Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is 4762904070 worth saving?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
Here's an interesting dilemma....

I know we have had a discussion on this car already (when the Buy It Now was $8000) but now that it's reasonable, what do you think? I know there have been a few found outside of the documented range, but 4070 is damn near the last car ever made. Is it worth saving even at significant cost, or is it OK to harvest? According to the description it's pretty far gone.

Yes there is a reason why I am asking and I value your opinions, and no, I have not bid on the car.
garyh
You asked...

It looks like all the "good parts" are already gone. All you're buying is a VIN, and I can't see the value of that.

If you're going to buy a VIN, or do a frame-up, start with more pieces, and plan it so it will be worth more when you're done.

Like a six, for instance.

YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda.

On the plus side, you're not that far from Bullwinkle Grove.
Chris H.
It's still got plenty of good parts for sawzall-smiley.gif

But... I have some respect for the fact that it's so close to the end of the line.
Bleyseng
Sure its worth saving and it looks like most of the stuff is there including the 2.0l engine. For $500 it would be worth it if you have the time and energy to go for it.
I have neither at this time......

Geoff
GaroldShaffer
Hey mister backoff my next parts car cool.gif I have
been watching this auction also. My only problem is
if I bid & win then I have to bring it home. I already
have two parts cars that I need to get my ass
moving on.

- Garold
GWN7
I'd say yes it's worth $500...if you have a way of moving it without it falling apart and have space to store it till you have room to work on it. Like the seller said it might be the last one built that's still around. If you do have those, I'd hold off on the sawzall-smiley.gif for a bit....it can't get more rusty than it is. smile.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Mar 23 2004, 09:02 PM)
if I bid & win then I have to bring it home. I already
have two parts cars
- Garold

Dude, you really are a junkie! You have more parts cars than running cars! laugh.gif
Bleyseng
We do know of 4072 and 4081 that are later built cars than this one. 4072 is pretty nice while 4081 need TLC. My car 4063 is in good shape and fast compared to all these cars, lol.

Geoff
GaroldShaffer
Dude, you really are a junkie! You have more parts cars than running cars!

I know, I'm sick. I showed my wife the auction and
she just rolled her eyes and said that I need help.
When I was little kid my mother says that I would
get real excited when we went pass a junkyard.
I guess I am still that way. I find them interesting.
I look at all those cars & trucks and think at one time
they were someones pride & joy, they have a histroy.

My inlaws have a 84 Chevy with 220K on it
that up to a few years ago looked like it rolled off the
showroom floor. My Father in law says that he just
can't get rid of it, it has a ton of family memories. His
kids used it for Prom, see them both through school, my Brother in law used it in his wedding, etc.... he
drives 75+ miles a day for his job now and it is still
moves along just fine.

So I guess I am a parts car junkie, and it's time for another fix happy11.gif aktion035.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif

- Garold
Bleyseng
atleast you are close to it!
Good luck

Geoff
Chris H.
GWN 7, why don't you just settle this for us by adding it to your collection? It's a short road trip for you. It'll keep both Garold and I out of trouble at home!

Garold, you may need to seek help from PCJA (Parts Car Junkies Anonymous) laugh.gif First you harvest a CREAMSICLE LE now you want to off one of the last 914's VINs know to exist!?

Kidding of course. That LE was long gone way before you got it and totally unsalvageable. This one is pretty bad too as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty close to passing on this one. Good luck guys!
GWN7
I forgot about 072 & O81 from the other post... sawzall-smiley.gif it

I think Garold really wants it....I can tell by the fevered typing that he does... laugh.gif

If he dosen't, I might bid on it....but as there is still 2'-3' of snow at the farm and behind my garage I'd have no place for it right now....

I need it to warm up so I can get the 73 on the road. That way I can bring home the 71 and start on it and figure out what I need out of the 2 sheds of parts I have now

beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Garold-

It's all yours my friend. I would not be able to put a sawzall to it. Very cool that you waited to bid. Bid away sir! I respectfully step aside.

Good Luck!

Chris H.
GaroldShaffer
Thanks Chris but its up to $535 with 5 hrs to go.
I'm a cheap SOB so it looks like I won't be bidding either mad.gif O'well there will be others blink.gif
GWN7 it's all yours!

-Garold

PS. We need to get some of the locals together and
meet for some food & beer3.gif
Chris H.
Dammit! What happened!? It was $355 like 6 minutes ago!

I don't think she's worth much more than $500 for parts. GWN 7... IT'S ALMOST THE LAST CAR MADE!!! COME ON MAN! Just kidding. If it's been around here its whole life it could be unsaveable.

Yeah let's get together soon. I need to give you those center caps. Anyone else?
Bleyseng
2.0l heads -$400 cores
Side shifter-$200
2.0l console-$50
all the other bits and pieces are worth atleast $100

So just to part it out its worth a few bucks

Geoff
weird_looking_cactus
Just a heads up I have seen this car on ebay before a couple months ago. <_< The same pictures and everything. I guess it didn't sell or they decied not to do the deal.
Bleyseng
yep, we know that. I think he wanted $8000 for it as he thought it was the last known vin. We set him straight on this....

Geoff wacko.gif
GaroldShaffer
2.0l heads -$400 cores
Side shifter-$200
2.0l console-$50
all the other bits and pieces are worth atleast $100

Ok, ok, quit pressuring me. If I win you have to buy parts from me. wink.gif

- Garold

PS did the 75 & 76's have swaybars as standard?
Bleyseng
75's no, but lots of the 76 cars did to use up the parts. Lots of the ending cars came loaded to use up the parts but also because the dealers could sell them for higher prices.

Geoff
Chris H.
Yeah you never know on the '76's. It's so close to the end of the line it could have had everything or nothing. As long as you have a way to get it home you should do fine. I would have to get it towed to my house so that's the reasoning for my $500 figure. If you strip it clean and aren't in a hurry to sell everything you could easily have $1500 worth of stuff there. Or maybe not. It's amazing what the little things go for.
KitCarlson
I sold 4762904072 to my son. It was found near Rockford, IL with 56K miles. The best I can remember it was originally sold at a Chicago dealership. The paint is L20C. Not sure if the ebay car is the same paint, picture color varies. Very likely the ebay's car younger brother.

P.S. Still working in EMS, developing missing tooth timing wheel applications, waiting on Brad. R. for testing. Just received EMS enclosures, they fit very well.

Kit
Bleyseng
a pic of 4072
Chris H.
Cool Geoff (and Kit)! That's a car I'd like to have.

The countdown begins! We are under an hour to go!

By the way I think the color is Scarlet Red, L31M, however the pic could be off.
KitCarlson
Bleyseng,
Thanx for posting picture. It now sports sail vinyl. It is only driven on very nice days. I drive it only with memories. My son is hesitant to drive it, would be hard to replace. I still have a couple 914 basket cases left to restore. So much to do. so little time.
Kit
http://home.mindspring.com/~dave.c/kitcarlson/
GaroldShaffer
Nice car!

The ebay car went for $960, to rich for my blood.
My high bid was $625.

Garold
GWN7
I decide to let Garold have it...it was either that or I forgot about it laugh.gif

Any compleat car should have $1000 worth of parts on it, but you have to be willing to take them off, sell them and ship them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.