Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT Horn Button
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Anybody make a reproduction of the horn button used on the 914-6 GT. If not, any ideas? (reasonably priced) Thanks, Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2010, 07:08 AM) *

Anybody make a reproduction of the horn button used on the 914-6 GT. If not, any ideas? (reasonably priced) Thanks, Mark

here you go:

http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?-d...043&-Search
mepstein
Thank you George. I'm just not mentally ready to pay $225 for a horn button. I might try pulling the parts out of a stock 914 horn cover and see what can be done. I've just never been a fan of the X-wing look of the cover. I could live without the porsche crest if it meant the price was $25-50.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2010, 08:43 AM) *

Thank you George. I'm just not mentally ready to pay $225 for a horn button. I might try pulling the parts out of a stock 914 horn cover and see what can be done. I've just never been a fan of the X-wing look of the cover. I could live without the porsche crest if it meant the price was $25-50.

The really stupid thing is that we just sold a used one on e bay without the padded crest even being there for over $250.00!!!!!!
mepstein
Yes, as a seller, ebay has always been good to me.
hcdmueller
I had to try for over a year on ebay before I got a used one for less than $250. Obviously its not perfect either.
markb
I have an original "hockey puck" from a 912 that I was last offered $300.00 for. It's still on my car. I wouldn't expect to find anything for anywhere near $25.00
IronHillRestorations
As long as there's early 911 guys with money, those horn buttons will be spendy.
Eric_Shea
As long as there's early 911 guys with money, those horn buttons will be spendy.

agree.gif

$2-300 is going rate Mark.
mepstein
I saw someone selling the embosed leather cover on ebay for $50. I could live without a porsche crest. Then the black leather is about a buck. I could take parts out of trashed 914 horn cover. Then I just need a bezel and housing...?
ChicagoPete
This company does a real nice reproduction and a nice job on the thick grip steering wheel as well.

http://www.zuffenhaus.us/defaultNew.html

Probably not a bad deal as a package.

Anything to do with building an accurate 914/6GT never comes cheap! As was posted before, some of the most pricey parts come from the early 911S and look at the values of those.

Try finding the GT/911S oil filter console and thermostat! There is one listed on the early911S registry right now for $1200!

Peter

mepstein
Looks like they are $250 for their "hockey puck".
carr914
If you want to stay under $25, you could go "ghetto", and get a PVC end cap, paint it black and put a Porsche sticker on it. LOL biggrin.gif

mepstein
LOL. Just choked on my cereal.
Eric_Shea
Try finding the GT/911S oil filter console and thermostat! There is one listed on the early911S registry right now for $1200!

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now... to plumb all this crap! lol3.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This one is still waiting for you I have it on my desk!!!!!

Click to view attachment

only 225.00!!!!!!!!!
ConeDodger
GROUP BUY!!!
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 20 2010, 12:23 PM) *

GROUP BUY!!!

If the price is good and someone else wants to organize it, I'm in for one. If George will take credit cards and paypal it would be a piece of cake.
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 20 2010, 10:57 AM) *

This one is still waiting for you I have it on my desk!!!!!

Click to view attachment

only 225.00!!!!!!!!!

For some reason that doesn't look accurate to me?? Is it actually ribbed along the sides or smooth?

And, if you are looking at one straight down from the top, you should be able to see the sides because it should be wider at the base than at the face?

Maybe it is the way the picture is shot?

Peter
rick 918-S
Anyone have a side view of the horn button? shades.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2010, 08:32 PM) *

Anyone have a side view of the horn button? shades.gif

RJMII
let me know if want more pics of mine. I'm not sure of its origins, but it looks similar to the ones pictured already.
mojorisen914
You could have cleaned it up before you took a pic..... poke.gif av-943.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 24 2010, 09:07 PM) *

You could have cleaned it up before you took a pic..... poke.gif av-943.gif

Those are rust spots on the chrome ring. sad.gif I wish I could get them off.

is that ring metal or plastic? My dad just put a buffing wheel/polishing wheel on one of the grinders out in the shop. If it's metal, I'd like to make it shine like it were new.
mojorisen914
Just messin with ya! Not sure if it's plastic or not. I'm sure someone here knows.
markb
It's metal. Chromed copper or brass. I'd polish it by hand.
RJMII
thank you Mark.
type47fan
See before and after, below. I removed the ring on mine and had it re chromed for about $35.00. . . . just noticed I had added a recovered dash top, too.
rick 918-S
Cool, Thanks, I was looking to make something like that. You can buy the leather insert off ebay along with the chrome ring(chrome over brass). The ring has tabs that extend through the top and fold over to lock them down. I think I'm going to do something with a wrinkle finish instead of the ribs. I'm not looking for a copy of the Porsche buttom exactly. I just want a small horn button in place of the bat wing center on the stock wheel.
burton73
There are two types of inserts for sale on Ebay from time to time. One is leather and one is Vinyl. I have bought one of each. I cannot find the chrome ring (chrome over brass)
On they’re at this time. My ring is in good shape but could use a re-plate to be 100%

I paid over $300. For my button and the leather was dried up. I rest of it is very nice but the ring is not 100%

Bob
ClayPerrine
I have one on my six. Paid 50 bucks for the whole column out of a 68 912 in the wrecking yard. It came complete with the wheel, the clamshells, and the switches. It had a wooden rimmed wheel on it, and the hockey puck button. I sold the wheel for 450.00 to a guy with a 68 S who had to have the right part number. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.