Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Name is Britain and I have RUST...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
There are two types of Porsche owners:

1. Those whose cars have rust.
2. Those who haven't find the rust on thier cars.

I am now offically part of RUST club.

I completed the rotisserie for my '69 912 and before bolting it all up, I decided to weld up the battery box that I cut off for the Carrera cooler. While doing so, I was removing some of the paint around the edges when the metal starting getting weak and broke through...the rust showed its ugly face.

Poking away for a bit showed that Porsche used a larger piece of steel to reinforce the front bumber and in doing so they left a space between the two pieces of sheetmetal...a great place start rusting. I am going to cut away more of the metal tonight and see how far the rabbit hole goes. Looks like I am going to be doing some rust repair before I get it up on the rotessire since that is where I mounted the rotesserie.

Battery Box Hole:
IPB Image

Rust in the corner under the sheetmetal:
IPB Image

The reinforced plate to hold the bumpers:
IPB Image
ArtechnikA
HI BRITAIN !!!
RON S.
Oh the rabbit hole goes far and deep.
B.T.D.T.
Next time I think I'll take the green pill.
Ron
Scott S
Hi Ron -
I wouldnt worry about that too much. Just make sure you don't put carbs on the car, it will devalue it.
wink.gif laugh.gif
jonwatts
Are you joining the 12-step program? My guess is no since one of the steps involves a large vat of acid.

"Lord, please grant me the courage to fix the rust I encounter;
the serenity to accept the rust I cannot reach;
and the wisdom to to know when to stop trying."
TimT
laugh.gif Ha Im finishing a rustoration on my 911 also

no 914 content
TimT
nuther
TimT
Burp
TimT
snif
TimT
sigh
TimT
almost
agentblr
Dont feel bad Britian,cause that aint shit!!!I live in the salt belt and Kemo wouldn't help the cancer on the cars around here! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.