Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virginia City Hillclimb gone!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
I got the news today, oh boy.
Got a letter today from the man who has been behind the Virginia City Hillclimb for the past 12 years, Frank Beddor. He and the Audi club are withdrawing their support of the hillclimb mainly because of the accident last year. A overzealous Viper driver on his first run of the day, his first time at the hillclimb, put his car over the side and killed himself and female passenger. The hillclimb has been run since '71 in June, usually on Fathers Day. It was originally put on by the Ferrari Owners Club until Frank took over with the Audi club. I attended 11 years and will miss it. There is still an event held in September by the FCA. If anyone has a contact person for that event I would appreciate the info.
Brad Roberts
Figures. The one thing I wanted to do this year was run that event. My friend Gary Bayless is big time into it and happens to be very good friends with the entire Beddor family.

Sucky. I heard about the Viper event and new it wouldnt last after that one.

B
Lawrence
Is it possible to run the event without this gentleman's assistance?

-Rusty
seanery
Gary's the 912 guy, right?
I saw the info on his car on the PP member pages.
drew365
Putting on the Hillclimb is a major undertaking. The course is intersected by a county line so there are permits and regulations to deal with from both counties besides the ever increasing demands of the newer neighbors to the route. Brad; Twelve years ago there was a major fight in the FOC and the northern CA chapter broke off and joined the FCA and started running their own event in Sept. That's when Beddor took over the June event. If you can find anyone that participates in that event and find out a contact # you might be able to get in. I'll be doing the same and will let you know if I find anything out.
Lawrence
Best of luck rescuing your event.

Seems that our driving event opportunities are slowly drying up, as hosts, sponsors and the government fear liability and complaints of noise.

-Rusty
kdfoust
Isn't there a hillclimb at Torrey Pines? I have this vauge memory of accidentally running across it a few years ago.

Kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Apr 5 2003, 03:06 PM)
Isn't there a hillclimb at Torrey Pines?

donno about Torrey Pines. there is a HillCross (PCA's only sanction Hillclimb) at the Silver Sage Region's Bogus Basin Bachanalia event held every year over Memorial Day.
check out http://www.pca.org/ss/BogusBasin.htm for more information.

many of the participants in last year's West Coast Wramble drove the route of the Virginia City Hillclimb on the tour.

---r
J P Stein
Bout time you showed up, Rich. wavey.gif
ArtechnikA
i've been busy. since there are quite a few names i recognise from The Other List that i haven't seen there, i'll give you The Short Version and move it into a separate thread if it seems appropriate...

after trying (unsuccessfully) for two years to make any kind of living doing the airbrush art thing i came across an opportunity to get back into engineering, and it's time, Now, For Something Completely Different. so we're headed back to the Philadelphia area for a new adventure. so i'm doing some part-time contract engineering work for the new company (www.Ross-Tech.com) that makes diagnostic (OBD-II scan-port) software for the VAG line of cars and (as soon as i get back there fulltime) another manufacturer which the terms of my non-disclosure agreement prohibit me from mentioning... it will be fun, and it's been a long time since i've been able to say that, and with two incomes we should be able to slowly dig our way out of the pit.

so i've been busy doing the bazillion things that have to get done before we can sell the house. (I HATE PLUMBING!!!) i've been busy painting doorprize paintings for the local events i've agreed to support (SVRs CRAB 30 and SSR's Bogus Basin Bachannalia) and to have stuff to show for sale at the Hershey meet.

i'm taking about half the stuff and the 914/6 back to storage in time to be there for the Hershey event, picking up Rusty's '71 911E along the way. we'll do some househunting, try to wrap up a lease, then scurry back, pack up everything, sell the house, and get all moved to PA around the middle of May. the 356 will get trailered behind the Huge Truck for the real move...

i'll still be trying to do the airbrush art thing, but it will have to be a 'supplemental income' resources-available thing. the business side is pretty well set up and the website is in decent shape (http://www.ArtechnikA.com thanks for asking...) so 'sustaining' should be more or less straightforward from this point. Riesentöter Region is HUGE compared to Sierra Nevada (although there are comparatively few 914 owners) and i'm glad to have transferred my Region newsletter editor and wenmaster duties to a successor. i think it will be nice to just participate in Region events again, for a change. in an actual running Porsche, Wow !
Brad Roberts
HUm... Jon Watts works for Snap-On and does this same thing (In San Jose)

Good to have you Rich. I figured you where busy. Please keep us informed of the move and stay in touch when you get the computer setup in PA.

B
TimT
Riesentöter Region Rocks!!

I am a member of Metro NY Pca, I love to run Riesentöter events.. they allow different makes and put on a great event... a class act.

Occasionally Riesentöter and Metro will secure track time for back to back dates..

How about 5 days at Watkins Glen? its not happening this year but it has in the past..

beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.