was, the think F#ckin' flyes.
It's alot faster than many of the big bore n/a 4's that I have been in, it's just a fast fun 914.

dunno how much $$$ you spend on the thing, but you couldn't spare the $75 to get an hour of dyno time? confused24.gif

Andy
Joe Bob
Not a flame Ed, just an observation...but...why didn't you mention a FIRM price and offer it to the club first?

Now if anyone is interested from the club, they now have to compete with all the unwashed ebay weasels.....

As an example...as soon as that stoopid piston shows up and I can finish the rebuild, the 2056 goes on ebay. But only after I offer it to the club and rennlist.

It's what I did with Blondie and most of the other stuff I sell.
Bleyseng
It is nice to offer it first to the "family"

Geoff laugh.gif
Evill Ed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2004, 02:17 PM)

dunno how much $$$ you spend on the thing, but you couldn't spare the $75 to get an hour of dyno time? confused24.gif

Andy

I can spare the $75 or what ever it is to dyno it.
I just never got around to it plus I don't even know of any local shops that have one.

This sale thing was not planned, this is a spontaneous thing. I never had any plans to sell it. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't it doesn't.

To your point, Yes, HP and Torque figures would be a good selling point to have.

Ed
Evill Ed
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 23 2004, 02:29 PM)
Not a flame Ed, just an observation...but...why didn't you mention a FIRM price and offer it to the club first?

Now if anyone is interested from the club, they now have to compete with all the unwashed ebay weasels.....

As an example...as soon as that stoopid piston shows up and I can finish the rebuild, the 2056 goes on ebay. But only after I offer it to the club and rennlist.

It's what I did with Blondie and most of the other stuff I sell.

Mike,

I don't know how to price it. I want to use e-bay to gauge what people are willing to pay for it. If I get my price I'll be happy. If it doesn't sell, I have a better idea of what the price range is based on the bids. I think it falls somewhere in between a well done 4 and a 6 conversion car, my reserve is set accordingly.

I wrote in the ad that I reserve the right to end the auction early because I do plan to offer it on other sites. I just haven't gotten to the other classifieds yet.

If any listers are interested in it, let me know. We can work out the details.

Ed
joea9146
QUOTE(majkos @ Mar 23 2004, 03:32 PM)
Awsome! wub.gif How in the heck you get the exhaust plumbing done? huh.gif Need to see some pic.! If it runs as good as that engine looks! rolleyes.gif Look out!

I have seen and driven this car it does run as good as it looks. It is very smooth and done very nicely.

Ed Good luck with the sale...
Evill Ed
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Mar 23 2004, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE(majkos @ Mar 23 2004, 03:32 PM)
Awsome! wub.gif  How in the heck you get the exhaust plumbing done? huh.gif  Need to see some pic.! If it runs as good as that engine looks! rolleyes.gif Look out!

I have seen and driven this car it does run as good as it looks. It is very smooth and done very nicely.

Ed Good luck with the sale...

Thanks for the endorsement Joe.

Ed
ejm
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Mar 23 2004, 04:27 PM)

agree.gif First class all the way...nice linear power...pulls strong and smooth up to redline burnout.gif

and lucky for me it brakes well too....one speeding ticket that weekend was more than enough laugh.gif
Mueller
So Joe, how does it compare to your 3.0 /6???

I would think that Ed's car would be pretty comparible to your's powerwise.....

Ed, mind sharing the diameter of the pipe from your H/E's to the turbo???? How did you decide the size of the pipe?? Of the few 180° mandrel bends i can find, they range from 1 1/2" to 3" diameter (and the radius gets bigger per dia. of course)
Evill Ed
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2004, 05:06 PM)

Ed, mind sharing the diameter of the pipe from your H/E's to the turbo???? How did you decide the size of the pipe?? Of the few 180° mandrel bends i can find, they range from 1 1/2" to 3" diameter (and the radius gets bigger per dia. of course)

The sixes, especially the 3.0L, have way more grunt down low than mine. When boost hits though, my pulls hard and strong. My 1st turbo surpised Dunkle when he looked in the rear view mirror of his 3.0L at 100+ mph and saw me a few car lengths behind him.

I used 1.75-in ID tubing up to the turbo. The ID of the turbo housing is 1.75 as well.

Ed
joea9146
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2004, 09:06 PM)

Ed, mind sharing the diameter of the pipe from your H/E's to the turbo????  How did you decide the size of the pipe?? Of the few 180° mandrel bends i can find, they range from 1 1/2" to 3" diameter (and the radius gets bigger per dia. of course)

I think Ed sums it up pretty good... the 3.0 pulls hard right from the get go.
Lots of low end tork. When the turbo takes affect it's pretty even.
The 3.0 will break the tires loose with very little effort not sure about the Turbo I did not want the beat up a car that was not mine. The turbo goes good... driving.gif
Sammy
Aw come on, somebody has to say it, you can't turbo a 914 wink.gif

That is a deal if it goes for anywhere near that price.

My turbo was a blast and it wasn't anywhere near as refined or finished as Ed's car.

BTW my 911SC is running flawlessly now adays with 5 psi boost, not that I'm trying to steal the thread or anything. Turbos are just cool. that's all I have to say about that. beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Sammy Posted on Mar 24 2004 @ 01:41 PM)

BTW my 911SC is running flawlessly now adays with 5 psi boost

You turbo'd the SC? I need a ride in that car.

I'm going to shoot you an email Sammy.
Dave Bell
So Sammy -

"That's all you have to say"... come on...give a few more details

Did you relocate the turbo or install a resevoir and pump to solve the problem of the oil backing up and getting past the seals?...and what RPM does you Turbo start coming in at what kind of seat of pants HP improvement do you think you got... tell some more of the story.

- Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.