Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oli light and oil gauge, wiring confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
OK engine is back in piratenanner.gif Fuel system is in place new hard lines, new rotary pump mounted and re plumed to carbs (no gas yet) and I"m working through the wiring... I want the oil pessure gauge and light. I put in the dual sender, wile the engine was still out,,, engine has been completly rebuilt,,, we pre primed it out of the car, using the starter, with the valve covers off, cranked till we saw oil comming to the rockers,,, finished it up and just got it put it in the car... Now I would like to know that there is oil pressure before firing the engine,,, let me say nothing worked in the way of gauges before, so I'm trying to fix the DAPO stuff.... I have the red/green wire at the sender for the light, I know it is the right wire because it I touch it to ground it lights up the green oil light in the dash... but if I hook it up to the dual sender, it doesnt light up?? even when I crank the engine.. shouldnt I turn the key forward and get the light? When does it light up?? when you get oil pressure ,, or when there is a lack oil pressure? is there a wire I can use for the oil pressure gauge? I have looked in my wiring diagram in my books and I am a little confused ... Thanks
detoxcowboy
Lights up as a lack of pressure warning, should light pre-start when ignition key is turned but not engaged and should go out as car is started if there is oil pressure ..

if your dual sender is the vdo style, then it should light at 11psi and it will go out anything above that..

keep in mind though the stock pressure sender lights at 7psi and will go out anything above that..

so because of this psi differemce sometimes with the aftermarket vdo the pressure dummy light will flicker at idle..

there are colored 914 electrical diagrams at PelicanParts.com
wayne1234
so I wonder why it doesnt light up when I have it hooked to sender? and just key turned forward?
VaccaRabite
Are you *sure* that the sender is grounded? If the sender does not ground to the case, then it won't work. the sender in the stock location grounds by design. But once the sender is set up with a remote hose, as you have to do with the dual sender, it no longer naturally grounds. You either need to make sure the mount you make is conductive to the engine block, or that you have a grounding wire from the sender to the block.

Zach
wayne1234
ok did a quick test, the sender is grounded so thats not the problem... if I touch my wire to the oil sender body it will light up the dash light... but either terminal will not light up the light on the dash... Do I have a bad new sender? how do I test a sender?
type47
Since it's a dual sender, do you have the gauge hooked up? What about the terminals for the light and gauge? Do you have the light connected to the correct terminal on the dual sender?
wayne1234
I tried both terminals,,, I dont know do I have to have the gauge hooked up also? there are 3 terminals on the gauge + S and unmarked ,,, I assume S is for the sender and the unmarked is at the botom which on my other gauge (Oil temp)(also not hooked up yet, I forgot to put the sensor in the taco plate before putting in oil) is ground... it has the "console harness" but since it didnt work before (there was no dual sender) I dont know if everything is there... thats why I asked about wire for the oil pressure gauge being there.... damn this sucks
SLITS
Wire for the oil pressure gauge doesn't exist in the harness. You have to run a separate wire.

detoxcowboy
there is a wire for the dummy light oil pressure, there is not one for the pressure needle gauge.. take a picture of your dual sender installation, according to what you say is happening the duummy light is lighted when you ground it to the body of the sender but not when you place it connected to the correct tab.. are you sure you do not have the wiring on the light revered?? pics help..
underthetire
I would pull the sender at this point and attach the idiot light switch to the hose/extension and ground the outside of the switch. Attach your original wire to that and test it. or you could simply check with a multimeter from ground to the light terminal on the dual sender and see if its actually working. Should be closed with no oil pressure.

Also check to make sure something in your line is not allowing the pressure to bleed off. 11 psi is not to hard to maintain if there is a kink in the hose.
wayne1234
Well it was a bad sender!!! I hooked up a stock single sender, and it worked fine , cranked it till it went out 7-10 seconds first time. and then finished up a couple of little things and now................ It has started cheer.gif ran a little rough at first, but smoothed out and we ran it for about 20 minutes. now I need to finish up the wiring I have some temporary stuff, like the oil light, and fuel pump wiring. but it felt like a huge hurdle has been jumped..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.