Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 why!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wheelboy
Hey I been thinking (my opinion ) The 914 is a better looking car than the 912 and more stylish so why the 912 is more expenses than the 914?? I know the 914 has a vw engine but WHY!!!!! or Why the 914 is so cheap!!!! come on is a great car.
jmill
It's all about the heritage. The 914 is Porsches bastard child. While the 912 is considered legitimate.
aircooledtechguy
With the 912, you're basically getting a clone 911 that's slow and gets better insurance rates because of it. 911s are the flagship product of Porsche; they're not going to sell their best seller cheaper than the entry level Porsche (AKA-914).

Even if you are partial to the 914 body style, you have to admit that the 911 basic shape IS an absolutely stunning and time-less design. . .
underthetire
QUOTE(wheelboy @ Jan 30 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Hey I been thinking (my opinion ) The 914 is a better looking car than the 912 and more stylish so why the 912 is more expenses than the 914?? I know the 914 has a vw engine but WHY!!!!! or Why the 914 is so cheap!!!! come on is a great car.

912E had the same engine as ours....
zymurgist
I don't have an answer wheelboy, but I like your avatar. beerchug.gif
grouperalley
QUOTE(wheelboy @ Jan 30 2010, 09:55 AM) *

In addition, to the 912 being a beautiful car and in some ways better than an early 911,and replacement costs, as signifigant is the car's demographic appeal. A 912/early 911 was the fantasy car for men 55-65, who are generally now better able financially ( than a 30 year old with first house to buy, student loans etc) to acquire their dream. If someone is buying a car , as a hobby/fantasy/ toy car the performance or looks are not a meaningful issue, it's does it satisfy the itch. By any objective standard a 90's honda crx si is a better/ cheaper car i.e more hp, a/c, dependable, than a 912, a miata is better than mgb, or alfa spider but for me and most other 55 year old men, i didn't fantasis about owning a crx/Miata when i was in high school.
Similarly, for what i've got invested in restoring a 914 i could have bought a used Boxster, but day in day out i'd rather drive the Lexus and have a unique, but less high performance, less dependable, less a/c 914 as my toy. Wait 20 years and i bet a nice crx will be worth more than a 912 etc., because the demand for 912's will decrease and the CRX will increase.
Sleepin
if you want to get really confused, compare 914 prices with Karmann Ghia's.....
Steve
You would have to have owned a 911/912 to understand. The build quality is night and day better with a 911/912. A 911/912 has thicker metal and are much heavier. The interior, seats, doors, etc.. are night and day better quality than a 914. A 911/912 also has a back seat for infants and small kids when you first get married. You also don't have to worry about stiffening up the chassis or transmission issues with a 911 like you do with a 914. Having said that, i am selling my 993 and keeping the 914. The 914 is funner to drive, lighter, corners better and has no lift throttle over steer crap going on like a 911. However my three little girls are mad at me because two of them fit comfortably in the back of the 911 and the other one can sit in the front. With the 914 i can only take one and they fight over who's turn it is.
Karmann Gia doesn't make sense though... There both from the same factory. Maybe there is less of them.. Supply and demand.
scotty b
Pretty simple IMHO for years the 914 has been a bastard child. Demonized by the Porsche crowd as a VW and belittled by all as being ugly. Sure some of you here think it is a beautiful car, BUT in general it is considerd awkward looking and unattractive. I for one think it is a fairly unattractive car in it's stock form. That is why I love flares, wide aluminum wheels, wart deleting and other mods. I got into the cars not for their asthteic appeal but for their handling and low end super car potential. I have grown to love the ugliness, much like I have with the VW Thing I have. I've also been a big proponent of the 924 as a car with great handling ability, while others cal it an all around P.O.S. 5 lug setup with poly bushings makes that car a track terror. Engine is damn near bulletproof. Underpowerd ? Definitely, so is the 914 poke.gif
mepstein
All of the above and one more thing, it was (relatively) inexpensive. People tend to lust after the pricier things in life. If Porsche halved the price of the 911, they would be less atractive from a status point of view. Most doctors, lawyers, ect. don't need a 911 to commute to the office.

Also, it becomes a 2nd car (optional) if you have kids.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.