Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Argueably The Toughest Stuff I've Done on the Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Pretty excited, happy and relieved with some progress I've made in the last day or two. I installed Elephant Racing rubber bushings on the a-arms and rear control arms, rear bearing installation and pulled in the hubs. Bushing installation was a huge PIA, not as easy as Chuck makes it look in his video. Doing the bearing/hub work I was real nervous about boning it up and ruining those $$$ bearings. Done, behind me now...moving on. smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Lookin' good! I always found bearings and bushings to be a PITA too.
IronHillRestorations
Looks goooood!

Nah, that's gravy compared to dealing with the fresh air box/air diverters/cables up front!
kconway
Ohhh, that blows...I've got to do that also!

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 27 2010, 05:38 AM) *

Looks goooood!

Nah, that's gravy compared to dealing with the fresh air box/air diverters/cables up front!

sixaddict
Looks like nicely refinished arms....Thinking about powder coating a set were these done that way...IF so do I need to total strip bushings and bearing due to curing heat.
Thanks
Terry
strawman
I just finished powder-coating my suspension bits (in my garage!!!), installing new bearings throughout, and installing Elephant polybronze bushings front/rear -- so i know your pain.

Everything went together pretty well, except for I broke off one of the zerk fittings on the rear trailing arms and had to order a replacement from ERP. Nice stuff, though! I'll post my pics on my build thread this weekend.

I hope you enjoy the rubber bushings -- be sure give us a write up once you get a chance to test drive the car.

Geoff
Eric_Shea
Everything went together pretty well, except for I broke off one of the zerk fittings on the rear trailing arms and had to order a replacement from ERP.

Not that it will help now but... I have a ton of those on the shelf. I don't use them as I use 6x1 zerks instead. Those 5x.8 zerks have bugged me since day one. Too small. Too fragile.

Looks great Kevin. What are you going to do about the bare spot? I'd POR15 it. Another note for Elephant Bronze guys:

Install the bearing races on the arms using JB Weld prior to powdercoating. Have your powdercoater tape them off. The JB Weld will hold up to 500 degrees and will be fine in the powder process. This will eliminate having to sand off the powder and have a bare spot on your freshly coated arms.

Hope that helps.

Crap... I've got to take out that fresh air box as well!! headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
Thinking about powder coating a set were these done that way...IF so do I need to total strip bushings and bearing due to curing heat.

Yes. Powder cures (flows) at around 450. So do rubber bushings and plastic bearing seals. biggrin.gif

Take them down to bare metal.
6freak
Im doing that very job Feb 6th (bushings&bearings).....your scaring me sad.gif you mentioned a video??
Frost
Wow, looks good, let us know how it drives.
pcar916
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 27 2010, 05:38 AM) *

Looks goooood!

agree.gif However, the 911 cables are worse... oh yes, MUCH worse. ar15.gif
kconway
ER has a video on they're website that shows how "easy" the front a-arm bushing are to install. In all fairness, if you happen to have a long reach bar clamp used in his "how-to" video it is probably pretty easy. I used a set of bar clamps I had for woodworking and I ended up breaking both, it just didn't have a deep enough reach but I got it to work. Make sure you study really closely the orientation of the front carriers and I goofed it the first time and had to redo a PIA job.

Kev

QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 28 2010, 09:14 AM) *

Im doing that very job Feb 6th (bushings&bearings).....your scaring me sad.gif you mentioned a video??

Eric_Shea
Im doing that very job Feb 6th (bushings&bearings).....your scaring me you mentioned a video??

Mike, his are rubber. Your's will be a veritable "breeze" in comparison.
6freak
I feel better now ..lol..I still think its a big job ....Cant be any harder then ajusting my valves ,thats a bitch..Im sure i will be calling you Erik ...P.S what size drill&tap for the trailing arms??prolly in the instructions just havent read them yet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.