Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Air Box Top Differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
I've seen the transition of Air Box Tops (where the square 2L air filter sits inside) from the start of the 2.0 4 Cyl. model's introduction in the 1973 MY - starting in 8/72 build dates.

They progressed from a Diamond pattern of stamped ribbing in the top,
... to just straight top ribs later in the 73 MY (see topic: "The Few, the rare......" Sahara Beige in O&H),
... to plain flat & smooth in the 75 or late 74 MY IIRC (correct this if I'm wrong).

So maybe others could post pix here of the variations & examples on their 914-2.0's for others to see the differences, as well as for some looking to find to "correct" Air Box to restore their D-jet 2L! smile.gif

Now just to confuse things a bit - apparently the VW Werke & Karmann plant(s) decided to use 2 different versions of the Diamond Top Air Boxes - side by side on the production line - at least in the first few months! blink.gif

So maybe others with early-73 MY 2Ls can also weigh in here with pix of their Air Box Top Quirks as well!!!! biggrin.gif

Okay, I'll start with these two early 73's - so aside from this Signal Orange 2L having what would appear to be an erroneous build date sticker, or else it was delayed until after 8/31/72 in its completion - this 914 was built a week & a day before mine, has a VIN 852 before mine & a GA engine 88 before mine .........

... and yet for a week apart & probably on the line at the same time - look at the difference in the stamped top ribbing of the two air cleaner boxes - both of which are the same part number !!?? huh.gif

Air Box for My early-`73 MY "914S" / 914-2.0 - VIN 4732901954, 2.0 Engine # GA000424, Chassis No. 3649545 ( = 8/31/72):

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

> Note than mine above has the 4 additional straight cross-ribs - in addition to the Diamond Top Pattern in the one below .....

Air Box for Signal Orange early-`73 MY "914S" / 914-2.0 - VIN 4732901102, 2.0 Engine # GA000336, Chassis No. 3539559 ( = 8/23/72):

Click to view attachment

idea.gif ... Hmmmmm ...... so many differences & quirks in our 914s...........so little time!

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 25 2010, 02:30 AM) *

I've seen the transition of Air Box Tops (where the square 2L air filter sits inside) from the start of the 2.0 4 Cyl. model's introduction in the 1973 MY - starting in 8/72 build dates.

They progressed from a Diamond pattern of stamped ribbing in the top,
... to just straight top ribs later in the 73 MY (see topic: "The Few, the rare......" Sahara Beige in O&H),

Here's the later 73 MY straight cross ribbed style in Steve's Sahara Beige 2L:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1260287375.jpg

And here's the lint to "The few, the rare....." in the O&H Forum here - well worth the visit to drooley.gif drool at the pix! wub.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...101921&st=0

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.