Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield chrome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
My windshield is in, and I have the chrome strip that surrounds it, but I can't see how the chrome strip is secured to the car. There are small clips on the windshield frame that seem to be there for the purpose, but they don't "grab" the flange on the back of the chrome strip.

What's the secret? Am I missing another piece?

Thanks
ejm
The chrome attaches directly to those clips which were hopefully replaced when the glass was out. The usual reason the chrome won't clip on is that the glass was set too high.
timofly
QUOTE(ejm @ Jan 31 2010, 05:09 PM) *

The chrome attaches directly to those clips which were hopefully replaced when the glass was out. The usual reason the chrome won't clip on is that the glass was set too high.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. BTW, the w/s was installed by a very well-respected Porsche shop. Is there any cure other than removing the w/s again?
Cupomeat
Often the trim clips crack or break when the previous trim is removed.

It is recommended that they be replaced for each trim install AND (and here is the bad part) they can really only be installed when the W/S is out.

If they are cracked, they will not hold the trim, which seems obvious, but unless you are able to compare to some good ones, it might not have been clear.

I hope that helped.
timofly
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jan 31 2010, 08:53 PM) *

It is recommended that they be replaced for each trim install AND (and here is the bad part) they can really only be installed when the W/S is out.

If they are cracked, they will not hold the trim, which seems obvious, but unless you are able to compare to some good ones, it might not have been clear.

I hope that helped.

Sigh... Thanks. The clips are intact, they just don't grab. Are there any useful alternatives that wouln't require the w/s to be removed?
gothspeed
QUOTE(timofly @ Feb 2 2010, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jan 31 2010, 08:53 PM) *

I hope that helped.

Sigh... Thanks. The clips are intact, they just don't grab. Are there any useful alternatives that wouln't require the w/s to be removed?

I think you could 'form' the trim towards the clips. I beleive with time the aluminum bends away from the clips.
GeorgeRud
If you're not married to the chrome trim, Brian Frenz sells an alternative black windshield surround that can be stuck on without the clips.
steveherman
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 3 2010, 10:46 PM) *

If you're not married to the chrome trim, Brian Frenz sells an alternative black windshield surround that can be stuck on without the clips.

where does one get this piece?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(steveherman @ Feb 3 2010, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 3 2010, 10:46 PM) *

where does one get this piece?

Brian is 736conver here on the club
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.