Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914chic
Hi there ,

and thanks in advance.

I am lookikng at installing electronic ignition in my car and was wondering what your guys thoughts were as far as brand and etc..

I was looking at the crane setup but was curious if you need to buy the ignitor that goes in the distributor as well with the kit...I would think so correct.

The car is a 74 914 1.8 already converted to carbs..
underthetire
Well, I don't know much about crane set ups, but why would you want to go with a high spark set up and keep points. Go with either a pointless setup with a std coil, or do the whole shebang IMO.
Larouex
I am working on a conversion to Crane xr700 and the LX92 coil with a resistor. I am mounting on a stacked aluminum setup and fabbing that right now. I started a thread on this a little while back, so this get's you started...

Crane Thread

There are lots of other options, like HotSpark and simpler points replacements, so it all depends on how you want to go.

I will document my install in a week or two.

Larouex
gothspeed
How about a 009 with pertronix? I have not used it, but i think it would be low maintenance and cost effective. smile.gif
Van
I'm putting an Electromotive unit with a crank trigger on mine...

http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/page16.html

Haven't started it up yet, so I can't tell you how it works.
IronHillRestorations
You can use a Pertronix Ignitor to trigger a MSD AL6, for the money this would be hard to beat.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(914chic @ Jan 27 2010, 09:34 PM) *

Hi there ,

and thanks in advance.

I am lookikng at installing electronic ignition in my car and was wondering what your guys thoughts were as far as brand and etc..

I was looking at the crane setup but was curious if you need to buy the ignitor that goes in the distributor as well with the kit...I would think so correct.

I have been using Crane for 2 year and never a problem, long trip and daily driver.. never noticed it but the wiring is the color of the German Flag.. I recieved the kit from the P.O. and everything I needed was there,.. I have never reead yet of someone having a problem with crane, the other ones I have.. but that may not mean anything, maybe no one buys them.. I like it
underthetire
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 27 2010, 10:54 PM) *

How about a 009 with pertronix? I have not used it, but i think it would be low maintenance and cost effective. smile.gif

Don't ever mention a 009 on this forum again poke.gif

009 don't work well in the type iv BTW.

I had one of these. I loved it.
http://www.compufire.com/vw-products-main.html
Larouex
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 28 2010, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(914chic @ Jan 27 2010, 09:34 PM) *

Hi there ,

and thanks in advance.

I have been using Crane for 2 year and never a problem, long trip and daily driver.. never noticed it but the wiring is the color of the German Flag.. I recieved the kit from the P.O. and everything I needed was there,.. I have never reead yet of someone having a problem with crane, the other ones I have.. but that may not mean anything, maybe no one buys them.. I like it

The latest Crane install uses a universal bracket versus a Bosch specific one, you have any shots of the positioning in your Dizzy of the optical trigger? That would be a good shot to add to the thread IMO.

Larouex
rhcb914
I've had a crane system die on me. Lasted about 5 years then one day I tried to start the car and nothing. Overall the system was good but you had to find a place to mount the box and deal with the wiring harness.

I ended up switching to Pertronix. Cheaper, smaller (mounts right in the dizzy), no wiring harness to deal with as it looks just like points with no condenser. The only issue is now I am parinoid about leaving the key on for more than a few seconds with the car not running as that fries these little buggers.

With all these systems I would keep a spare dizzy with points to swap out if they die.

pbanders
I have a Crane XR3000 with their PS60 coil, it's been in the car for at least 5 years. It's worked perfectly, never had any issues, timing is rock solid.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Jan 28 2010, 04:57 PM) *

I've had a crane system die on me. Lasted about 5 years then one day I tried to start the car and nothing. Overall the system was good but you had to find a place to mount the box and deal with the wiring harness.

I ended up switching to Pertronix. Cheaper, smaller (mounts right in the dizzy), no wiring harness to deal with as it looks just like points with no condenser. The only issue is now I am parinoid about leaving the key on for more than a few seconds with the car not running as that fries these little buggers.

With all these systems I would keep a spare dizzy with points to swap out if they die.

Actually...the generation 2 version of the Pertronx cured the key on = fried pertronix thing. Now the only thing that can fry one is hooking it up backwards.
underthetire
So, kinda on the same topic, there are 2 other dizzy's I was looking at, one being the MSD, and the other a MSD copy. Anyone fit one in a type 4? looks like it would be a tight fit. Or even the pertronix dizzy.
Larouex
I fab'd up my Crane mount tonight and wanted to send it along. I am still trying to decide where I final mount, but I wanted it compact as I could get it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers,
Larouex
914chic
QUOTE(Larouex @ Jan 28 2010, 08:48 PM) *

I fab'd up my Crane mount tonight and wanted to send it along. I am still trying to decide where I final mount, but I wanted it compact as I could get it.

Cheers,
Larouex

thanks for all the feedback so far, so I am thinking that I am gonna go with the crane setup and now my last question is ...are you gouys still using the stock distributor?
914chic
also does anybody have any pictures of this setup or your setup installed????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.