Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JMKnight
First of all I would like to thank all who responded to my first question about the GT front/back fiberglas bumpers. You guys reallY rock !!
Now I am on the trail of a suitable oilcooler. The stuff that I see online seems to be from some type of VW or Mazda and does not match what was in the GT. I am not trying to completely replicate a GT, but would like to have a few of the options offered for that car. Especially the oilcooler, swaybars, little things.
Where would a guy get a replica of the oilcooler that mounts in the front and looks and performs suitably. Like a maybe something from RennSport. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif chair.gif

My buddies are screaming about cutting up a stone stock 914-6 and I am sick and tired of stock sh*t. I'd have been better off with a mongrel and not a prom queen.
dr914@autoatlanta.com

We always use the Jim patrick motorsports one. It fits perfectly and with the shroud and air guide looks very very factory gt

QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jan 27 2010, 12:37 PM) *

First of all I would like to thank all who responded to my first question about the GT front/back fiberglas bumpers. You guys reallY rock !!
Now I am on the trail of a suitable oilcooler. The stuff that I see online seems to be from some type of VW or Mazda and does not match what was in the GT. I am not trying to completely replicate a GT, but would like to have a few of the options offered for that car. Especially the oilcooler, swaybars, little things.
Where would a guy get a replica of the oilcooler that mounts in the front and looks and performs suitably. Like a maybe something from RennSport. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif chair.gif

My buddies are screaming about cutting up a stone stock 914-6 and I am sick and tired of stock sh*t. I'd have been better off with a mongrel and not a prom queen.

JMKnight
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 27 2010, 11:39 AM) *

We always use the Jim patrick motorsports one. It fits perfectly and with the shroud and air guide looks very very factory gt

QUOTE(JMKnight @ Jan 27 2010, 12:37 PM) *

Thanks Dr914 ! That does look good. I'm gonna start rebuilding as soon as I can scrunge the pesos!!
badm
I'm gonna start rebuilding as soon as I can scrunge the pesos!!

It starts for all of us like that, just one small part, then just one more. Next thing your in GT rehab!. When you do a GT clone don't ever add up all the invoices you will have a stroke. Ben beerchug.gif
carr914
You'll never be able to afford a Real GT Cooler - Super Big$$$

An RX-7 is almost the same size and very good.

T.C.

Here is a RePo GT cooler and an RX7

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 27 2010, 04:20 PM) *

That 'GT' cooler looks an awful lot like a contemporary Mercedes Benz oil cooler ...
idea.gif Andy
JMKnight
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 27 2010, 04:20 PM) *

You'll never be able to afford a Real GT Cooler - Super Big$$$

An RX-7 is almost the same size and very good.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Is that lower photo a pic of the RePo cooler , the big buck one??
carr914
Yes, and here is a Real GT cooler I sold a couple of years ago. I am almost ashamed to say I only paid $200 for it, used it and then sold it for $2,400. As ChicagoPete said, it might cost me twice that to buy it back.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I'd have been better off with a mongrel and not a prom queen.

Do yourself (and the original 914-6) a favor and sell the prom queen and use the money to build an awesome mongrel.

This coming from someone who felt the "exact" same way and did the "exact" same thing.
underthetire
Or, sell the queen and buy someone Else's mongrel, and pocket the extra $$.

I agree with save the originals that are left.
sixaddict
Ben is correct ....don't keep the records you will be ill.
I have a real six ...bought real Porsche steel flairs ......got cold feet and colder wallet.......Pulled rear fenders of convert to fit 225 X50s and then found a barn resident GT conversion that had a purportedly bad engine .....Did the switch and a year later getting ready to sell the original conversion. Those flares on a 914 is a lot like breast implants. Always amusing to watch even if you wouldn't want them yourself ! You got have some HP to go with them but in a six not that much.
burton73
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 28 2010, 10:06 AM) *

My car was a hot rod 6 with GT elements done in the mid 70’s by Trotman/ Bates shop With the 2.5 SS and metal GT oil cooling done. To flair my car was not a huge decision as my car had earls S brakes RS front end, and lots of changes so is never going back to be a stock 6. Still no rust in the longs or anyplace to worry on. Sitting for 20 years in So. Cal.

The good news is your car probably drives and you can enjoy it. I had to buy a 76 2.0 just to have a 914 to drive as I wanted to drive one around in the time it would take me to finish my cars.

Bob

Click to view attachment
JMKnight
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 28 2010, 10:06 AM) *

It is a dilemma.
JMKnight
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 28 2010, 08:21 AM) *

I'd have been better off with a mongrel and not a prom queen.

Do yourself (and the original 914-6) a favor and sell the prom queen and use the money to build an awesome mongrel.

This coming from someone who felt the "exact" same way and did the "exact" same thing.

Love the advice guys. Your right, I will restrain myself to small changes, inner-door panels sway bars ( gotta have the bars )and maybe just the fiberglass bumpers, no cooler. I just can't stand that silly ( gotta have the bars) chrome mouth that Porsche put the front if that car. The prior owner did have the body strengthened and it has been repainted so I think that some "tasteful redesign" of
of the weaker elements of the 914's visual appearance would be in order, besides it reserves the original parts in their ogininal condition in case I driving.gif bump somethins.
carr914
If you are going to put swaybars on, you can do the 911 Underbody Front sway - That way you won't have to cut into anything. And it's a bigger bar.

T.C.
Joe Bob
BAT Inc. Do a google it comes up.

I wouldn't buy a used washer from Patrick Motorsports....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.