Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car will not start UP DATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So now that I changed the relay box (from my other 914) the fuel pump works fine but 3 of the injectors started to leak. Thank God I have my red car down so now Im pulling parts from that car confused24.gif
A cranked the car and still would not start could no spark at the dis cap be from bad pints?
underthetire
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 27 2010, 09:20 PM) *

So now that I changed the relay box (from my other 914) the fuel pump works fine but 3 of the injectors started to leak. Thank God I have my red car down so now Im pulling parts from that car confused24.gif
A cranked the car and still would not start could no spark at the dis cap be from bad pints?

I don't know about any bad pints beer3.gif Too many and nuthin i fix seems to work.

But, if the points are not set right it won't start, but they would have to be way off not to at least try to start. You need to pull at least one injector and put it in a small jar and try cranking the car. See if you are getting fuel. If not, keep going. If you are, start on ignition.
oldschool
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 27 2010, 09:24 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 27 2010, 09:20 PM) *

I don't know about any bad pints beer3.gif Too many and nuthin i fix seems to work.

But, if the points are not set right it won't start, but they would have to be way off not to at least try to start. You need to pull at least one injector and put it in a small jar and try cranking the car. See if you are getting fuel. If not, keep going. If you are, start on ignition.

sorry about the spelly lol-2.gif lol any way I have fuel just no spark?
rick 918-S
OK, approach the problem from this angle. Car was running. Then sudden no start condition. You determined the fuel pump was not running which was then traced to the relay board failure. If the only thing you did was change the relay board by unplugging one and plugging in another then it should start and run.

Second problem: When attempting start you noticed the injectors leaking. (hose?)

If the injectors are leaking then you must have fuel pressure. So, the relay board likely fixed one thing but likely caused a second problem.

Replace the leaking injectors and go back to the plugs on the relay board and check to see if you have switched power from the ignition through the relay board. You could have damaged a wire while unplugging/plugging in the replacement board.

I'd look there.
underthetire
Cool. So, you have fuel coming out of the injector tip then it's time to go after ignition. Start with simple stuff first. You will either need a multi-meter or test light. Check to see if you have +12 volts on the + side of the coil to ground with the ignition switch in the on position.
no-check fuses and relay board connections.
Still no, check ignition switch.

You can jumper + on the coil to battery + to try it.

Make sure the green wire from the distributor-points wire-is on the - side of the coil

All above ok, swap coil from other car, swap coil wire from other car.

Still no good swap dist. cap and rotor from other car ( may be a missing spring pin on the rotor causing problem)

Report back biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 27 2010, 09:34 PM) *

OK, approach the problem from this angle. Car was running. Then sudden no start condition. You determined the fuel pump was not running which was then traced to the relay board failure. If the only thing you did was change the relay board by unplugging one and plugging in another then it should start and run.

Second problem: When attempting start you noticed the injectors leaking. (hose?)

If the injectors are leaking then you must have fuel pressure. So, the relay board likely fixed one thing but likely caused a second problem.

Replace the leaking injectors and goback to the plugs on the relay board and check to see if you have switched power from the ignition through the relay board. You could have damaged a wire while unplugging/plugging in the replacement board.

I'd look there.

thanks rick, But No ,the car is a new 914 for me I pick up a some time again the po said its been sitting for a 2 years he did say that one of the injectors was leaking so I changed all of the o rings. So I never had it running yet.
I'm going to buy a new set of points and dis/cap , One thing Brad told me was to just replace all of my injectors and the lines with my red car (again red car is down we don't yet know why)
rick 918-S
OH! This is not the car that shut down the other day... That was you right? So many guys here's it's hard to remember everyones issue.

So, Fuel pump is now running.

Engine cranking?

No spark?

Try this. Remove the dizzy cap, Turn on the ignition switch, take somthing non metallic and open and close the points to see if they spark.
oldschool
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 27 2010, 10:21 PM) *

OH! This is not the car that shut down the other day... That was you right? So many guys here's it's hard to remember everyones issue.

Engine cranking?

No spark?

Try this. Remove the dizzy cap, Turn on the ignition switch, take somthing non metallic and open and close the points to see if they spark.

love it rick, old school just like on my old datsun 510 bye1.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 27 2010, 10:24 PM) *

Engine cranking?

No spark?

Ya man, Real basic. That's where I'd start. If no spark to the points I would still back track through the relay board to see if you have switched power to the ignition harness section through the board.

If you have spark I'd change out the injectors and work my way through the rotor, cap and wires and see where it leads.
oldschool
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 27 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Engine cranking?

No spark?

Ya man, Real basic. That's where I'd start. If no spark to the points I would still back track through the relay board to see if you have switched power to the ignition harness section through the board.

If you have spark I'd change out the injectors and work my way through the rotor, cap and wires and see where it leads.

Rick piratenanner.gif got new points,cap, rotor, aktion035.gif started right up first try cheer.gif ...But 2 more injectors started leaking headbang.gif good thing my red car had good parts. aktion035.gif now I know why people have more then one tenner lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 28 2010, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 27 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Engine cranking?

No spark?

Rick piratenanner.gif got new points,cap, rotor, aktion035.gif started right up first try cheer.gif ...But 2 more injectors started leaking headbang.gif good thing my red car had good parts. aktion035.gif now I know why people have more then one tenner lol-2.gif

I've had 5 teeners I think. I've only had one that ever ran. All the rest were parts.

I'd probably replace all the fuel lines if the injectors are leaking. These cars have been known to flame up from leaking fuel.

Glad to read it fired up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.