Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much does your car leak when it rains?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I'm just curious...

I put new seals on my six when I restored it, it I'd say it leaks a little. Definitely not dry, but livable.

On my new [to me] 4, the seals *look* ok, but it leaks horribly. If I park outside, I can literally get puddles of water on the floor (both sides, in front and behind the seats).

-Steve
siverson
Ooops, I messed up the poll. Oh well.
underthetire
I think you forgot Monsoon inside the car vote.
jsayre914
I also replaced the famous 3 part seal and the lower targa seal, the targa side seals and verticle seals and rear targa seal. (thanks Mikey.

son of gun still leaks on both sides sad.gif right where the side seals but against the big (3 part) seal. confused24.gif

I guess we all have to live it smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 20 2010, 04:07 PM) *
I think you forgot Monsoon inside the car vote.

agree.gif

Custom 'drain' holes help with the puddles ...
dry.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
happy11.gif Okay, mine is only dry as a bone when it rains out because it stays in my garage. But when I'm AXing and it rains I have the windows down so of course it's wet.
Porcharu
Rear window is loose - lots of leaks and standing water under the seats. Yes it's rusted in those areas.
Steve
SLITS
I carry a bar of soap for my bi-annual bath.
Drivers side would get "A Little" vote BUT Passenger side more than makes up for my "A Lot" vote...I believe it would puddle if not for the carpet?

When I'm AXing it is Monsoon since I have no windows in my early doors shades.gif

KP
Pat Garvey
Mine is a 2, that I bought new.

Never leaked a drop until 1976, when I decided the seals needed to be changed. Stupid!

I've rerplaced all seals twice since then & I still leak in a rainstorm. Course, it hasn't been in one of those since 1989. Because of that, I haven't touched my 914 with water since.

I should go into the dry cleaning business for Porsches.
Pat
Joe Owensby
Put in a total new set of rubber from AA a few years ago. I have almost zero leaks. I do get a few drops when I open the door in the rain. Takes a little time to get everything to line up, but it is worth it to minimize leaks. I have had the car since new, and it was pretty dry when it was new also. So, the design should be pretty good. Just needs good rubber and proper alignment of the seals and also the window glass and door. I guess this is assuming the body is also straight.

JoeO
sww914
The inside of my ears stay clean if I drive it in the rain.
VaccaRabite
Rain is wet, so I don't let my car see it.

Zach
jd74914
My car is surprisingly leak free. I'm consistently amazed at how little water enters when it rains (the car lives outside when I'm at school).

That said, a few weeks ago we had really strong winds which were strong enough to blow snow into the car. That was really odd.
Elliot Cannon
Drive fast. driving.gif Don't stop. driving.gif Stay dry. lol-2.gif
hot_shoe914
mine leaks the same amount of oil whether it is raining or not! beer3.gif
Middlefour
I always thought that if they did'nt leak you took them back to the factory to make sure they did!!!! biggrin.gif Here in England we get wet, errr quite often.......
siverson
> would puddle if not for the carpet

My red car just had about 0.5" puddle ON TOP of the carpet... :/
Mikey914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 20 2010, 04:08 PM) *

I also replaced the famous 3 part seal and the lower targa seal, the targa side seals and verticle seals and rear targa seal. (thanks Mikey.

son of gun still leaks on both sides sad.gif right where the side seals but against the big (3 part) seal. confused24.gif

I guess we all have to live it smile.gif

Check the lower seal. Pull it out and put it back in. If it's cracked and brittle that can be the cause of leakage sometimes.
tat2dphreak
I need seals, I can stick fingers into the cab at certain points... I just don't drive in the rain.
EdwardBlume
I tried to winterize my former race car with tape and a cover, and all I ended up with was mold.... beer.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 20 2010, 10:02 PM) *

Elleyott has it right. don't even need the Targa top in place. Most of you probably never owned an English Sports car. A 914, with bad seals, is dry compared to them.

In fact, England is where the wet-head movement came from (also soggy shoes, socks, etc.,)
bandjoey
Until I Mikeysized the rubber, it leaked. I'm happy now with a dry cabin. I did have to reseal the rear window, but new seals took care of everything else. As an afterthought, I put a very small clear seal of silicone caulk around the outside rear glass, and the chrome windshield trim. So far it's tight.
jhadler
Not a drop! Then again, it helps that it's in a garage up on jackstands...

-Josh2
al weidman
I don't want to find out, no rust so far.
szuccaro
no leaks because I dont drive it in the rain. :>) Steve
Heeltoe914
Well its in the garage most of the rainny days, so not to many leaks but I have replaced evey seal.
Rod
Mine doesn't leak at all piratenanner.gif

It is annoying though when it does have water on the roof and you drive off with the window slightly open........ at the end of the drive, all the water runs forward of the gutter in the side of the targa and if the window is slightly open, it's a perfect angle straight down from the targa, through the window and straight into the door pocket cubby hole!!!

Very annoying.

My rear trunk used to leak n the rain, but fixed that with a bit of silicone. Mine is a dry 914 smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jan 23 2010, 06:06 AM) *

no leaks because I dont drive it in the rain. :>) Steve

Love this trunk, it looks like it's trimmed in Alcantara? is it??
Sleepin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 21 2010, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 20 2010, 10:02 PM) *

Elleyott has it right. don't even need the Targa top in place. Most of you probably never owned an English Sports car. A 914, with bad seals, is dry compared to them.

In fact, England is where the wet-head movement came from (also soggy shoes, socks, etc.,)

The MG's 'vert top was like a water magnet...I think you would stay drier standing outside in the rain than inside the car with the top up!

The only time my 914 leaks is when it rains..... blink.gif Usually I am driving sans top so a fast drive is in order to keep the interior dry. It is amazing how dry you can stay with the top off in the rain if you find the correct speed.
azbill
My car never leaks. It lives in Arizona and never out in the rain.
SUNAB914
popcorn[1].gif Beautiful rear trunck above! 74 holds against leaks OK, very worrierd though when it happens. 75, only on drivers side, has to be heavy though. It can be done!
phoenixred
I too needed rubber parts, put all except the upper & two lower targas, and the two inner door seals. I wonder what the new parts are...I think the cabin parts were all Porsche. Perfect fit, and worth the time. Prolly over 300$ easily for the less expensive seals.

My car is not anywhere near perfect margins etc. this is reflected in some near gaps here and there. definate drips off the "builtin" gutter in the top itself. If windows are cracked 1/2 inch better watch that gutter drip. default water source is pushed from the p/side rear wheel wash into the rear of the rusty floor pan.

it was quite a big surprise when I first got the car on the road. now, with basic problem areas found and work around in place.(stuffed rusty floor pan with easily manipulated ropecaulk/almost like the electrician's putty to water seal cables on service entrances.easily removed or "helped" with more putty until the real repair arrives welder.gif
meanwhile this NJ car has a daily driver's life driving.gif it's great!
charliew
I bet the rear window is loose in every 914 that has over 75k on it unless it's been resealed. One of my fieros has a loose rear window and it only has 60k on it but it was hit in the right rear quarter also at some time in it's life. I bet the 914 leaks less than a early corvette convertibile. And maybe less that a later t top one.
ppeters914
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jan 20 2010, 06:52 PM) *

Just needs good rubber and proper alignment of the seals and also the window glass and door. I guess this is assuming the body is also straight.

There's always a catch......
IronHillRestorations
Shamless plug. This will keep the interior of your 914 dry!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I'm out of stock right now but should have a good supply in a few weeks. The material I've been using for the past 14 years is getting harder to get.

Kirmizi
Shameless plug. This will keep the interior of your 914 dry!

agree.gif
One of the best investments I've made so far.
Mike
gothspeed
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 25 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I'm out of stock right now but should have a good supply in a few weeks. The material I've been using for the past 14 years is getting harder to get.

Sell me one!!!!!! w00t.gif
mikerose
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 25 2010, 04:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Best money ever spent. smoke.gif
gopack
I voted "none" because it never rains in my garage! AND when I DO get it running I will try hard to never go out in the rain!
J P Stein
I had a 58 Vette....with a hardtop some years back. It set my standard for leaks into the interior. Bout the only place water didn't come in was from the bottom up. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.