Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed an oil pressure sender and guage today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Kind of a bitch to get working right though. I ended up running two wires through the center tunnel, one from the remote switch to the guage, the other grounded at the sender to the guage. I then spliced the "+" from the oil temp guage "+". Pressure is about 45 lbs at idle, 70 at WOT. Sound ok?
madd_dogg_914
Was the car cold when you got those numbers? Once my car is fully warmed up idle usually produces about 20-25ish lbs., and it would get up to around 60 at WOT. But who knows, maybe there is sumthin funny with my set up.

-Chris
ChrisReale
yea, it was cold. I watched it while it warmed up and the numbers dropped a bit.
madd_dogg_914
Sounds normal then. It is cool having the oil pressure guage, go around a turn really fast at high RPM's and watch that sucker plummet. Kinda' un-nerving

-Chris

O, and happy birthday! I will be turning 24 in July
Brad Roberts
Um Chris..

One of those "poles" on the sending unit is for the dash light. You should have only had to run one wire to the front of the car.

B
madd_dogg_914
He's right. I idn't inderstand why you had to run two wires, but I just figured must've been a different sender. Brad made sense of the whole thing like he does a lot (stupid Brad now I have to do it all over GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR). Now you are gonna have to tear apart the whole thing and do it again!

pray.gif . . . . . . . . . . . . . . finger.gif
914 owners . . . . . . . . Brad
ChrisReale
I know one was for the pole light, I ran the ground from the gauge to the sensor ground. This was the only way I could get it to work! I'll go through it again, and see where I f'ed up. I need to make sure I grounded the case of the sensor...
Brad Roberts
The gauge grounds through the normal wiring of the chassis.. Not the sending unit. Where is the gauge in the car (center console ?) If so.. there is a bundle of brown ground wires you can tee off of. This is how the factory does it. Some of the other stock small center console gauges have 2 "tabs" on them for grounds.. this way you can run a wire to it and come off of it with another ground for another gauge. If it works leave it alone. I'm not a fan of adding wires to the cars. I try adn use all the stock wiring I can.

B
mightyohm
Chris, is this the dual sender that people use the grease gun hose to relocate?

Do you have pics of the install?
ChrisReale
Yes, it has the remote hose that screws into the stock pressure switch hole. No pics, sorry
Dave_Darling
The lights on the gauge ground through their own wires. The gauge movement itself, however, grounds through the "sender wire" and the sender. The sender really is just a variable resistor. Its case needs to be grounded, which is easy to do if you bolt it onto a ground like the fan shroud (easiest location for me). If nothing else, you can clamp a wire between the sender case and whatever bracket you're using, and run that ground wire to a common ground point (e.g., under the relay board) or directly to the battery ground.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.