Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two to make one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lennies914
I've finally decided to build me a 914! Have wanted one for several years now. Two weeks ago I bought a '70 and discovered that it was too far gone (rust) sawzall-smiley.gif . So last weekend I bought a '74 (much better car) smilie_pokal.gif . This weekend I tore into both cars. Mostly trying to get what I need off the '70 before I get rid of it. Now to the question. The '70 has front and rear sway bars. I took off the rear and am trying to decide whether or not to remove the front. I assume it can be installed on the '74. Is it worth the trouble? welder.gif This is not going to be a track car, just a street ride with hopefully a nice 1.8 or 2.0. I tried a search for any threads that may have addressed this but got 59 results without the titles mentioning my question.
rick 918-S
Be sure to pull it. If you don't use it you will sell here in a day.
BMXerror
First off welcome.png
Second, the 914's 'legendary' handling isn't nearly as good without sways. Even if it's not going to be a track car, swaybars make all the difference in the world and are totally worth the effort. My '70 didn't have sways from the factory, and I got a good two or so years driving with the mad body roll. I thought it was great until I saw pictures of myself at an autocross. I built me a front Speedway Engineering bar and stiffened up the rear springs and it's amazing now! Do it!

Original:
Click to view attachment
Front swaybar ONLY, and stock rear springs
Click to view attachment
Front bar, 200 lb springs in the rear, and Konis on all fours.
Click to view attachment

If you mount both front and rear bars with stock springs, you balance should be close, your ride shouldn't be too rough, and body roll will be minimal. My $.02 Enjoy the disease! driving.gif
Mark D.
turnaround89
I have a 911 carrera front end on mine and it came with the underbody sway bar...i never thought the car could handle better, than came the sway bar...Its amazing. I can't stand driving my daily driver because it has to much body roll, you get addicted to handling and no body roll

welcome.png
Lennies914
Thank you all. Somehow I knew the answer before I asked, but I wanted to be sure. It's not like I don't have the time. It's just one more thing on the rapidly growing list of things to do!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.