Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble shooting a 2.2 / 6 cyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew5785
I've recently swapped the motor on my 914 from a 1.7-4 to a 2.2-6cyl. This is my first porsche so I'm not an expert. Let me explain my problem:
I've swapped the motor, hooked up all the wires and plumbing. But it wont start. I've worked on other cars before so I've gone through the basics. Its getting gas, it turns over fine, and seems to be getting plenty of spark. But no bang. My only thought is that the timing is off. I've heard that you have to crank the motor tell the notch in the front pulley is at 12:00 then check that the rotor is pointing to the number one wire.
Anyone thats worked on a 914-6 knows how impossible it is to really work on the front pulley. From what I can tell the timing is right too. Anyone have any tips or ideas. I dont want to give in and take it to a thief...I mean mechanic.

Click to view attachment
oldschool
QUOTE(drew5785 @ Jan 27 2010, 10:05 PM) *

I've recently swapped the motor on my 914 from a 1.7-4 to a 2.2-6cyl. This is my first porsche so I'm not an expert. Let me explain my problem:
I've swapped the motor, hooked up all the wires and plumbing. But it wont start. I've worked on other cars before so I've gone through the basics. Its getting gas, it turns over fine, and seems to be getting plenty of spark. But no bang. My only thought is that the timing is off. I've heard that you have to crank the motor tell the notch in the front pulley is at 12:00 then check that the rotor is pointing to the number one wire.
Anyone thats worked on a 914-6 knows how impossible it is to really work on the front pulley. From what I can tell the timing is right too. Anyone have any tips or ideas. I dont want to give in and take it to a thief...I mean mechanic. Click to view attachment

very cool dude Talk to Brad, I told him about you, he can help,BTW I have not put my 1.7 that I got from you in my red car yet. May do it this week end? welcome.png
underthetire
I see the problem. You are missing the spark plugs. poke.gif

and
welcome.png
sixnotfour
probably 180 out ofhe time.
Check for compression at the TDC mark. Or swap the wires around and see if it starts.
Mark Henry
Many peeps cut a window in the firewall so they can set their timing, then cover it with a tin cover and the backpad.
jt914-6
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 28 2010, 06:08 AM) *

Many peeps cut a window in the firewall so they can set their timing, then cover it with a tin cover and the backpad.

Or to change a fan belt........ smash.gif
IronHillRestorations
Nice project! There could be a number of reasons your engine won't run, so you need to start from square one. The engine has to rotate twice to get #1 cylinder to TDC.

Double check the following and make sure it's dead on the nuts.
Valve lash
Cam timing
Ignition timing
Spark plug gap

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.