Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: haynes manual question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
while re-assembling my front end i consulted the sacred haynes manual as to how to mount the hubs on the spindle page 100, fig 7.2 , # 16 ..verse 9. book of john.

yea tho i mount the the guard plate as thy sayeth, thy hub shall not spin, nor shall thy clamping nut have the clearence to clampeth.
could this most sacred of all books ...BE WRONG? damn picture don't even look like mine. seems to work better if i turn it over.

P.S. Eric
don't send me one for christmas, this one screws me up just fine shades.gif
ME733
Maybe some one inserted incorrect pages , from another porsche car...by accident...some where I,ve seen a bo-bo before.
SLITS
Assembly drawing is correct. Sure you have the right rotors for the spindle. From the images of your of your ball joints, you have early struts and should have non-hubcentic rotors. Shoot an image of the front of your rotors.

AND, did you get the wheel bearing seated completely or for that matter assembled correctly?

While you don't need guard plate, it keeps shit off the rotor to a degree.
nycchef
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 28 2010, 12:39 PM) *

Assembly drawing is correct. Sure you have the right rotors for the spindle. From the images of your of your ball joints, you have early struts and should have non-hubcentic rotors. Shoot an image of the front of your rotors.

AND, did you get the wheel bearing seated completely or for that matter assembled correctly?

While you don't need guard plate, it keeps shit off the rotor to a degree.

i flipped the guard plate over and it spins fine. i guess it's becuse mine is a 914 SE (satanic edition)
while we're here, the book (ugh) says to torque down the locking nut, i assume that means the allen nut.
SLITS
Ok, easiest way is to tighten the spindle nut until you can't move the washer behind it and I don't mean tighten it with a 4' cheater bar. Once it's tight against the washer, back the nut off about 1/8 turn and see if you can move the washer with a screwdriver (prying against the side). If you can move it, lock the nut with the allen head fastner.

When you take it for a drive, run it a few miles (10 or so), stop and get out and feel the hubs. If they're hot, it's to tight**. If not, probably just right.

**Make sure your brakes are not binding heating up the rotor.

Ok, you've got my $0.05 worth. Next ....................
nycchef
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 28 2010, 03:53 PM) *

Ok, easiest way is to tighten the spindle nut until you can't move the washer behind it and I don't mean tighten it with a 4' cheater bar. Once it's tight against the washer, back the nut off about 1/8 turn and see if you can move the washer with a screwdriver (prying against the side). If you can move it, lock the nut with the allen head fastner.

When you take it for a drive, run it a few miles (10 or so), stop and get out and feel the hubs. If they're hot, it's to tight**. If not, probably just right.

**Make sure your brakes are not binding heating up the rotor.

Ok, you've got my $0.05 worth. Next ....................

thanks will do
rich
jsayre914
yes the book can be wrong, i just found out my valve were set to the book at .006 and .008 wich i found out was a misprint. and i fixed it .006 .006

that was just before i dropped a valve and parked it piratenanner.gif

sad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 28 2010, 05:59 PM) *

yes the book can be wrong, i just found out my valve were set to the book at .006 and .008 wich i found out was a misprint. and i fixed it .006 .006

that was just before i dropped a valve and parked it piratenanner.gif

sad.gif

I was the one who mentioned this to you.. and Betty found it over 20 years ago......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.