Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's using Braille?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hello folks,

One of my projects for this year is to have a hissyfit.gif LEAK hissyfit.gif free battery. I have looked at Optima and Odyssey and I see many members here use Optima. But I am tempted to go to Braille since it weighs much lesser.

I am currently looking at this particular one: http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/batteries/b2317r/

So let me hear what you folks think.

Any comment would be appreciated. pray.gif
patssle
⠊ ⠁⠍ ⠥ ⠎ ⠊ ⠝ ⠛ ⠊ ⠞
plymouth37
QUOTE(patssle @ Jan 30 2010, 10:37 AM) *

⠊ ⠁⠍ ⠥ ⠎ ⠊ ⠝ ⠛ ⠊ ⠞

av-943.gif you sure are!
tod914
Looks like all the mounts require drilling :S.
Chris Hamilton
I've had a few batteries from Braille and not had very good luck with them. I would not recommend them. 2 x 6lbs ones stopped charging and a larger one cracked and started leaking.

I would also recommend that you check out Deka batteries as they have a few that look identical to the braille, I suspect braille is just taking those and relabeling them.

I do however like the optima yellow top batteries. I have a few of those that have lasted more than 10 years, and only one failure out of the 7 that I've bought.
70Sixter
I've got the 17 lb version and so far so good. Since summer. Brass terminals and mountable on its side - which I did. No racing or tracking. But my CG probly went done an .001 mm or so. smile.gif

Comes with plastic mount, or aluminum version for racing. About $80 for the metal secure mount IIRC.

I don't have any electronics besides OEM radio.

Bought mine from TireRack.
kkid
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jan 30 2010, 12:26 PM) *

I've had a few batteries from Braille and not had very good luck with them. I would not recommend them. 2 x 6lbs ones stopped charging and a larger one cracked and started leaking.

I would also recommend that you check out Deka batteries as they have a few that look identical to the braille, I suspect braille is just taking those and relabeling them.

I do however like the optima yellow top batteries. I have a few of those that have lasted more than 10 years, and only one failure out of the 7 that I've bought.

Thanks for the comment, Chris.

How did all the crack and leak happen to your larger Braille? Hope those were covered by warranty. I might want to pass Deka since it's not popular among the 914 world. I would take the red top(35) if Optima. The yellow top is lighter and more compact than the other but I don't think it will clear the rain tray. How's yours?

BTW, are you running a shop in Berkeley?

Chris Hamilton
I'm not sure how the crack happened, my friend had it mounted in his S2000.

You should be able to get the yellow top in any size they make the red top in ( including a nice small one that's like 30-35lbs ), and the yellow top is a deep cycle so you can't hurt it by running it down and charging it a bunch.

Not running a shop, I just have a bunch of 914s and help my friends with theirs. My dad is a ( mostly ) retired race engine builder.

btw you should come out to the first PCA autocross at Alameda on March 20th. I'll be co-chairing that one and it should be a great event.
rascobo
I have to agree with Chris. The Optima Yellow Top is vastly superior to the Red Top. Over the years I;ve gone through 3 or 4 of the Reds,they seemed to fail between 1 and 3 years (they don't much like to be charged), I got a Yellow Top five years ago and still going strong. I thought I'd have to sacrifice cranking power (running a GM 4.3V6), 15-20 yrs back there was a considerable difference but not anymore.
kkid
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Jan 30 2010, 02:26 PM) *

I've got the 17 lb version and so far so good. Since summer. Brass terminals and mountable on its side - which I did. No racing or tracking. But my CG probly went done an .001 mm or so. smile.gif

Comes with plastic mount, or aluminum version for racing. About $80 for the metal secure mount IIRC.

I don't have any electronics besides OEM radio.

Bought mine from TireRack.

Yeah, TireRack offers a great deal on this one. It comes with a mounting kit which is $19.99 if bought directly from Braille. I am still dreaming about having this one. Can you post the pic of the battery installed please? And amaze us how small it is.

Thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.