Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 951 in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Since Rich has put a 928 motor in his car. We know that it can be done, what are your thoughts and ideas? I know the firewall will have to be moved. What else would be interesting/tough?
brians914
A new Dodge Hemi?
Aaron Cox
917 - 12 engine..... clap56.gif
tat2dphreak
300ZX twin turbo motor or Turbo Supra motor... biggrin.gif
davep
QUOTE(acox914 @ Mar 24 2004, 01:56 PM)

I want the 16 cyl I saw in the factory museum! That means room for 12 more cylinders than I have now. That ought to stretch the engine compartment. laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 24 2004, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Mar 24 2004, 01:56 PM)

I want the 16 cyl I saw in the factory museum! That means room for 12 more cylinders than I have now. That ought to stretch the engine compartment. laugh.gif

i guess i could settle for a flat 8...... geez. laugh.gif
seanery
thanks for all the different ideas, but what I meant was...."what do you think be involved in making the 951 work?" LOL!
tat2dphreak
pretty sure a radiator and hose will be involved... confused24.gif cool_shades.gif
Andyrew
Its too big. I have considered this option as well, but the engine/trani would be hard to match with a 914 or such.. since there is a driveline involved. I have put down more negatives to this engine (high repair costs.. cost of conversion, difficulty, ext.) that it is just not worth the effort.

Andrew
Dave_Darling
Probably not much more involved in making the 951 engine work than the 928 one. Details like exhaust and intake would be additional, but that's not much compared with the major surgery on the car required to just make the sucker fit.

--DD
seanery
dave, that's pretty much the same as I thought. I'd love to have about 300 turbo charged hp back there. I bet being a turbo you could still be somewhat easy on the tranny, too.
Andyrew
ya, Question about the "300hp" limit on our trani's..

Is that because, when you first put it into gear the gears have to lock, and with more than 300hp, the gears wont lock? and is that fret 1st gear? Because if it is, a turbo engine (like that of a 951 that pops the boost out at 3.5k stock and maybe 3k or so with some free flowing air) will hit its power at a higher rpm, therefore when the gear is already fully engaged. (thats assuming you're not "launching" the car at 3k, because I dont..)

Andrew
seanery
that's my thought process anyway. Don't know if it's right or not. confused24.gif
Joe Bob
There was actual THOUGHT in this process?
seanery
bootyshake.gif
JeffBowlsby
The following is meant as constructive criticism...don't flame me...I'm a stock-4 guy...but if it was me...why limit oneself to the stock engine bay?

I think we sometimes have the wrong paradigm when thinking about the 'problem'. We ponder and study how much engine we can fit into a 914...

Paul W, Rick O, the Baja 914 and that guy across the pond with the white snorkel car have their perspectives right...how liittle 914 must one wrap around a fire-breathing drivetrain... idea.gif

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
seanery
I like the idea of a stock appearing 914 that will "wooooosh" by you while you go WTF was that?
tat2dphreak
couldn't the rear trunk be replaced with something like a tube-frame to allow for more space? it could still "appear" stock from the outside...
seanery
the tranny location is fixed (unless you want to change the wheelbase), so I don't think so.
tat2dphreak
true, but I thought the 915 tranny was a little shorter... confused24.gif
Mueller
the tranny location is fixed (unless you want to change the wheelbase), so I don't think so.

no it isn't !!!!!

the V8 cars normally move the transmission back 1.5" (or there abouts)...........Rich (928-alien) cut down the bellhousing to make more room....and I think he moved the transmission back some.
Andyrew
Its not "fixed" because we have half shafts that enable the trani to be moved, ie some play in the trani location, instead of a solid axle rear end like a muscle car..

Correct?

Im trying to comprehend this stuff..

Andrew
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 24 2004, 06:06 PM)
ya, Question about the "300hp" limit on our trani's..

Is that because, when you first put it into gear the gears have to lock, and with more than 300hp, the gears wont lock? and is that fret 1st gear? Because if it is, a turbo engine (like that of a 951 that pops the boost out at 3.5k stock and maybe 3k or so with some free flowing air) will hit its power at a higher rpm, therefore when the gear is already fully engaged. (thats assuming you're not "launching" the car at 3k, because I dont..)

Andrew

No. They "lock" together well enough to shred the teeth off of 2nd gear, which is part of the shaft.
1st mounts on a smaller dia section of the shaft. The rest has to do with the case flexing.
The easy trick is to use small tires 205-225. Not enough torque is able to build up (from tires spinning) to damage anything.

I actually feel there are diminishing returns after 200hp. A 12 second car does not feel that much faster than a 13 second car. We're talking 1/2 less second to 60...

Oh, and I moved my tranny UP 1.25" hehe

Chris
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 24 2004, 10:23 PM)
Its not "fixed" because we have half shafts that enable the trani to be moved, ie some play in the trani location, instead of a solid axle rear end like a muscle car..

Correct?

Im trying to comprehend this stuff..

Andrew

thats correct....wheels in same place but tranny can be moved in X or Y plane a couple of inches
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.