Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 928 v8 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
I have two donor 914's, I can get a 32 valve 928 motor for alot less than a 6 cylinder.
When I am done I can still race in the PCA club.

So, I have seen a few (cant remember alot of detail, but this has been done before)

What do you guys think...

from what I read about 928's, I can get to 400 hp fairly quickly with a supercharger...

Rich
rick 918-S
I'm getting closer to completing my 928 conversion. It's not impossible but it's not for the faint of heart. There are a few clearance issues. Like the shift rod, the oil pan length & width, not to mention the overall length of the motor. It's about 5" to 7" longer than the heavy chevy. I Know I've been promising to update the web site. I'm not lazy just busy.

Check it out.
http://www.d.umn.edu/~jrichar4/alien.htm
r_towle
Hi,
Please tell me about the clearance issues...
This is the key.

What did you have to do to the firewall???
How far forward will the new firewall have to be when you are done?

I noticed you moved the tranny back two inches...
doesnt this change the angle of the axles, and does it work with so much HP???

shifter rod and oil pan...
I assume that the rod could be manufactured somehow, I wont know till I see it.
The oil pan is a new glitch...please tell me about it...

Really interested in where you are with the project...
I have looked all over you site and I see nothing new... so tell me whats not there please please...

BTW I am not of the faint of heart.
I am convinced that for what I want in a car, what I'm willing to spend, this is the way to go...
I want all porsche (chassis and motor) to enable me to stay in the PCA racing.
I want to put the HP in this car that it should have, but not get a six...to much money, not enough HP/dollar
A 300 hp six will cost $6000.00 from what I can tell just for the motor.
A 32 valve 318 HP 928 engine $1500.00 at the junkyard.
More money for a coil over suspension etc...
I feel that the six parts etc are over priced.
I like the idea of merging two of the porsche bastard cars into a great race car that will make the 911's watch from behind...... :-)

Rich
JeffBowlsby
The 928 transplant has been done successfully before....I think they used the 928 transaxle as well and it seemed to fit well...I have a photo of that somewhere but I will need to look. Here is one of the engine bay:
Mueller
I posted a bunch of photos of two different 914's that had 928 motors in them on the old Porschev site, not sure if I still have them around anymore or not. Both are black and evil looking devil.gif

One was the early 16v motor and the second one used the 32valve motor. I believe both had been up for sale in the 50k range. Awsome installations from what I could see in the pictures. One had a 915 tranny and the other one used a 930 gear box.

Rich (towle),

928 engines are heavy and costly for parts as well....just check out Devek for prices !!!! I had an early Euro motor that i had planned for a 914 swap....not worth it (to me) for the amount of work and money to be spent....but I am not building an all out race car. I think what the other Rich is doing is great and I admire his hard work and novel ideas (shortening the bellhousing is a great idea)

Personally, I'd find a Boxster or 996 engine (these can be had dirt cheap as well) and go with that. It still will be a lot of work.

Just becareful about the all Porsche concept idea and ruling...I think certain regions will say that, but they go one step further and have a clause about the car being delivered or sold in that basic configuation and might want to put the car in the Exhibition class which would suck if you want to race for points.

Mike Mueller
campbellcj
Mueller is correct about watching the rules carefully if you plan on any track events. Most of the groups have "approved" engine swaps, which for the 914 generally means the air-cooled 911 engines. For the early 911's, it means the later 911 air-cooled engines. The rules are generally not written to allow for true hybrids like 928 engines in 914's or 944's, or Boxster/996 engines in air-cooled cars.

From what I recall, Roland Kunz in Germany posted the info and pics about the two "high-end" ($50K) transplant cars last year. The posts should still be on the Pelican BBS if you feel like searching there.
Sleepin
I don't think it can be done. rolleyes.gif

Some of these old threads are fun to read.
TheCabinetmaker
Ha. But it was.
rick 918-S
Alien sighting. assimilate.gif I think it's like a turbo on a type IV. Can't be done. cool_shades.gif

I should have finished that car. smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I believe there is one in Germany that had the body stretched 7" to fit the engine better. You could shift the engine back but you would need a Subie transaxle to put the half shafts back in line with the wheels. I hope you do it! We need another conversion around here!
DBCooper
Not this one? German 914 with 928 . .Don't think the car was stretched, but it's wedged in there.

And how it sounds: Oh My!!!
sixnotfour
The streched 914-8 was made here in america, I saw it at the Monterey Porsche Parade 1990 ?, they had just painted like the night before, It was Gulf Blue, It was also in the Panorama after that. December 1990 issue
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.