Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 or squareback
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wheelboy
Hello, I just got me a 1972 914 I posted some pix. the car is in real good condition and it runs, I like it a lot and is my first Porsche. I always had vw's and I also like them. well I have a guy that wants to trade me a 1966 squareback for my 914, the vw is in good condition and it runs good, solid metal. can you guy's tell me what you think?? I like them and don't know what to do. give me some input. confused24.gif sad.gif
smontanaro
Keep the teener. Buy the Squareback from him. biggrin.gif
johnnie5
QUOTE(wheelboy @ Jan 26 2010, 10:47 AM) *

Hello, I just got me a 1972 914 I posted some pix. the car is in real good condition and it runs, I like it a lot and is my first Porsche. I always had vw's and I also like them. well I have a guy that wants to trade me a 1966 squareback for my 914, the vw is in good condition and it runs good, solid metal. can you guy's tell me what you think?? I like them and don't know what to do. give me some input. confused24.gif sad.gif

This forum may not be the best place to ask that question! I have been a VW fan since I was able to talk, and having owned many (from bugs to things to buggys), I can sympathize with your dilemma.... a little. Squareback vs. 914 though - Come on! biggrin.gif
Zundfolge
Since its a squareback I'd keep the 914 ... now if it were a notchback I'd have to seriously think about it.
underthetire
I liked my squareback, but the 914 is so much more fun. Even the Notch was no where as good as the 914. The 63 vert ghia was fun though.
VaccaRabite
If the Squareback was in better condition then the 914, I'd consider it.

A lot depends on what you want to use the car for. if you want a sports car, keep the 914. If you want a cool cruiser, its hard to beat a squareback (especially if you have a family).

Zach
type47
What do you want to do with the cars? Daily driver? Occasional weekend fun car? How handy are you with mechanics/what experience do you have with VW's? Since this is a 914 site, I'd bet most will say go for the 914 but you need to check it out for rust first. Get the one least rusty....
zymurgist
A squareback will never be a 914. I think you would regret giving up the 914.
bembry
We need some pics!!!
Zaney
If it were a Notch or a Fastback then I would consider it! But stay with the teener.
Krieger
914 is a lot more fun and the values are shooting up. A squareback is okay, but it looks like a grandmas car as my wife put it
al weidman
914's don't like to get wet. If your car is free of rust, try to keep it that way. The closest my car gets to water is a wet rag. My type 2's and type 3's do much better in the rain. If it's possible to get both, go for it. Clean 914's are going to appreciate and after all it is a Porsche. Al.
jmill
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jan 26 2010, 01:10 PM) *

Since its a squareback I'd keep the 914 ... now if it were a notchback I'd have to seriously think about it.

agree.gif Notchbacks are sweet. A lot more teeners out there then Notches.
wheelboy
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 26 2010, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jan 26 2010, 01:10 PM) *

agree.gif Notchbacks are sweet. A lot more teeners out there then Notches.

T/you guy's, I'm going to stay with my 914. I think is a better car over all. smilie_pokal.gif
djporsche
Well it all depends on what you wanna do with the cars. If you like driving fast with the top off keep the 914. If you like cruising with the familia get the Square. If you go look at the square check the pans under the battery tray. Make sure it has a pancake motor no upright type 1 (BUG) motor, it will not cool right and will run hot all the time. 66 is a good year for type 3's, they have the more desirable look, the slant nose not a pig nose and smaller tail lights. Post some pics.
aircooledtechguy
I threw a 914 2.0L in my '67 Squareback. . . Now that's a fun Squareback!! driving.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 26 2010, 04:30 PM) *

I threw a 914 2.0L in my '67 Squareback. . . Now that's a fun Squareback!! driving.gif

I had my 2.0 type 1 Berg engine in a squareback till I smoked the IRS tranny, freaking thing would haul butt.
Ian Stott
I had a 69 Fastback in 73 and I really liked it, but that was the year I saw the 914 for the first time and I always wanted one since then. I had my Fastback for 3 years so I feel qualified to say as good as it was it doesn't come close to my 914. If you have decided to keep your teener you have made the best choice in my opinion, you will probably never have a more fun car.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mike Bellis
I rolled my squareback driving it like a 914 driving.gif

I've never even come close to rolling my 914 piratenanner.gif
EyeTrip
I have been rustoring a 65 notch aswell as repairing a daily driver 914. My take on it is the 914 is much easier to find good parts for than the vw T3. And in many ways it's cheaper for the 914 too.
KELTY360
This is easy. Every 914 needs a sidekick. A Squareback would make a perfect wing man. Besides, the jack stands are interchangeable. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I agree with skip.

I want a squareback, but I wont trad a 914 for it if they are in equal shape.
pete-stevers
my thoughts are....a sqr back is going to be as much work( if they are both rust free) as the the teener,
but the teener can give you a lot more hair razing expeirence!
i would stick with the teener, and start figuring out where you can go with it.
buy the square back later...or better yet a fasty
DBCooper
So lemme see here, on one hand a fun sports car... on the other hand a grocery getter.... gosh, I just can't make up my mind!

Well there IS a slower car on the road, so I wonder what the guys in the 21 window would think? Why don't you ask them: [What the heck WAS that!?]
Shade Tree
I like vw's.... a lot. So, I'd buy the squareback and use it to go get 914 parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.