Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grease preference?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
All of the front suspension parts are stripped, POR-15 coated and ready for reassembly (finally!). I've got the Weltmeister Poly bushings to install, but I keep hearing about 'squeekage' associated with these (not stock) type of bushings. Any special grease you guys can recommend?

I've also heard somewhere about installing grease zerts (spelling?). Anyone done this, and how well does it work?
Gint
There is already a good deal of info here on this subject.

Here's a link to the search I just performed for bushing and grease.
Aaron Cox
yeah...i just went through this. I bought the magic tub o grease from pp. very sticky stuff....and kinda expensive.
John
That grease, good as it is, does eventually wear/wipe off then the suspension squeaks again. With all the plastic bushings I have used, I have gotten used to living with some degree of squeak. No matter how much grease you try to get in there, it only lasts so long. I am considering trying to figure out a way to regrease those things without disassembly.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Mar 24 2004, 09:12 AM)
That grease, good as it is, does eventually wear/wipe off then the suspension squeaks again. With all the plastic bushings I have used, I have gotten used to living with some degree of squeak. No matter how much grease you try to get in there, it only lasts so long. I am considering trying to figure out a way to regrease those things without disassembly.

hmm.... i hhavent installed that suspension yet... how would one go about zerk fitting them? tap a hole in the plastic and metal housing?
John
I'm not sure yet. I have learned to live with some squeak. The most annoying vehicle that squeaks on me is my 911Turbo. Since installing the plastic rear bushings, it now slightly squeaks on the passenger side and needs to be disassembled to regrease. I have regreased it twice and it lasts about a year then it starts squeaking again.

That seems to be the life expectancy on the 914's as well. The 914's are more noisy than the 911 and they don't seem to bother me so much when they squeak. (like the top doesnt squeak).....

Anyway, I do believe that the information in the previously posted link is good stuff. Cutting small grooves in the bushings to hold some of the grease is a very good suggestion and next time I have mine out, I'm going to do this to see how it works out.

If I was going to actually install grease zerks to regrease my bushings, I would definately first cut the grooves (to have somewhere for the grease to go) then I would drill through the suspension component and the bushing (lining the hole up with one of the grooves) and then tap the metal component drilled through and finally install the zerk. One must find locations that would work and not allow the zerk to limit suspension travel.

Honestly, the squeaking I have has not pushed me to the point where I felt the need to try to install zerks. (besides there is no good place that I could find on the 911 rear to do this).

Good luck.
Aaron Cox
i did the spiral grooves in the bushings..... and packed those SOB's with gobs of grease
Bleyseng
try these instead of the cheap plastic bushings
SpecialK
Niiiice!

Are those Mueller's bushing/bearings?

Thanks for the tips all, and the link Gint.

idea.gif

Okay, I'm going to attempt the 'grease retention channel w/zerk' at both ends of each bushing (just one zerk), and a 'spiral groove with a 2 1/2 twist' connecting them. Film at 11.

Just out of curiosity, anyone ever try "dry" lubricant?
Bleyseng
No, those are at Http://www.elephantracing.com

I have the poly bushings in the front and did the V-groving with a dremel tool. Use that special grease that should have come with the bushings. Its a silicone grease as I understand it. Still working in my car after a year and no squeaks yet, but I am looking at the Elephantracing bushings cuz I wanted to drive the car on the street and be able to lube them without taking the whole A arm assembly apart.

Geoff ph34r.gif
SpecialK
Those are definitely sweet! But all of my pennies are being saved for the "Big-Bore, cryo'd, Nickied, Throttle-body FI'ed street screamer engine.... that I have yet to convince the wife I must have wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.