Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 gearbox conversion kit (915 to 914)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bugat5speed
Click to view attachment

Hi altogether,

still not on our site (www.bugat5speed.de), but ready for market within the 1st quarter of 2010.

916 gearbox conversion parts. Conversion kit is very near to the OE Porsche 916 kit that was offered in small qty. in the 70s.

Kit is with the original 916 OE repro sideshift, mechnical components inside and with a very short nosecone (even 5 mm shorter than OE parts 916). Usage of original exhaust systems is no problem.

Complete kit for usage with electronic speedometer will be about 2.100 Euro for export (without VAT).
With mechanical speedo drive it will be 2.225 Euro
Freight cost to the US about 50 Euro.

For more info (upload of pictures is limited here) please send me a PM or better mail to info@bugat5speed.de

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed
Germany
smontanaro
Sorry, but what is a 916 transmission? How does it differ from a 901 or a 915? What were they installed in? I see a photo gallery on Armando's 914/6 GT website which suggests they weren't standard fare for the rest of us.

Thx,

Skip
bugat5speed
another picture that shows space between nosecone and exhaust. Here a 1.7 engine with dummy 915 gearbox:
bugat5speed
916 is only a Porsche project name for this gearbox. It means that a 915 gearbox was adjusted to fit the 914 with own Porsche manufactured parts. It was only offered in a very small qty. that days. Nowadays it´s become more common and necessary if you install a big 6-cylinder to your 914.
Important is that you don´t need a different exhaust system and that the shift mechanism is going directly into the gearbox (like the 914 2.0 version). It does not have an extra turn of the shiftrod like the 914 1.7 had. That means it´s as precise as the later 914 gearbox (compared to the older type).

See one more picture of the mechanical components (Porsche OE repros also):
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jan 17 2010, 12:25 PM) *

Sorry, but what is a 916 transmission? How does it differ from a 901 or a 915? What were they installed in?

They were installed in - wait for it - 916's...

A very small run of 2,4-liter 914.6 made for 'friends of the Porsche family.'

Basically it is a side-shift, flipped R&P, 915.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 17 2010, 09:40 AM) *
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jan 17 2010, 12:25 PM) *

Sorry, but what is a 916 transmission? How does it differ from a 901 or a 915? What were they installed in?

They were installed in - wait for it - 916's...
A very small run of 2,4-liter 914.6 made for 'friends of the Porsche family.'
Basically it is a side-shift, flipped R&P, 915.

agree.gif

Very nice! Those haven't been available in a long time, it's good to see someone doing a reproduction.

It's good to have alternatives as right now the only sideshift conversion for the 915 that is readily available is the WEVO sideshift kit.

Martin, you can add multiple pictures to a post or simply make a new post in your thread for each picture.

bye1.gif Andy
bugat5speed
Andy,

thank you for your positive comment about the kit.
I tried to add more than one picture to a posting but received an error message. Already reduced the size of each pic to less than 500 KB (think that´s the most that´s possible, isn´t it so?).
Perhaps I make mistakes.
Can you give me a link to the info about how to install pictures.

If you all need more info, please let me know!

Thank you for being so kind to let me post here!

Martin Bott

Bug @ 5-Speed

SirAndy
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 17 2010, 11:59 PM) *

Can you give me a link to the info about how to install pictures.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637

If your pictures are close to 500k in size, you can only add one per post. Currently, the upload size per post is 500k.

In that case, you need to add a post for each picture ...
bye1.gif Andy
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 17 2010, 09:16 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi altogether,

still not on our site (www.bugat5speed.de), but ready for market within the 1st quarter of 2010.

916 gearbox conversion parts. Conversion kit is very near to the OE Porsche 916 kit that was offered in small qty. in the 70s.

Kit is with the original 916 OE repro sideshift, mechnical components inside and with a very short nosecone (even 5 mm shorter than OE parts 916). Usage of original exhaust systems is no problem.

Complete kit for usage with electronic speedometer will be about 2.100 Euro for export (without VAT).

For more info (upload of pictures is limited here) please send me a PM or better mail to info@bugat5speed.de

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed
Germany

bugat5speed
Hi,
today I received further casted parts from the faundry. These parts sit on the underside of the gearbox and contain the shiftrod and the shift rocker. They still have to be milled, but currently I suffer from a cold I caught outside. Only the mechanical speedo drive still has to be finnished. I´m currently designing it with CAD. For those who use electronic speedo drive the kit will be available by the next two weeks.
Look at the pics!

Martin
zymurgist
Outstanding! thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
Very good thumb3d.gif smile.gif
bugat5speed
Hi,
finally received the other 4 sets of the shift housings yesterday. Now we can start milling the first 5 sets of these cases. Additionally received the first batch of 8 shiftrods from the fellow that works for me. They are very good and it´s not easy to see a difference to the origianl part. Lot of work with these shiftrods, but result is good.

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed

Click to view attachment
bugat5speed
picture of the shiftrods:

Click to view attachment
turboman808
Can't wait to get ahold of these parts.
spaceshuttle
U.S. Price Conversion?
RON S.
This kit looks a lot like the one on www.elevenparts.com

http://www.elevenparts.com/viewer.php?id=8...es/880/elevenp0

a beautiful kit, but I'd bet the price would be almost 10000 euros.

to sporty for me.

ron
bugat5speed

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed
Germany

Price was in the first posting- quite easy to find (-:

The one shiftrod original 915 (from your gearbox) plus the other shift part in exchange only (or core)

Martin Bott
bugat5speed
23.2.2010:
pictures of the milled shift housings. The long drill for the shiftrod still has to be done. Have to do an external order on the mill first.

Martin Bott
bugat5speed
picture from the other side:
turboman808
Hey Martin.

I sat here for probably an hour and stared at how this all goes together. Now that I think I have a good idea of how it all goes together I was thinking possibly down the road it would be very easy to modify the small block of aluminum to include a shift gate along the back much like what Wevo made.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/22513157

But one thing at a time but that would be really cool if you made that down the road.
bugat5speed
Hi,
could do the housings first. Will start the external order tomorrow. Housings finnished now. Look at pictures.
@Turboman: if you used my shifter there´s no need to make such a shift gate at all. My shifter has three independant layers and there´s reall no need to do such thing.

Martin
bugat5speed
another picture:

dflesburg
So how hard is it to put this togeather and get everything working right?

bugat5speed
Hi altogether,

am nearly finnished now with all parts. Received further parts from the turning workshop (ballhead-lever, shiftrod). Only thing left still is the intermediate plate of the shift housing. We started making clamping fixture yesterday and I can probably start milling on Monday.

Mounted an old magnesium case 915 gearbox with my parts. Used the original 916 shift housing as my intermediate plates are still not finnished. Only made one adjustment of the shiftrods inside and the gearbox shifted really brilliant.

Will make some more pictures of the mounted unit and show you (didn´t have my digicam with me when I was in the workshop yesterday).

We made a further and even better batch of these bearing supports that have to be mounted into the gearbox. They are milled out of a block of billet aluminium. Pictures to follow also.

By mid of next week all parts will be done. Only issue then is the mechanical speedo drive. Will be important for those that will use the old magnesium case 915 gearbox. That will be the very final part.

Will keep you informed and post further pictures.

Martin Bott
Keep them coming.. can you 'covert' to USD the total landed cost?
Dr Evil
He posted 2,225 euro with mechanical speedo and 50 eu shipping.

= $3,130 shipped
bugat5speed
here are the new bearing supports made from billet aluminium. Price seems to be wright. Currency is 1:1,37 about currently.

Martin
RON S.

I sent Martin a few questions about the kit.

One thing he told me was that this was not going to be a 1 run of X number of kits and it's done. he stated that he will have kits in the future for sale.
I too would like to buy a kit to replace my Vellios unit. I am going to buy one in the future once the iffy job situation I have becomes more stable.

His kit price is very reasonable. In the FWIW department, I did get a response back from Elevenparts.com on the exact repo kit they have(see below), and I was right on the money. Their kit is $10,000.00 euros plus delivery.

Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:46 AM
To: Ron Szymanski
Subject: Re: I request more infos about: Porsche 916 gearbox shifting mechanism (Art. 880)

Dear Mr. Szymanski

euro 10 000

regards

Martin really has an opportunity to make some sales here.

Ron

bugat5speed
Hi Ron and all of you:

it´s done. Today milled the intermediate plates. See pictures. I know of the prices of the others. I think they´re much too high. Might be that I will have to increase the price for the version with mechanical speedo drive a little, but it was my aim to offer this kit at a reasonable price.

Martin
turboman808
great to hear they are almost ready.

I will be super excited to start thrashing the gears again.
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Mar 15 2010, 11:08 AM) *

Hi Ron and all of you:

it´s done. Today milled the intermediate plates. See pictures. I know of the prices of the others. I think they´re much too high. Might be that I will have to increase the price for the version with mechanical speedo drive a little, but it was my aim to offer this kit at a reasonable price.

Martin

Martin,

What's the little black switch in the housing for- a back up light?

Looks great!
SirAndy
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 17 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Martin,
is it possible to get a set without the new nosecone? Just the actual shift components?

If so, what would the price for that be?
idea.gif Andy
bugat5speed
@0396: it´s the switch for the reverse gear light (back up light)

@Sir Andy: sent you a PM

@turboman808: will try to keep my promise on delivery date still this week (latest early next week).

Thank you all for your interest and your positive comments on the parts.

Martin Bott
RON S.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 16 2010, 08:07 PM) *

Martin,
is it possible to get a set without the new nosecone? Just the actual shift components?

idea.gif Andy

interesting question Andy,

I just sent Martin an e-mail asking the same thing since I already have a Vellios side shift installed and working.
And, I would suspect that there are a lot of Vellios units out there in 914/6's that owners would possibly be eager to jump at the chance to benefit from a possible shift upgrade without a huge new expense.

Just a thought.
Ron
QUOTE(RON S. @ Mar 17 2010, 03:54 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 16 2010, 08:07 PM) *

Martin,

idea.gif Andy

interesting question Andy,

I just sent Martin an e-mail asking the same thing since I already have a Vellios side shift installed and working.
And, I would suspect that there are a lot of Vellios units out there in 914/6's that owners would possibly be eager to jump at the chance to benefit from a possible shift upgrade without a huge new expense.

Just a thought.
Ron

Add me to this list... Yes,,, I'm also interested in all the 'other' parts - except the tail housing..

bugat5speed
Hi 0396,

will write you a PM on this matter.

Martin
ChrisFoley
That looks super good!
spaceshuttle
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 26 2010, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Jan 17 2010, 09:16 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi altogether,

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed
Germany

I want one. When is it ready.
LC
bugat5speed
@ spaceshuttle,

the kit is ready and I currently have two kits left in stock. Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Martin
bugat5speed
Hi together,

we made the first two conversions with the kit now and it works very fine.
Wanted to inform you that we engineered and milled further different bearing supports for the later 915 gearboxes with aluminium case. For this gearbox the bearing supports from the old 916 kit from the 70s don´t fit. We had to find a way to fix these supports in the gearbox as the later 915 does not have the three casted positions where you can cut threads to fix this support. Will make further pictures at short notice to show you details and supply them here.

Martin
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bugat5speed @ Apr 26 2010, 03:42 AM) *

Hi together,

we made the first two conversions with the kit now and it works very fine.
Wanted to inform you that we engineered and milled further different bearing supports for the later 915 gearboxes with aluminium case. For this gearbox the bearing supports from the old 916 kit from the 70s don´t fit. We had to find a way to fix these supports in the gearbox as the later 915 does not have the three casted positions where you can cut threads to fix this support. Will make further pictures at short notice to show you details and supply them here.

Martin

So you're saying we didn't have to do all this? dry.gif slap.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bugat5speed
Sorry Chris,

if we had talked about it it would not have been necessary. Did not get an email. Nothing in spam-filter either. Thought that the gearbox to convert was a magnesium-one.

Will add some pictures the next days.

It will be easier with the next alumnium 915.

Martin
ChrisFoley
I sent one email before beginning the alterations and another one as soon as we were finished. I also replied to your most recent email.
No worries. We were up to the task. It was just a bit more than expected. Before starting we were unaware the trans was not a real 916.
bugat5speed
Click to view attachment

Hi Chris and all of you,

here are first pictures of the bearing supports for the aluminium 915. Not completely finnished, but the final milling will be done this weekend. You can see that the base of this support is wider and that it by this sits where the shiftrod originally was supported. I have a part made on the lathe that will be fixxed in this position of the shiftrod with clue (don´t know the right word now). In this part a pin will be installed. On this pin the new bearing support will be placed. One thread M8 will have to be cut in the one position in the gearbox that is existing in the alu-915.

Martin
bugat5speed
another picture:
bugat5speed
more pictures instead of explanations (sometimes not so easy for me in English):

Click to view attachment

Martin
bugat5speed
and another one:

Click to view attachment
turboman808
HAHA That would have made it easier. Everything went together real nice and the car shifts really well.

Seems everytime Chris opens up my car he finds a new surprise. He may open the motor someday and find that it's powered by squirrels.
bugat5speed
Hi turboman808,

nice to hear that it´s working fine.
Attached another pic with the shift mechanism.

Click to view attachment

Martin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.