Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UGH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
Ok so i finished getting my car started and it runs fine and everything but now it's having other issues.. The front right wheel makes A LOT of noise like something metal is loose and dragging on metal. Also the gas pedal is very VERY sticky initially making it nearly impossible to go slower. I feel that after all the issues it's been having it's starting to become more and more of a pain. Not to mention that the longs are going to need to be fixed due to some rust damage. This car has the potential to be a great daily driver but i'll have neither the time nor the money to get it to that stage especially since i'm starting college on Tuesday.. So what do you guys think i should do with it?

P.S. i absolutely love the cars and love driving them but i'm getting tired of problems after problems
flipb
You're asking a very biased bunch of people. But I'd have to say (1) none of the problems you're facing sound unfixable; and (2) you're much more likely to regret selling it than to regret keeping it.

rick 918-S
Full time college and a project car may not be what you need right now. Only you can decide what your capable of. Be real about it. If you decide to sell the classified is your friend. When you get to a place where you have the time for making money and having a hobby car the classifieds will be there for you. I'm not encouraging you to sell, just sayin..
buhs914
well it's spent more time off the road than it has on the road this past year and i don't want to have to worry about it while at college. But then again i might just sleep it off and feel better about it in the morning. I'll eventually get another one later on down the road though if i do sell it.
sww914
Work some weekends or whatever and buy a $700.00 Honda. Fix the 914 as you can, it will pay off in the end. These cars are fun and their value is steadier than the stock market but they're 40 years old. Unless it's been fixed recently it will probably need some attention soon. I use a 914 as a DD but keep in mind I have 6 cars. I can always drive something else if I need to.
sww914
And I have a loooot of parts.
sww914
And a shop.
buhs914
Yeah i posted an ad on craigslist just to see what bites i get. I set the price for $8500 just for fun. I think i may end up keeping it after all.. unless i receive a decent offer..
'73-914kid
Front grinding sounds like either brake caliper or wheel bearing. Either one is a simple replacement. As is a throttle cable. You can continue to drive with rusty longs I bet.
Keep it. You will regret selling it. But this is the nature of old cars. They have issues as stuff ages, but you know that already I'm sure. If you have some time off, pull the front wheel off, and just look and see what's going on there.

If not, try and find a place to store it that is dry. The car can wait until you have the time.
rjames
If you don't enjoy owning a constant project, it might not be the car for you.

Don't mean that to sound snide, just realistic. These cars are old and they require upkeep. That should also be part of the fun for you otherwise it is just going to feel like work, and who needs more of that?
buhs914
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 17 2010, 10:42 PM) *

Front grinding sounds like either brake caliper or wheel bearing. Either one is a simple replacement. As is a throttle cable. You can continue to drive with rusty longs I bet.
Keep it. You will regret selling it. But this is the nature of old cars. They have issues as stuff ages, but you know that already I'm sure. If you have some time off, pull the front wheel off, and just look and see what's going on there.

If not, try and find a place to store it that is dry. The car can wait until you have the time.

yeah the pads are sitting on the rotor on the front right wheel. there's zero clearance so that's definitely where that sound is coming from..

QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 17 2010, 11:59 PM) *

If you don't enjoy owning a constant project, it might not be the car for you.

Don't mean that to sound snide, just realistic. These cars are old and they require upkeep. That should also be part of the fun for you otherwise it is just going to feel like work, and who needs more of that?

yeah i was just getting tired and cranky earlier haha biggrin.gif but now i've regained my senses and i plan to stick it out till the end with this car!!
sean_v8_914
what are you made of? that is the question you must ask. you must have one of two ingredients for successful 914 ownership:
A. intestinal fortitude. you will need the inner strength to push foward when problems surface on your 40 year old car. they will pop up untill you have touched ever nut and bolt in the car. Hike up your skirt, stop whining and grap some wrenches
...or...
B. Money. lots of money to pay someone to make your 914 dreams come true. Many may work on your 914 but few will do it well.
jt914-6
Acc. pedal not wanting to return sounds like brake fluid on stock plastic bushings. Disconnect acc. cable and work the pedal by hand and see if it is hard to move. If so, replace bushings with brass or other metal type kits that are out there. Also if the floor board is wet with brake fluid, it's time for a new master cyl......When you're working on the front brakes, check the wheel bearings...may need to repack/replace them....
codices
Having owned three and with a total of six (at one time or the other) in the family, I can safely say that once the irritating problems are fixed it will be a reliable machine and the fun factor is off the scale. Puts a smile on the face every time it is driven--when the problems are solved.

Dave

rnellums
Definitely keep it. I'm a full time college student too, and it is definitely difficult to find spare time to fix those annoying problems, but what better diversion could you ask for for letting off some steam from a hard class? Plus how many college guys can tell girls they have a Porsche? shades.gif
buhs914
QUOTE(codices @ Jan 18 2010, 09:18 AM) *

Having owned three and with a total of six (at one time or the other) in the family, I can safely say that once the irritating problems are fixed it will be a reliable machine and the fun factor is off the scale. Puts a smile on the face every time it is driven--when the problems are solved.

Dave

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 18 2010, 12:45 PM) *

Definitely keep it. I'm a full time college student too, and it is definitely difficult to find spare time to fix those annoying problems, but what better diversion could you ask for for letting off some steam from a hard class? Plus how many college guys can tell girls they have a Porsche? shades.gif

Haha you guys are all right! I'm definitely keeping it. I just needed a good nights sleep to clear some of the stress. Thanks a lot guys i almost made a decision i would probably regret.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jan 17 2010, 09:33 PM) *

. The front right wheel makes A LOT of noise like something metal is loose and dragging on metal.

check the bearings and brakes might be a cheap fix(bearings) or moderately $ (caliper)

Also the gas pedal is very VERY sticky initially making it nearly impossible to go slower.

change your throttle cable to a terry cable, and make sure the cable is not trying to make sharp turn after the firewall... BTDT... I had the same thing. with the terry cable I had to put a heavier spring because it was so smooth and light on the throttle smile.gif

So what do you guys think i should do with it?

your call.. but you are probably asking the wrong group wink.gif

imo, even as much as I love my 914, I couldn't use it as a daily driver.. I deal with too much traffic for it to be practical. depending on your situation tho... it might be worth it, but a good friend in college made a point... in college you are driving a "classic" you are driving an OLD car with old car problems. smile.gif
patssle
Also the gas pedal is very VERY sticky initially making it nearly impossible to go slower

Just pretend you're driving a Toyota! biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jan 18 2010, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(codices @ Jan 18 2010, 09:18 AM) *

Dave

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 18 2010, 12:45 PM) *

Haha you guys are all right! I'm definitely keeping it. I just needed a good nights sleep to clear some of the stress. Thanks a lot guys i almost made a decision i would probably regret.

agree.gif I'm a college senior and my 914 has been my DD through college. Its been (knock on wood) extremely reliable for the past few years and I drive it everywhere in all kinds of weather. Its never broken badly enough that I couldn't fix it with more than basic tools in a parking lot and has never left me stranded. Its all about the preventative maintenance (and keeping a spare dizzy cap, rotor, and set of points in the trunk).

Like previously mentioned, its way cooler to drive a vintage Porsche than pretty much anything else. biggrin.gif
cwpeden
Wheel problem: Sounds like a rock between the rotor and dust sheild.

Throttle: ditto on the new cable, and check the routing.

Body problem: Keep the car. Somebody must love you enough to let you store the car in a warm dry workshop till you are finished college and ready to make the necessary repairs. I look at the all the 60's Bugs I passed up for $200-500 and now they are in the trash or restored and want $5k.
patssle
I look at the all the 60's Bugs I passed up for $200-500

I'm going through that too. I was looking at Bugs before I got the 914, and still looking at them. I could get one in great shape 3-4k. It's hard to think that these won't be worth something down the road - they were only an icon and voted "world's most influential car of the twentieth century"?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.