Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name this Nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gudhjem
I'm missing one of these fasteners. Anyone know what they are called and where they can be bought? They clip onto sheetmetal and substitute for a welded-on nut.

This one clips into the dash substrate and accepts a bolt from the knee pad. The doors use a couple of them to, and they appear in a few other places.

Anyone?

--Steve

ericread
Julio.... or maybe Bob?

smile.gif
ws91420
They are generally called speed nuts.
underthetire
I had one come apart on me to. I was able to get something close enough at Orchard Supply Hardware, but it had SAE threads.
spare time toys
could be a clip nut or a barrel nut hard to tell in the photo
ericread
Looks like a clip nut to me. Speed nuts are usually single-use fasteners and many times have a rubber/neoprene backing.

Eric
mojorisen914
Those are different from a 'speed nut'. I ran into the same problem when I dropped the knee pad during my resto. Not sure if a specialty fastner store would have them or not. I used some creative engineering to fasten the knee pad back since no one would ever see it.
Gudhjem
Thanks for the replies. Clip nut was enough to get me there. Looks like those selling them call them "cage nuts[b]."

In this case, M6 cage nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ZS&v=glance

Turns out, Julio ,is also correct.
IronHillRestorations
Yea, that's a square nut that's captive in a square bracket that clips into a square hole. I'd bet there's a part number for that somewhere.
bandjoey
Don't know what to call them Other than really big nuts but I've probably got a few in my bolt jar. If no one comes up with some I'll check tomorrow and let U know. How many do you need?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Jan 17 2010, 03:23 PM) *

I'm missing one of these fasteners. Anyone know what they are called and where they can be bought? They clip onto sheetmetal and substitute for a welded-on nut.

This one clips into the dash substrate and accepts a bolt from the knee pad. The doors use a couple of them to, and they appear in a few other places.

Anyone?

--Steve

Caged Nuts, Available at Ace Hardware..
Gudhjem
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 17 2010, 05:23 PM) *

Don't know what to call them Other than really big nuts but I've probably got a few in my bolt jar. If no one comes up with some I'll check tomorrow and let U know. How many do you need?

Thanks Bill. Local hardware didn't have any metric ones. I already ordered some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.