Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT, but car related
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
I have an almost new Subaru Outback. It had 5000 miles on it, and a local Subaru dealer here in SC changed the oil before my son drove it to Colorado for to ski over the Christmas hollidays. On the way back near Albuquerque, the oil plug came out, and as you can guess, ruined the engine. The dealer is supposed to repay for a rental car they drove back, and the dealer has had the car towed back to SC. They are supposed to put in a short block. Should I be OK with this, or could I push it and get an entire new engine? So far, they have been fairly nice. Just wanted to know how far I should push. The car now has only a little over 7000 miles on it.
Thanks, JoeO
Mike Bellis
I would push for a new long block. the rockers may have damage. ar15.gif

Here's a story for you...

Took my GMC to the dealer for the 30K service. No problems with the truck before arriving. Got a call "The intake manifold is cracked and needs to be replaced". It was not cracked before I brought it there, I told them.
"Well, we will split the cost with you for the repair" the dealer said. How much? $800 my cost. Fuck! headbang.gif
Dealer called me back a few hours later... "I'm really sorry, it appears out technician dropped a bolt into your intake before he drove the truck. We have to install a new engine at no charge"
Does this happen often, I asked?
"It's the third time he has done this", the dealer said chair.gif lol-2.gif

I got a new engine and the Tech got fired... confused24.gif

It would seem that you don't always get the best service at dealerships.

Go for a complete new engine. You never know what other damage may turn up a year from now.
orange914
they were responsible for an almost brand new engiune going south. short block or longblock don't take less than subaru NEW. when i worked for the dealer i saw some pretty cheasy rebuilds come in, and they will try to pass one off on you most likely, if your quite.

GIVE EM' HELL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.