Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front brake caliped rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
Click to view attachmenti am attempting to rebuild my front calipers, i have eric shea's kit, but can't find a thread on rebuilding the fronts. lots on the rears, anyone got any advice?
looks like i have a problem , i chipped the piston trying to remove it (5 o'clock in the pic)
VaccaRabite
It is a more expensive solution, but buy a set of Eric rebuilt calipers. He stands behind his work, and you really want your car to stop when you want it too.

I wanted to rebuild mine at first too. I got over it quickly. There is only one part of these cars that is likely to kill you if it fails, and that is the brakes. I wanted someone to do it that knew what he was doing. its not a part of the car that you want to learn on the job.

Zach
nycchef
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 25 2010, 09:31 AM) *

It is a more expensive solution, but buy a set of Eric rebuilt calipers. He stands behind his work, and you really want your car to stop when you want it too.

I wanted to rebuild mine at first too. I got over it quickly. There is only one part of these cars that is likely to kill you if it fails, and that is the brakes. I wanted someone to do it that knew what he was doing. its not a part of the car that you want to learn on the job.

Zach

would love to, but i am unemployed and have more time than money, so this is my only choice
rich
SLITS
Haynes Manual, pages 112- 113

Part of the relief in the piston you call a "chip" is for setting the piston in the correct orientation.

Using compressed air makes the piston removal easy.

Need another? .... they're just Type 4 VW and common as assholes (like me). Single or dual bleeder / right or left?
nycchef
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 25 2010, 09:44 AM) *

Part of the relief in the piston you call a "chip" is for setting the piston in the correct orientation.

Need another? .... they're just Type 4 VW and common as assholes (like me). Single or dual bleeder / right or left?

dual, believe it's the right
tat2dphreak
check the classic threads forum. Eric not only stands by his work, but gave a step by step to re-create it.

really tho, his work is worth every penny.
SLITS
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jan 25 2010, 09:53 AM) *

Sitting in the car, looking forward, which one? PM me your addy and I see if I can get one on the way to you tomorrow. Can you wait for it to arrive?

nycchef
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 25 2010, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ Jan 25 2010, 09:53 AM) *

Sitting in the car, looking forward, which one? PM me your addy and I see if I can get one on the way to you tomorrow. Can you wait for it to arrive?

thanks, short of compressed air, how do i get them out?

SLITS
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jan 25 2010, 10:06 AM) *

thanks, short of compressed air, how do i get them out?

You could use a grease gun and thread a grease nipple*** into the fluid inlet. You would have to somehow plug all the fluid holes in the caliper half to put pressure on the piston (which is why it would be better if they were not taken apart).

Maybe Salmon Boy will weigh in on the subject.

Paging Salmon Boy to the white Courtesy Phone ... Paging Salmon Boy to the white Courtesy Phone .....

Answer your damn phone Eric ............... mad.gif

*** Finally remembered ... Zerk? fitting
VaccaRabite
You need some way to push the piston out. Prying will only snap the flange off the piston (which you and I both learned the hard way.)
Can you rent or borrow a small compressor (like for driving nail guns on job sites) for an hour? You also need an air gun - which are usually under $15 at most hardware stores.

Zach
mepstein
Sell something you no longer need on ebay, eat ramen noodles for a while and have Eric rebuild your calipers. He's doing a set for me right now. Just the advise he gave me over the phone (before I gave hime a dollar) will save me hundreds down the road. Plus, my kids will be in the car so I have no choice but to get it done right. Mark
nycchef
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2010, 11:12 AM) *

Sell something you no longer need on ebay, eat ramen noodles for a while and have Eric rebuild your calipers. He's doing a set for me right now. Just the advise he gave me over the phone (before I gave hime a dollar) will save me hundreds down the road. Plus, my kids will be in the car so I have no choice but to get it done right. Mark

e-bay won't let me list my wife, p/u a compressor tonight, see if that moves me along, if not they are off to utah. in the mean time i can rebuild my shiny new orange suspension

Click to view attachment

Eric_Shea
You need to put them back together first.

That chip wont hurt anything. It's under the positioning clip anyway. Most pistons are that way these days. I suspect for reasons such as this.

If they were working on the car when you removed them, air should work. Again, you'll need to put them back together first. Only the rears allow you to disassemble and then remove the pistons. You'll also need to fab a block off plate from sheet stock and a large rubber washer from Lowe's.

If they are stuck you'll need fluid. Water, brake fluid, any fluid (fluids don't compress like air). You can pump them out one at a time with a cheap HF grease gun. Take the tip off and you will have a 10x1mm thread to screw right in. If that's not in the cards (something like $13 bucks), then you can mount them back on the car and play with using the stock MC to pump them out (not fun).

Mark... yours left today! wink.gif
underthetire
1st ones I did I did not have the compressor. Just pulled the pads and pumped the brakes. Come right out with a little mess of coarse.
nycchef
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 25 2010, 10:59 AM) *

You need some way to push the piston out. Prying will only snap the flange off the piston (which you and I both learned the hard way.)
Can you rent or borrow a small compressor (like for driving nail guns on job sites) for an hour? You also need an air gun - which are usually under $15 at most hardware stores.

Zach

o.k got the compressor, what type of air gun do i need? will this work

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Ai...catalogId=10053

nycchef
the more i look the less i like. this ones got a piece broken off

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
yadatsnotgood... huh.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 25 2010, 07:42 PM) *

yadatsnotgood... huh.gif

found another one in n.j. from a 74. good part is i can treat that one like a cadaever, practice on it so maybe i can learn something screwy.gif
nycchef
one more question and they're done. what is the correct orientation of the piston?
is the position in the pic at the top of the thread correct.?
SLITS
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jan 28 2010, 05:47 AM) *

one more question and they're done. what is the correct orientation of the piston?
is the position in the pic at the top of the thread correct.?

Haynes Manual has an image and a drawing of the tool to set them.
Eric_Shea
Haynes Manual has an image and a drawing of the tool to set them.

I think we know what to get Rich for Christmas. huh.gif

IPB Image

Make sure the angle is in the face of the rotor as it sweeps through the pad cavity (this is a passengers side as an example). Easy way to set the angle (that is, without those pad positioners that should have come with your rebuild kits) is to draw the imaginary line in the bore and put the bottom notch in the center of this line.

This is a step you should really get right:

* Make sure you set the angles properly on the appropriate calipers (meaning left and right).
* Make sure your bleeders you want to have at the top will be at the top.
* Install the pad positioners "before" you install the pistons.
* Install the inside clip on the pad positioner first (there's 4 of them stamped in there) then seat the remaining 3.
nycchef
home stretch time, just need to order a couple of parts to finish up. not sure if i got this right. need to replace the soft brake hose that goes into the front caliper, just passed the u clip from the hard brake line. is it # 32/1 in the AA catalogue?
thanks

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/604-05.php
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.