Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper finish on black painted bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jonferns
There are some rock chips on the black painted bumpers on my '74 1.8. Im looking to repaint them, what's the best product to use? I was thinking Wurth satin black trim paint? Also whats the best procedure for painting them? Thanks bye1.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 19 2010, 04:44 PM) *

There are some rock chips on the black painted bumpers on my '74 1.8. Im looking to repaint them, what's the best product to use? I was thinking Wurth satin black trim paint? Also whats the best procedure for painting them? Thanks bye1.gif

Jon.
You know how easy it is to remove the bumper? And the tits?

I would do so, take the bumper for bead blasting, or walnut blasting (prefer bead blasting, as it's milder). Prime it immediatley with a compound that is "friendly" to the Wurth paint. Then spray it with Wurth satin black when it's convenient.

Shouldn't be a big chore. Just make certain you use the right air pressure for the topcoat. You weren't thinking about rattlecan painting it were you?
Pat
tod914
Think that's a good choice. The Wurth has slightly more of a grey tint to it than the factory finish. I recall it being slightly glossier too, when I was trying to touch up some scratches on my black bumper. But if your bumpers, rockers and valances are all painted the same, it will look nice. Try doing a test and comparing. Or maybe a paint shop color match for you with a durable paint.
jonferns
I was actually thinking of removing it and "rattle canning" it using the wurth satin black trim paint if thats the right stuff. A poor college student doesn't have the time nor the money to be doing much more than that wink.gif
jonferns
So, any other comments?
scotty b
Yeah, get a quart 9or pint if available0 of rally black from an auto paint supplier. It is a single stage semi gloss ( LOW gloss ) black used or the stripes and rear valances on muscle cars. It's real paint, not rattle can so you will need a gun. Do as Pat said and have the bumpers stripped with glass bead, walnut shell or soda. Then properly clean them and prime, followed by 2-3 coats of the black flag.gif
scotty b
Here it is on a motorcycle tank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.