Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First drive in my 914 in JAPAN!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hello, some of you may know me as the guy in Japan, that is right Japan. I have been here for a while with work and might be here for much more longer, its a nice country. Very safe and nice people but a little expensive and not much space compared to back home. Anway a while ago I had my car shipped out to Japan here cause the garage and home it was staying in was sold and I needed to move the car fast and have owned it for around 18 years. The car has mostly been sitting for the last two years in Japan but does run good and I have done some work to it. Still lots more to do and not even close to finishing....so I was able to get a temporary license plate for the car for a 3 day weekend here and I got to drive the car around in Japan. It was the first time I had actually drove my car in around 7 years or so and I must say it was a bit hard at first until I got use to driving the car again after all the years and driving modern and more convenient cars. Though I must say driving the old 914 was so cool and really a blast and nothing you could ever experience in a modern car today. Plus on top of that the attention I got was unbelievable, it was like driving a Ferrari Enzo or Lamborghini. My car caused a huge commotion at the local gas stand when no one could find out how to fill it up. When I parked at the local super market I came out to find 3 middle age men standing over it and they asked all kinds of questions while taking a couple of pictures too. On the way home I was followed by a young couple into the local home center parking lot to be asked what car is this and they told me it was very cool and again more pictures taken of it. People seem to be attracted to this little 914. These cars are almost nonexistent here and really attract attention when they come out. I almost felt like I was a celebrity in some ways driving the car with people pointing, smiling at me, and the occasional picture taking.

Here is a picture I took of it parked in front of a temple, the weather was cold but nice and clear and I had the roof off too.

The goal is to have the car officially certified, registered and licensed by around April or May depending on how things go with the money situation. Wish me luck!

Cheers

PS: I resized the picture because it was too large, if some of you are interested in the full size picture it can be found here (275K) http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/914/my914/my914_31.jpg

Also you can find out more about my car and life in Japan on my mini blog at www.dreamgate.ne.jp/914

IPB Image
Gint
good luck! That's very cool. Hey, how does Japan feel about emissions? Do they test for it at all? Especially on old cars?
Gint
And I'm curious, what do you do that you can work in Japan? Sounds like a blast!
jonferns
More pics please! smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Way to go Jamie! That's terrific.
Mr.242
That's very cool! I know my silver 914 is jealous! All it ever gets to see is the garage! lol-2.gif An occassional visitor to see if they can help get it off the jackstands.

Yours got a boat ride and to VISIT Japan!

IF mine is lucky it just might get to see Packwood, WA for a Shootout!

Packwood v. Japan.....yea pretty much the same thing!

popcorn[1].gif
tod914
Nice shot Jamie. Have your matchbox's, and will ship them out tomorrow for you.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 26 2010, 08:59 AM) *

And I'm curious, what do you do that you can work in Japan? Sounds like a blast!

I believe Jamie is in tool and die and he's a canuck in Japan:D

Konnichiha, eh! shades.gif
rick 918-S
thumb3d.gif bruce.gif silver914.jpg
plymouth37
Awesome pic! congrats!
balljoint
That is very cool. I was fortunate enough to visit Japan a couple of years ago and it is certainly a place I would return to if the opportunity arose. Good luck with the official licensing. smile.gif
mepstein
Just received a check for a set of steel flares from Hidetsugu in Japan so you know there's at least one other teener to look out for.
JRust
Very nice! Good luck with the registration end. Nothing better than driving a 914 after a long hibernation biggrin.gif
Ian Stott
I can only imagine the kind of looks you will get with a 914 in Japan! I understand you have a done quite a bit to get your car ready, it looks good and I am sure you will have as much fun driving it around as I do with mine. Stay safe!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
championgt1
Congrats! driving.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Photoshop poke.gif

Seriously, that's a cool pic. I bet you don't have many 914s to wave at over there. Make sure to take lots of photos of your car in Japan for posterity. (And to share with us!) Japan is not a venue that you normally associate 914 residence in. I'm certain that you are enjoying the unique nature of driving a rare car in a habitat unusual for a 914.

Paul
JazonJJordan
Fantastic Jamie! Send some more pics too~
hcdmueller
Congratulations!!

I am really jealous. The temp needs to get a little higher so I can spend some time on mine. I really want to get some miles in this spring.
PanelBilly
So what do the jack stands look like over there?
watsonrx13
Very cool.... Congrats.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
EdwardBlume
Super cool! Way to stay hooked into your 914! beer.gif
Millerwelds
New desktop backround!
underthetire
Very nice ! And the "little" teener in Japan is actually a big car there!

I enjoyed the temple tours when i was there.
rjames
Very cool!

BTW, what city is that temple in? Kyoto? I am pretty sure I have been there a few years ago. Japan is an amazing place.

SirAndy
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jan 26 2010, 05:49 AM) *

These cars are almost nonexistent here and really attract attention when they come out.

You know of these guys, right?
http://www.porsche914club.jp/

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
RJMII
That's way cool, Jamie! Good to see you got it out and about!
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 26 2010, 10:55 PM) *

good luck! That's very cool. Hey, how does Japan feel about emissions? Do they test for it at all? Especially on old cars?

Hi, thanks!! Japan has strict emissions and rules for licensing your car and also heavy taxes every year. Its called SHAKEN in Japanese. There are probably around 75 - 100 914's in Japan but very few of them actually have SHAKEN or are certified for road use, sadly most of Japan's 914's are parked away but I do know there are a couple of them around but very rare compared to say in North America. As for the emissions I just found out some great news for me, apparently cars from 1973 and up are subject to them. Since my car is a 72 model it seems I am exempt from the tail pipe test but still need the other checks and absolutely no oil leaks and no rust rot too. My goal is for this spring if funds allow and since its a new registration (car coming from overseas) its even harder. Hope I pass. Thanks and cheers

Jamie
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2010, 02:29 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jan 26 2010, 05:49 AM) *

These cars are almost nonexistent here and really attract attention when they come out.

You know of these guys, right?
http://www.porsche914club.jp/

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the link. Sure I know them. I have contacted them and once I pass the certification I will join thr 914 JP club but they require a 50 dollar annual fee to join and really all it lets you do is join there forum in Japanese with much less information than 914 World. They did have one event last year but since my car was not ready I could not make it and they also wanted a few hundred dollars to just come out and watch. I believe 5 or 6 cars showed up from all of Japan. There are probably closer to around 75 - 100 cars in Japan but unfortunately most of them are not on the road or certified or legal such as my car too. So I would say that is pretty rare or almost nonexistent. I have lived and worked in Japan for around 11 years or so now and have never seen a 914 ever on the road driving. But I do know of one guy who does have an original 6 in yellow stored away in his garage. They are very rare cars here in this part of the world.

Cheers
Jamie
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 28 2010, 02:00 AM) *

Very cool!

BTW, what city is that temple in? Kyoto? I am pretty sure I have been there a few years ago. Japan is an amazing place.

Hi, actually I don't know the name of the temple...I was just so happy to drive my 914 after all those years and was aimlessly cruising around and drove by it and thought that would be awesome to take a picture of the car there and did a U-turn and took the photo. Sorry, not sure of the name but its not in Kyoto, it is in fact here in Nagoya which is about a 3 hour drive West of Kyoto. I have been to Kyoto in the past and that is an amazing city and their temples are even much much better than the ones in Nagoya. Thanks!!

Jamie
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 28 2010, 01:31 AM) *

Very nice ! And the "little" teener in Japan is actually a big car there!

I enjoyed the temple tours when i was there.

Haha, yes! That is right and so funny!! Compared to some of the smaller ultra light cars (under 660cc by law and have a yellow license plate) it is bigger...but my friend has this older Suzuki Capucino 660cc sports car (named after the coffee drink) and they are close in size. The 914 is a bit longer and also quite a bit wider but much lower so it looks really small. When people sit in the car to try it out they are amazed how low it is but once inside its quite spacious and then the twin trunks is a surprise too. biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jan 28 2010, 12:54 AM) *

New desktop backround!

Thanks!! I did the same thing too and liked the picture so much I changed my avatar to it for a new look. Cheers!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.