Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coat question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Kind of a dumb question but here it goes.

I have a set of 16x7 Fuchs that were powder coated by the PO in a glossy black finish. They look very nice but the high gloss does not really jive with my personal taste and the other black trim on the car, which is satin or flat.

Can I potentially "rough up" the finish with a coarse buffer or fine sandpaper to take it to more of a satin gloss, or would that completely F* up the powder coat? If it would go cloudy or splotchy/uneven I would rather just leave 'em alone.

Thanks,
TJB/914
Hi All,

Just a heads up on "PowderCoating" Here's a web site to learn all about Powdercoating.
Note all powdercoating is equal!!
Tom

Powdercoating.org
Jeroen
Hey Chris,

I'm not sure, but I'd think it would be very hard to get an even result

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
sell them and buy some that are "youre style" wink.gif
Gint
Jeroen is right. You'll have a hard time getting a consistent rough or flat finish on a gloss surface.
Dave_Darling
What we used to do for models:

Use glossy paint. For a non-glossy finish, use a semi-gloss or flat clear coat over the top. The shine is in the surface, right? So just change the surface and you should change the shine.

(Does not necessarily work going the other way, though--because you'll still see the matte surface through a clear coat, even if the latter is high-gloss.)

--DD
415PB
Get some De-Kote, it will not harm your polished area. Just spray it on the gloss black portion. The powdercoat will bubble and you can wipe it right off. Then wash em, scuff em and paint them to your liking. I have done this several times before.....
Joe Bob
Brillo pad and a rattle can....done....
seanery
I like Dave's idea. I have some of that stuff. I was gonna use it on some injun parts that I didn't want to shiny. I ended up using shiny stuff anyway, but that sounds like a real gud idear.
Brad Roberts
Break cleaner will eat Powder coat also... ask me how I know.. headbang.gif

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.