Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring a rear defog window from relay board?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachment

At the top of this diagram is the relay for the rear defog window, which as i see it is connected to the 2 open posts on the relay board; In the above diagram 1 post(#86) has a yellow and red stripe wire and the other post (#87) a green wire. If I power from the switch in the dash to the yellow red stripe wire's post(#86) and then run wire from the green wire's post (#87) to my window power side and then gound the other side of the window, I am good to go? Any one know how to fog a window for testing? (Other than heavy petting at drive in movie)
Jeffs9146
I think for that to work you will need to make sure relay #52 is in place!

PS: I think you are just completing the circut not putting power to those wires?? confused24.gif
jim_hoyland
Sounds right. Test the window's circuit for continuity with an ohmmeter. I don't have rear window defrost, but I used that circuit to power my seat heaters.
SirAndy
Looks like you are correct.

The green wire is switched power from the relay (52) running through the 25A fuse (91).

The yellow/red wire is the trigger wire for the relay.

bye1.gif Andy
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 27 2010, 09:39 AM) *

Looks like you are correct.

The green wire is switched power from the relay (52) running through the 25A fuse (91).

The yellow/red wire is the trigger wire for the relay.

bye1.gif Andy

I agree with andy here as the 2 posts/ wires already run thought #52 relay on the board. Basically Just need confirmation as I have the rear window and #52 relay and the dash switch already installed just needed to wire it up.. 914 world is the best place for me to check my brain.. Thanks Andy/..
detoxcowboy
Just to finish this thread off, Andy was correct, Thanks for the confirmation!! Also for anyone thinking about doing this it is easy as pie.. I jumped wire/ tapped the power and ground from the cig lighter to the defrost switch (power is copper and next to it un coppered is the ground on the defrost switch.. this gournd allow the switched to be lighted when you pull it out) then ran the power(bottom solo tab on the defrost switch) to the relay board as stated above (using common bullets at the relay board) then from the realy board to the driver'side tab on the defrost windshield. on the passenger side of the windshield ran a ground to the firewall. done ..
kconway
Way too anti-climatic way to finish off this thread...lets see a photo of the finished glass installed. I'd like to see how the wires come off the window if its visable. poke.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 31 2010, 10:07 PM) *

Way too anti-climatic way to finish off this thread...lets see a photo of the finished glass installed. I'd like to see how the wires come off the window if its visable. poke.gif

You have seen a defrost window? There are 2 tabs (electrical standard) one on each side that are hidden behind the pillar padding absolutely invisible when the padding is replaced. The wires can only come off the window one way,.. down. And down would be behind the pillars padding and around the seat belts then they are on the firewall going to either ground or to the realy board. Nothing climatic as there are no other options..
kconway
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 1 2010, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 31 2010, 10:07 PM) *

You have seen a defrost window? There are 2 tabs (electrical standard) one on each side that are hidden behind the pillar padding absolutely invisible when the padding is replaced. The wires can only come off the window one way,.. down. And down would be behind the pillars padding and around the seat belts then they are on the firewall going to either ground or to the realy board. Nothing climatic as there are no other options..

So, the short answer is not visable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.