Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm thinking more and more about a smallish 6 transplant, after drooling over Ahdoman's 2.4 w/CIS, drooley.gif I thought I'd toy with the idea of a conversion. So, as an exploritory excercise I was wondering what I could sell my newly rebuilt 2.0 that has yet to be installed in my car. Any idea what the following package should net? Just trying to get an idea if a 6 will fit within my budget and an idea what my engine would sell for might give me an idea if its affordable. idea.gif

Engine and head work was performed by EMW in Hawthorne, CA. http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/

Newly rebuilt 2.0 big bore w/FI has not been broken in yet built by European Motor Works
Balanced 96mm P’s & C’s
STD/STD balanced crank
Balanced rods stock
Case has been align bored and galley plugs replaced
Heads renewed cracks and plug holes welded and retapped, valve job
Loads of new FI parts including
+NOS ECU
+NOS MPS (tested good)
+NOS Injectors
+NOS Throttle switch
+NEW fuel pressure regulator
+New Cylinder head sensor
+New Thermo time switch
+New cold start valve
New Bowlsby FI harness, Engine harness and Alternator harness
Powdercoated Tin
Fuel pump
Spotless set of SSI HE’s
Triad Muffler (I assume this couldn't be used on a 6)
SLITS
The problem is not what it is worth rather the amount it would sell for. Only you know what you paid and what your labor is worth, Add the figures up and see if it will sell. You might also consider trying to trade a /4 for a /6. Test the waters.

Small six, big six really makes no difference. The conversion prices are the same (essentially) for all of them up to a 2.7L. From 3.0 up add in a conversion flywheel clutch assembly. The cost of the engine is the main variable and what you want to do with it (run a used one or rebuild one = $$). Steve has a rebuilt 2.4L. Kapn Kaos had a conversion that hadn't run in years, etc. Many of us have other engines in varying condition.

You also get into a sticky area as to what induction system ... Carbs = $$$. CIS or ??.

Sorry, no help here.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif test the waters with what you need to get to make it right....

I would think anyone who HAS to do this kind of rebuild and would not do it themselves would pay $7-8K. You might do better parting but its a tough market....

EdwardBlume
I should also mention that if you finish the car.. find the right international buyer and then buy a conversion /6 (with patience), you'll probably make it further along with your dollars...
kconway
I've already got the car flared (AA and 8" Fuch freshly painted and putting back together) and brake system prepped for a conversion, don't think it would do well in an overseas sale. Got everything except the motor. I figured I'd drive it with the 4 until the day I could afford the 6 conversion. But was thinking I might want to just break down now and do it all at once since it's on the jackstands...

If I could get $2.5K out of my engine package, I'd be in satisfied. Especially if a nice 2.4L 6 that had recently been rebuilt W/CIS was available out there @ $3.5K smilie_pokal.gif !

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 28 2010, 06:53 AM) *

I should also mention that if you finish the car.. find the right international buyer and then buy a conversion /6 (with patience), you'll probably make it further along with your dollars...
Cap'n Krusty
A 2.4 with CIS? All the CIS parts are unavailable, and have been for about 20 years, and 2.7 stuff doesn't fit. $3500 wouldn't pay for the parts for a rebuild, much less the labor and machine shop charges. I'd be REALLY careful what I spent my money on. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
you have a new 2056, which is a great engine for a 914. I am not sure that a 2.4 is going to be a significant improvement. You will get a little more power, but also a little more weight. Will the P/W ratio be better with the 2.4? Not to mention that you have the 2056 in hand, which can be installed and driven w/o further modification of the car, while the 6 will take considerable extra work to get in.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
It would probably be worth more as a proven engine.
ME733
....WELL...I,m not In the engine rebuilding business , or any other porsche rebuilding stuff anymore...(thank you lord)...BUT this may give you an Idea of some basic market values. IN GEORGIA. I purchased a complete 1974 2.0 (rusted to death) 914 with mahle wheels for 1000.00. good core 2.0 engine., wheels, and transmission. some new parts, lots of good bits and pieces.(I wanted some spare parts)...Cars of this sort are out there if you are patient...Now that said,what is a rebuilt 914 engine worth....(a long block).maybe 2500.00....add sheetmetal, add injection, or carbs,add exhaust(ss)system, add internal engine extras that are really special. Selling the long block, and the other parts, and pieces, will probably be (do-able) more cost effective for you, and selling the bits and pieces,...(it'll take some time)..could net you what you may wish/think the total assembled engine package is worth. Now these ideas presented , can be compaired to ...say the GTX, engine rebuilders (with a warrenty) to compair to sort of. IMO.
tat2dphreak
yup, proven and rebuilt are 2 different things... a rebuilt engine might run like shit when you actually bolt it up... ask me how I know
ME733
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 28 2010, 02:33 PM) *

yup, proven and rebuilt are 2 different things... a rebuilt engine might run like shit when you actually bolt it up... ask me how I know

............OK...my curosity can not stand it!!! I am asking "how you know"...and please include all the gory/horrable/ frustrating/ piss you off to hell and back details/. As I am a gear head , you might can add some more to my, and the collective knowledge base....thanks M.M.
kconway
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 28 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Yep, don't disagree...but it is guaranteed but that's little help to anyone but a local buyer. Very reputable shop built the engine and I have the receipts but realize any number of things can happen, ie; rings don't seat properly etc...

So, back to my initial inquiry. If a GEX rebuild sells for $2K and a McMark rebuild sells for $5K, I suspect a rebuild would at the very least fall into the low range? Neither those options gets you new FI, SSI's and a Triad either. Perhaps not all are deal makers/breakers but they have to add value.
SLITS
agree.gif

Come on up to the shop in Riverside and you can drool on various flat sixes just for fun. Sunday Services start about 9 AM on most Sundays. The Right Reverend Mr. Meier will be on hand to bless your efforts.
kconway
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 28 2010, 12:28 PM) *

agree.gif

Come on up to the shop in Riverside and you can drool on various flat sixes just for fun. Sunday Services start about 9 AM on most Sundays. The Right Reverend Mr. Meier will be on hand to bless your efforts.

Milt will probably kill me when I call him and ask him to come over to weld up an engine mount... happy11.gif
sixaddict
All the participants have mucho experience and when you have it they are not always good hence we learn.
The six makes a geat car but the ancillary goodies makes the engine just part of the cost. There are several places to get the shopping list of goodies needed so I won't go there. Engines: with large number of 3 and 3.2 s out there you can find one almost for less than a 2.2. to 2.7 plus they are generally much more reliable. Both require a few extra parts that cost though. That 2.4 with CIS was a rare solid deal.....carbs are easier to deal with unless it is 3 or 3.2 then it might be ok to go that route. Unbeliveable amount of info is avail here and Bird site. And the members have help in BIG ways ! Good luck
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(ME733 @ Jan 28 2010, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 28 2010, 02:33 PM) *

............OK...my curosity can not stand it!!! I am asking "how you know"...and please include all the gory/horrable/ frustrating/ piss you off to hell and back details/. As I am a gear head , you might can add some more to my, and the collective knowledge base....thanks M.M.

click the link in my sig wink.gif basically I bought a rebuilt engine from someone who bought a rebuilt engine... he'd ran it for about 1000 miles... the person I bought it from is reputable, the person he bought it from is now confused24.gif

long story short, I bought it but kept it safe until I could use it... as soon as I use it it is not running right... so I took it to a local pro at these cars (has been LITERALLY) working on them since they were new(when he was a porsche dealership mechanic ) he did some checks and tried to tune it in, but could hear it leaking at the heads. leakdown test confirmed... the heads had been rebuilt, but BADLY, they had been cut crooked and thus were never going to seal to the cylinders... upon teardown... the stock cylinders had been over-cut for 96mm pistons, the pistons were burned, the cam was flat on 2 lobes and split on a third... the crank and rods were fine.... it turned out to be an $$ core. live and learn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.