Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with my new toy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wheelboy
Hello, I just got me a 1972 914 and it looks real good, It been in a Barn for X years but the owner always stared and move it around, the last regi was in 1979 and the car has 19674 miles he said that is original. it has no rust at all. But the car was orange and now is red?? that's a red flag to me. I'm going to put some pix and I will like some input. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Nice find and welcome.png

Could be the odometer has rolled over so the true mileage is 119,674.
Is the rear window missing? Or is it just super clean?
ahdoman
My guess it's been repainted; The headlight motors are galvanized steel, not painted the same color as the car. I also find it hard to believe that it's 20k original miles; most likely 120k. If it is 20k it might as well have been 120k if it's been sitting.
wheelboy
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jan 24 2010, 02:14 PM) *

My guess it's been repainted; The headlight motors are galvanized steel, not painted the same color as the car. I also find it hard to believe that it's 20k original miles; most likely 120k. If it is 20k it might as well have been 120k if it's been sitting.

The glass is in, is clean!! I got it for 1,500
orange914
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jan 24 2010, 02:14 PM) *

agree.gif
QUOTE(wheelboy @ Jan 24 2010, 02:28 PM) *

The glass is in, is clean!! I got it for 1,500

good deal, non the less! get driving driving.gif

i'm not sure if tan interior was avalible in 72's? anyone? tan does look great with red though

mike
rick 918-S
Take a photo of the battery tray, stand and the pocket ahead of the battery stand. (hell hole) This will be where the real trouble could start even for a car that sat for many years.

Oh and BTW! welcome.png
etcmss
is this the one from ebay recently? or where did it come from?
my 74 came out of a barn after lots of years inside. excellent interior 50,000 miles.
good luck--keep us posted and take your time-do it right
take lots of pictures to teach us all something --- or to explain what problem you are having that maybe we saw before.
wheelboy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 24 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Take a photo of the battery tray, stand and the pocket ahead of the battery stand. (hell hole) This will be where the real trouble could start even for a car that sat for many years.

Oh and BTW! welcome.png

OK, I ck the the battery tray, the tray it self is rusted, but the rest of the hell hole is perfect. I remove the top and sat my fat friend in the pass side and open and close the door (fine). the vin# 4722917208. Help.
rick 918-S
Sounds like a nice score. What do you need help with?
wheelboy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 25 2010, 02:45 PM) *

Sounds like a nice score. What do you need help with?

I need to decor my vin#,
Andyrew
There is no decode for the VIN's. The vins dont tell us anything aside from year, and # (unless they are a 74 limited edition)

The 72's are 1.7's. Looks like the standard, no option car w/ painted body color bumpers, and it appears as if it has the tan interior (or at least some of it).

Thats pretty much it! Looks like a solid car, Have fun!
Frost
Looks like a good fine. welcome.png
wheelboy
Hey i put more pix!!!!!
jonferns
Hey man, your 914 looks great. The interior seems to be in really nice shape too, nice find!
rjames
First thing to do:

REPLACE YOUR FUEL LINES before you wish you had.

Nice find. beer.gif
oz371
Nice find!!! welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.