Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
I'm going to call around and shop for a new windshield install.....

do I need to buy those plastic clips before I schedule the work or will the installer have those already...

also, I have a fear that they will damage the trim or something... Is there anything preventative I can do.. any tips out there...

thanks everyone
brant
RON S.
Brant,
A couple things.I replaced my windshield a couple years ago.
I went to all the usual places to get estimates.I even watched some of the installers doing some jobs,on various cars.
I decided to do the job myself as I didn't trust what I'd seen working on other peoples cars.
I paid about 175.00 out the door for the windshield.
Do yourself a favor and buy a new set of clips,there relatively expensive for what you get but I guarantee your old ones will refuse to hold your trim down in 2 or 3 spots when your done.New ones will work every time.
Lastly,aftermarket windshields have slightly less curvature vertically.Ya won't notice it lookin at it but when ya lay the windshield in the upper corners on both sides usually need to be pulled smash.gif down for some til the windshield begins to set in the sealer.
I've been told by Brad Mayeur that only the factory original ones fit perfectly.Mine was a PPG windshield.
Good luck,don't be skeered.
Ron
2-OH!
I called Triumph Auto Glass (nationwide) and I used their black flex-i-seal trim...Rubberized plastic and no clips are necessary...They came to me and installed the the whole thing...$250...I used the aftermarket glass made by a company (believe it or not) XYG...The PPG glass is 3/16ths thick and I think the XYG is a little bit thicker, closer to the OEM 1/4...

I like the result...

The factory clips are almost one time use...You will break most of them on removal...The aluminum trim will get bent up during removal, paticularly the small corner pieces...

2-OH!
machina
I just ordered the set of clips.

Ended up installing a lexan windshield because it was the same price as a new glass one from PPG. (lighter too.) rolleyes.gif

We still used the clips to hold the trim. I probably have the only racecar with a lexan screen attached with nutplates but retaining the trim.

Kept the trim because vintage group likes it that way.

dr
majkos
cool_shades.gif Brant.Is the new windshield for the beautiful green car? There's another thread going on for a daily driver car. I don't know if you can part with your latest find. If so, I hope it can stay here in Colorado!
maybe Ferg should buy it! clap56.gif
davep
Be sure the windshield is set to the proper depth in the frame. If it is not set low enough the trim will not fit into place. It is best to measure things before removal to know exactly where they have to go back.

DaveP
brant
so does everyone agree that I need to buy these clips before I schedule the appointment, and then carry them in with me?

or do installers have these clips already (some generic version for old car trim)

I'll call pelican or someone to get them... Is it 19 that I need?

b
Dave Bell
By the clips ahead of time... a full set

Take the trim off yourself if think you can be more careful than the guys at the windshield place... Windshield stays on without the trim ;-)
Gint
Brant,

What Dave said. agree.gif Remove the trim yourself (it's not hard and you'll do better than they will) and buy the clips to take with you.

Hinkle just sent an email to the local list with regard to a local glass installer that had a really good price on WS. I can re-send it to you if you didn't get/lost/need it.
brant
mike g,

Hinkle's place went up 50$ at their cheapest outlet...
150$ at their other outlet.... (plus the annoying thing is that they will only do it in house... meaning they want me to drive to their store and wait 4 hours... for them to do it, litterally they told me they would need the car for the entire am)

so far the best I've found is 226 local.
I'll order the clips today.

thanks for the advice all
brant
jonwatts
What about the black plastic spacers used to center the windshield in the frame? These are different than the trim clips, no? Are they available?

synthesisdv wrote:
Ended up installing a lexan windshield because it was the same price as a new glass one from PPG.

Mind if I ask who's lexan windshield / where you got it?
Gint
so far the best I've found is 226 local.

That's still $50 cheaper than the one I had installed in the Brown car. But then it was a Saturday...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.