Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
hi guys,
any words of wisdom on removing the dowel pin from the front part of the rear linkage bar? I know it requires a press, but if theres a way to do it without going to a shop let me know. oh and no, i havent beat it up with a hammer (was told it would mushroom and never come out) thanks in advance, Dave
buhs914
put a socket on one side that's wide enough for the pin to fit in and take a punch to the opposite side and hammer it out. That's what i was told and i tried it and it works great. The pin is pretty solid but the coupler isn't so be careful. And also the first couple hits will be a PITA but once it starts moving it'll come right out.
McMark
agree.gif

Except not a punch that has a pointy tip. Get a pin punch, which has a flat tip and is the correct diameter. Your FLAPS should sell an assortment of pin punches that is useful for many projects. You can also use a vise with the jaws opened only enough to allow the pin to pass, instead of a socket.

More about punches.
rfuerst911sc
Do you own a bench vise ? If you have a decent size vise you don't have to hammer it out. On one side you use a socket the same diameter as the housing itself, this is to support the housing as you push the pin out. On the other side use a socket preferably a deep one that is a little smaller than the OD of the pin. An extra set of hands is helpful to hold/line everything up but once the vise is tight you just keep cranking the handle and the pin comes out. Once the pin starts to move you may have to readjust things to push it all the way out. Inserting the pin after new bushings are installed is basically the reverse order. I have used this method on two different occasions and there were no issues and I didn't crack the housing. My fear with the hammer method is that if you get too aggressive you might crack the housing.
AvalonFal
Maybe a pic helps.

Paul
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Soaking it with PB Blaster before starting will also help a whole bunch.
silver74insocal
thanks guys im gonna tackle it today with this info. much appreciated, Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.