Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clear Coating Rotors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Is it a common practice, or even a sane practice to clear coat new rotors to keep iron from rusting? Saw someone do this and I need new rotors so...
Dr. Roger
I'm not sure if it's wise to apply a paint coating on something that needs to dissipate heat in the extreme.

I've seen anodized...
URY914
WD40 works well.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 16 2010, 07:37 PM) *

WD40 works well.

Agree!
WD40 works well to protect the finish (applied when cool). Clear coating yellows quickly with heat.
I wouldn't do it.
Pat

Addendum: Jeez, I just realized thet you are talking about rotors, not calipers! Pardon me for my stupidity!

I painted my "top hats" with satin black, the inner edge of the disc (where pads do not touch) with silver, and the outer edges with silver. Seems to have lasted OK (15 years), but I don't superheat the discs from auto-x ing any more. When I said "WD40" is was meant for the calipers. Sorry for the confusion. Someone put me to pasture!
tod914
Kevin, unless your doing DE events, just hit the hubs with some primer or high temp black paint. Doubt it will be an issue for regular driving. Most I seen were painted.
KevinP
You are talking about the brake disc rotors- correct?

If so, absolutley NOT!!! With what ever you put on them probly won't stay. Any surface rust they accumulate will come off in time. I know it doesn't look pretty. If you use WD-40 it will get on your pads and diminish some initial braking. I would be aware of that, but it wouldn't stoping me from using it. WD-40 started of as military product for Water Desperant (WD)/light lube.

Its to bad someone doesn't make a stainless steel rotor. There is a possibilty that maybe a ceramic coat might stay on.

Maybe someone can chime in on this.

KP
tod914
Just paint on the top and side of the hub on the rotor. The area that the pad touches.. no paint. Will last a long time and keep them from looking like crap if you prep the surface and use a decent high temp paint. There's an article in my local pca, on tips on how to do it if they are already mounted. Let me know if you need the link. Basically just mask off the area that will have the surface contact with the pads. Easy if they are off.
underthetire
Not a big fan of WD 40 for most things, not a good lubricant at all, and not a good rust preventive. I'll use it to help get stuck fasteners off, but that's about it. Originally, it was a water disbursement agent for rocket fuel, before they went to the jet A fuel. Cast iron will age, it will get to a certain patina then the rust/aging slows. Applying WD will make the aging last longer resulting in even more rust, if not kept up. I've had ex-customers use it to clean machine tools with it just to watch it make a bigger mess a few years later. Regular oil is better, but I painted my rotors with flat black high temp and it stays on fine, but my rotors were already aged. It's not a track car at all though.
URY914
WD40 lol-2.gif
McMark
I used flat black paint before having them resurfaced.
wobbletop
I use BBQ paint on the rotors. Flat black. Cheap and last a while.
bdstone914
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Jan 16 2010, 07:59 PM) *

I use BBQ paint on the rotors. Flat black. Cheap and last a while.

I have zinc plated them. I figure the soft zinc will wear off of the pad surface quickly.
sww914
Wurth silver paint in a quart can brushed on lasts forever. Obviously not on the friction surfaces, that might be too interesting. It doesn't look painted, it just looks silver like it should.
Rand
Painting rotors? How long are you storing them, and under what horrible conditions? Doesn't take much braking to wear off a little surface rust.
Gint
I clear powder coated the rotor tops once. Everything but the pad surface that is. Worked fine and lasted until I sold the car.
kconway
Not the friction surface but everything else as some have commented on, but it does look like some have done it. I'd imagine a high temp type paint, caliper paint might work well for this?
kconway
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 16 2010, 07:54 PM) *

Just paint on the top and side of the hub on the rotor. The area that the pad touches.. no paint. Will last a long time and keep them from looking like crap if you prep the surface and use a decent high temp paint. There's an article in my local pca, on tips on how to do it if they are already mounted. Let me know if you need the link. Basically just mask off the area that will have the surface contact with the pads. Easy if they are off.

Hi Tod,
I'd like to see that link. I'm doing the 5 lug change over so everything is off the car which would make it alot easier.
Kev
Eric_Shea
I've seen anodized...

Anodizing is only aluminum.

I have zinc plated them. I figure the soft zinc will wear off of the pad surface quickly

Agree... zinc plated is the way to go. Most of the new rotors are coming coated now.
buhs914
random and OT but does that avatar with the fly in it appear if you have no picture?
wobbletop
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 17 2010, 02:13 AM) *

Agree... zinc plated is the way to go. Most of the new rotors are coming coated now.

I wish I had the technology to do that.
tod914
Kev, here's the link. http://www.nnjr-pca.com/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=117
Eric_Shea
Zinc plated with hat painted:

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.